Idea to simplify and standardize the "which light should I buy" threads

GPB

Enlightened
There are a lot of threads where someone wants some guidance in which light would be best for them. If the poster isn't really "into" lights they may not be aware of the range of possibilities, or they may assume that everyone uses a light in a similar manner and not be as descriptive about their intended use. So..my idea was for someone to have a standard form in a sticky that has 10-12 questions pre-typed up. Then if you want to make a "what should I buy post" you just cut and paste these questions with your answers included. The list would have questions about where it'll be used, price range, preferred battery type, how it will be used, if multi-modes are important, is size important, brightness vs runtime, do they shop online, etc.

.....just a thought. My intention isn't to make the question so complicated that people stop asking, but just to make sure the question is posed in a thorough enough manner to get good recomendations.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I don't know... on one hand I can see the value in such an exercise. But I also think that part of the learning experience is to inquire, probe and ask... in ones own words. Part of the learning experience is being able to explain/educate and perceive/listen. Anyone can cookie-cutter-bang out a list of pre-determined questions... but I think its more thought provoking for someone to inquire about something in their own words.

Now on the other hand you get threads like this that go nowhere for 2-3 days, before the OPs real intent is known... I can definitely see the value in a pre-formatted inquiry.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/202419

Just my .02

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Part of the learning curve involves the sifting through and dissemination of opinions, facts, suggestions and reasons. I prefer to gain an understanding of what I want through such means, eventually basing my decision on what I have gleaned in the process.

Last edited:

Wattnot

Enlightened
If one was good at programming spread sheets or flow charts, or whatever, you could probably whittle down the choices by asking basic questions. Things like how much do you want to spend, that would drop a bunch. Rechargeable batteries or not . . . flood or spot, etc. It would save a lot of bandwidth here since we have a "which light is best for me" thread ever hour, or so it seems!!

Of course, nobody here, including myself, seems to mind talking about them and walking someone through all of the wonderful choices!

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
A form like edcf's recommendation check list is good. There even was one here stickied but dunno where it went.

Last edited:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a good idea GPB. Most people asking don't realize all the possiblities, and therefore don't specify their preferences in their question.

jake25

Enlightened
while i can see the point of asking your own questions, there are sometimes people who come in and dont even read the stickies and very helpful tips

most threads about, "what light do i buy" is resolved by giving them the link to sticky

i lurked for a long time bebfore i made my first post, i think its good to read through everything as adamlau said

but i also understand the whole thing about being lost and confused. i remember the first time i saw a cree was the U2 clone, i was so confused as to why it was making so much light since all i had was an inova x5, oh i remember those days:eek:

GPB

Enlightened
That checklist is exactly what I meant.....I had no idea we had one already. Thanks for reviving it...maybe we'll see it pop up from time to time now. Although, as a few others have mentioned, there's nothing wrong with the "back and forth" of the learning process and it does keep the board fresh.

Wattnot

Enlightened
That checklist is great. However, what I was saying above is if a computer software guru (I'm pretty good with the hardware but I'm lost staring a blank Excel screen) could have a database of lights catagorized to make the "narrowing down" automated, you would really have something! A little programming knowledge could go a long way here!

RGB_LED

Enlightened
EDCF's version of their checklist was originally based off our checklist. We already have one, but no one bothers to use it.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/96884&highlight=checklist
Marduke, that's a great find! I've never seen that list before either.

I looked at the sticky, 'Threads of Interest' and I didn't see this list there. Admin's, is it possible to add this to the list of 'Threads of Interest' so that it can be easily referenced?