I've seen the light!

how

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone! I've been reading the forums for quite a while now and have learned alot about flashlights. One thing I didn't understand though was why some of you (other than the collectors)need soooo many different lights???

Well, I finally learned why. Now, I've read countless times that people have different lights for different things (edc, work, camping, bob, car, loaner,....on and on...) but it never really made sense. Why not just get one multi mode light of your favorite flavor and be done? Well, I learned why you guys have so many last night.

I have a small collection: I EDC a L2Dce (P4, I think), and have acuired over the last couple of years: SF G2, Pelican M1 3310, Palm Blaze, Dorcy 1Watt? 3AAA, Inova RAD2AT?, DX IR light, and a AAA keychain light (Dorcy?), and a couple old decomissioned 2AA MiniM*Gs from years back,...anyways...
Most of my lights live in my desk drawer at home except for my L2D EDC of course and my Palm Blaze, which, after the novelty of having a flashlight with a square beam wore off, now resides in my car's glove box. All the lights except for the L2D hardly see any use. I buy a light, replace it with another and toss the old one in said drawer to collect dust until the next blackout.
***:crackup:hahaha...not to go off topic, but a security guard where I'm at just walked in as I was typing this to show me his new Leatherman Monarch 500 LED flashlight!!!:crackup:*** not bad!!!:twothumbs
...back on track>>>
Lately my girlfriend has been taking her walks later in the evening, we live in Palm Springs, so It's been pretty hot. I've been telling her to take a flashlight with her for safety since she heads out @ sunset. Never gave any thought to which she has been taking, and didn't really care,...until last night. Last night she asked if I wanted to go walk with her. Since I hurt my foot running on the treadmill the day before she thought a walk would do me good and be a nice break from the treadmill til my foot feels better. So I agreed. I grab my L2D and headed for the door as she handed me my Pelican M1. "Here's a flashlight." she says. I reply "Oh, I grabbed mine too". I proceeded to stuff the M1 in my pocket.
We proceeded off the lawn and into the street for a couple trips around the neighborhood when all of a sudden......A loud thunderous BOOM! I look up and see that the sky has parted and this angelic music plays all the while a giant column of light beams down from above and then I realize........

.......Of all the lights in that drawer, she had to take one that uses CR123's :confused:. I've officially seen the light. :wave:

Now I know you guys reading this are wondering,..."WTF is he getting at?" Here it is.
I work for a large Audio Visual company and we change out batteries on alot of our devices very frequently. It is unfortunate that we go through soo many, but it comes with the business. Anyway, as an effort to minimize waste or be green or whatever, I take home the partially used batteries from microphones, remotes, etc...and use them up in my devices at home. Most of the batteries are AA's, 9v's, and from time to time, AAA's. ALOT of these batteries still have at least 1/2 to 3/4 or more of their life still so it really is a huge waste, but a huge plus for me. Naturally, I tend to gravitate to devices (flashlights, digicams, etc) I can run on AA's, since they are what we mostly go through and I have plenty. So My lights that run on CR123's (G2, PelicanM1, Palm Blaze) rarely, if ever, see use. The G2 was my first "high end" light, then the Palm Blaze, and the Pelican M6 was a freebie from Pelican. Shortly after is when I realized how many batteries we waste and decided to go the AA route for my lights.
Back to my "moment of clarity">>>
While on my walk I started thinking, "hmmmm, why did she grab this light? Which light should she have grabbed?" I then started to go through each light in my head: >>>>>>This is the exact moment where it actually happens>>>>>>
-G2: maybe too bulky for her, uses CR123's (which I only have two spares left), but simple single mode operation and bright.
-Dorcy 3AAA, Definately bulky and maybe a little too heavy for a walking light.
-Inova RAD2AT?: slim, lightweight, simple single function clicky, but not bright enough to ward off any threat, might be too long for pocket.
-Keychain light: no.
-L2D: Too long, UI will drive her nuts, Great output.
-Pelican M1 3310: decent output, small, simple single mode clicky, but slightly bulky (again, running out of cr123's here!!!). I assume she thought it was the cutest and smallest of the bunch, hence her decision.

Through this moment of clarity I realize I need to buy a couple walking lights now since none of mine really cut it. I never gave much thought to buying a flashlight before (except the L2D which was my second purchase after learning about CPF), but this little walk I feel has just turned my wallet upside down. I've been reallllly good about buying lights, especially with all the new lights that cameout recently. Fenix's new lights, Zebas, JetBeams new lights, Nightcore, etc...soo many nice lights, soo little cash...but now I know how to justify the expense, this could get dangerous. WooHoo! D10 here I come! Now I gotta find something for the GF. I'll go DX for that!:nana:

Sorry for the long post, but I'm very bored with nothing to do, but everything is sooo true! (except for the booom and angelic music part):nana:

Thanks for all the great info CPF members!

Last edited:

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
that story made me smile and made COMPLETE sense to me (my mind works like you posted) :thumbsup: happy to have you here on CPF

Triple A

Newly Enlightened
:welcome: Long posts are fine! Good explaination. Trying this site quickly creates a search for the "one perfect light," which of course, doesn't exist. This leads to giant, (in my case 50 or more,) not quite perfect flashlights, each with its strong and weak points. (But because they are flashlights, mostly strong points:))

Enjoy your expanding collection!

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
dont ever break up with her. girl who appreciates lights? keeper fo'sure

Crenshaw

Latest posts