Novatac Light Engine / Driver Question

jwl

Enlightened
There are 4 contacts inside rear of the Novatac head. The center (brass colored) contact is +, then there is a thin ring around that. This thin ring does not contact anything as far as I can see. Then there is the fat ring around the thin ring. Then the LE retaining ring, which is also part of the circuit.

What is the purpose of the thin ring? I noticed when I was working on making a custom spring to use the 18650 Li-ion inside the 17670 battery tube that a couple time the light output got really really bright. I think that the spring I was working on contacted both the thin inner ring and the fat ring next to it. Could if be possible that this could be a way to get more power through the circuit? (Probably just a way to burn out the LE.)

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
im waiting as well. i am interested in the set up of the novatac. on the topic... i need a new clip. lol:candle:

nobody

Newly Enlightened
Good Question. Contacts nothing electrically, MY GUESS is that it serves some mundane function such as mechanically holding things together or +/- isolation or heat mitigation or.........................>>>>>?????????? THANX A LOT NOW I HAVE TO KNOW. :D

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you just bipassed the brains and put the light in direct drive?? I think only a Novatac guru can answer this question. A quick email to Nova never hurts, but you may void your warranty tampering with the light, so keep details to a minimum...

BBL

Enlightened
i think that might be a serial interface for programming/firmware update.