NDI tail switch mod??

Status
Not open for further replies.

84Maroon

Banned
Didn't I see someone modded an NDI switch to allow tail standing? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
cant remember off hand, but basically you just have to find a right sized o ring to put in the place between the top part of the base of the tail boot, and the end of the tail cap.

Crenshaw

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're thinking of this thread?

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/194050

img1137py6.jpg

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
what! how did i miss that, i was dying to know how beamhead did that..:ohgeez:

Crenshaw

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
if thats @ me....

nope, i sold it for funds to buy an Ex10....hard descision...but i had to, funds are just not what they used to be...:(

and the L1 mod IS brighter...

Crenshaw

Marduke

Flashaholic
If you put a o-ring between the rubber boot and the tailcap body, it allows tailstanding.

Or when needed you could just prop it up or set it inside something (like coffe mug, etc). I never understood the big deal about tailstand ability, when even if the light can do it, most lights are so unstable like this that the first bump and it falls over and dents something, so you have to prop it up or put it inside something anyhow.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I hear what you're saying, Marduke, I find tailstanding to be of excellent benefit in an EDC. At night when I go to the washroom, I find it very convenient to set the light down on the counter tail down to wash my hands, etc.

Or if I'm getting a drink in the kitchen, I can tailstand very quickly to get a cup of water. Very convenient without having to look for a container first. Tailstanding is a nice feature around the house and office.

84Maroon

Banned
I gave my wife an NDI for her bedside light, she likes to tailstand it on her nightstand sometimes.

gunga

Flashaholic
HI Maroon, I used a 16 mm glow ring from dx around the boot of my light. It tailstands when on, but wobble when off. Almost any o-ring would work if it was the correct size. It does leave a small gap around the tail where it screws into the body. THat can be filled with another glow-ring!

Marduke

Flashaholic
For late night runs, I can't stand tailstanding a light, because it inevitably ends up shining upwards into my eyes if it's set on anything below 5 ft tall, which hurts. Instead, I'll lay it sideways facing towards a wall, and do kind of a "wall bounce" instead of "ceiling bounce". Anti-roll is more preferable to tailstand for me most of the time. It's so much more stable to lay a light on it's side than stand it on end.

84Maroon

Banned
I wonder if one could shorten the clicky so it wouldn't protrude beyond the tail, it wouldn't need to be taken down much.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if one could shorten the clicky so it wouldn't protrude beyond the tail, it wouldn't need to be taken down much.
You could,but the switch cover will still protrude you have to get the switch cover lower down into the tail cap with a spacer i.e o-ring over the swicth cover or a shorter switch cover :D

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
You could,but the switch cover will still protrude you have to get the switch cover lower down into the tail cap with a spacer i.e o-ring over the swicth cover or a shorter switch cover :D

the 14mm GITD/orange/black ones from DX fit if you remove the interior rubber peg. They protrude less than stock, and would work fine if you put your spacer between the rubber boot and switch, instead of between the boot and tailcap.

I don't like it normally because since it fits tighter, it makes the switch much more sensitive if you don't put an additional spacer in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.