LED flashlights, color tint and CPF? (Crazy???)

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Something I just noticed... am I crazy?

I think the color tint of CPF is playing tricks on my eyes.

Take your favorite LED light, use it around the house in the dark as you normally would. Sit for a moment and evaluate the beam color tint on a white wall. Freeze frame that color in your mind. Repeat several times if needed, try and remember the color tint.

OK...

Now surf CPF for 10-15 minutes as you normally would.

Take that same LED light and freshly after surfing CPF... inspect its color tint against the same white wall.

Is it just me... or is there now considerably less blue in the LED tint?... all my lights appear more yellow, slightly dimmer and more "Xenon-like" in color after surfing CPF.

Am I crazy?:eek:

kurni

Enlightened
I can only guess.

Does your CPF have blue background?

Could your eyes / brain be accustomed to blue after surfing CPF (if your CPF has blue background); hence when you observe your LED tint your brain says that there isn't enough blue?

PayBack

Enlightened
I can only guess.

Does your CPF have blue background?

Could your eyes / brain be accustomed to blue after surfing CPF (if your CPF has blue background); hence when you observe your LED tint your brain says that there isn't enough blue?

I suspect this is the case. I had the same issue in my job when our logs had a yellow background. After reading the logs for long enough everything else seemed slightly blue IIRC.

Stromberg

Enlightened
I haven't tried this "CPF tint test" but I have noticed very clearly that the tint of my led home lighting depends of the ambient light. In the kitchen I have 3 (2 + 1 setup) Rebels. Sometimes the 2 of them seem quite greenish but other times they may look neutrally white. Same thing in livingroom where is 5 * Seoul P4 setup, although tint in those is much better in all times.

I even remember this one evening last winter when I went outside and ALL car headlights(no matter what bulbs they used) had very distinct green tint.. This may sound crazy but when the sun went completely down, all lights looked normal again.

I think reason to these tint changes must be the way that our eyes or brains adjust to ambient light(or in your case monitor).

Last edited:

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't work for me. Maybe it's because my CPF looks like this....

:rolleyes:
my.php

my.php

Last edited:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
My, that's one ugly theme.

I stuck with CPF standard blue-white, as I find it easy to read.

As for the effect on your eyes, it's nothing new. Coloured backgrounds have this effect. There are several optical tricks you can do with this.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
to me, cpf is shades of blue, and white....those are its "national colors" equilivent

Crenshaw

Illum

Flashaholic
Its basically a side effect of our optical nerve getting used to a specific primary color, like blue or red and adds a temperoary filter in place during prolonged exposure, when you adjust your point of focus the "filter" is still fixiated, but will adjust in according to the new colors.

Try staring at a red sheet of paper for 10 minutes, you will notice everything else becomes greenish when you take your eyes off of it. Hence I stare at my white wall for awhile before comparing tint.:D

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aaaaarrrgh... :sick2: ... headache... :green: ... LOL
I agree. I can't stand to read anything with a black or dark background. It really hurts my eyes.

I don't know how people can do this without damaging their eyes... :shrug:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I prefer a dark background, and going onto CPF from forums with a darker background is really a shock to the system. Since CPF is optimised for a light background it looks horrible dark, though IMO.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I prefer a dark background, and going onto CPF from forums with a darker background is really a shock to the system. Since CPF is optimised for a light background it looks horrible dark, though IMO.
I find this very interesting.

When you read books, most printed material, etc, are white background with black print.

Trying to read white print on a black background is a shock to most people, who are used to reading traditional material. It's very very hard on my eyes, which are 20/20 and perfect vision.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your eyes normalize colors and they tend to shift over time. Put on a pair of yellow lensed sunglasses for twenty minutes then go outside and take them off, everything looks blueish. It's possible a similar effect is going on here.

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your eyes normalize colors and they tend to shift over time. Put on a pair of yellow lensed sunglasses for twenty minutes then go outside and take them off, everything looks blueish. It's possible a similar effect is going on here.

:D i have a super bright pair of yellow safety glasses and a blue pair and they are CRAZY!!

Illum

Flashaholic
I agree. I can't stand to read anything with a black or dark background. It really hurts my eyes.

I don't know how people can do this without damaging their eyes... :shrug:

:sigh: when you've worked in front of AutoCAD for 6 years you'd wish everything has a black background...books included:D

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aaaaarrrgh... :sick2: ... headache... :green: ... LOL
Glad everybody likes it. :kiss: :laughing: My YouTube is the same way..

Edit to add... The default white background washed out the videos most of the time. Especially if they were dark. For me, this makes the videos so much easier to view. Kinda like watching TV in a darkened room. :thumbsup:

It does take a little getting used to sometimes, for some people, but I find it so pleasing to the eyes. The default theme for CPF made my eyes hurt and gave me a headache if I read very long. Maybe it's my high-end CRT monitor. :shrug: It is very sharp and bright. Maybe it's time for a newer LCD type. :naughty:

But as far as the differing tint issue goes, it's as Illum_the_nation says and it's somewhat of an illusion. It also happens when comparing things of color next to each other. Like trying to choose paint for instance. When trying to match 2-color schemes, changing one color will often make the other look different.

Last edited: