ss Lighthound head won't work with my 6p dropin...

gstrand

Newly Enlightened
Anyone had issues with trying a new head over a dropin on a 6p and having the light not work? The ss lighthound head doesn't work with my R2 dropin, which works fine with the stock head. The ss head works fine on my plastic G2 with the dropin (springless.)

If I put the big spring on the dropin, the ss head works on the 6p body, but won't screw down all the way.

Looking for advice and if anyone else has had/solved this problem.

Thanks!

Last edited:

pertinax

Enlightened
Re: ss Lighthound head seems to short my 6p dropin...

I have the exact same problem-- but you misunderstand the situation. It's not "shorting" anything-- the drop-in is not making contact reliably with the metal in the head, because the head is too long.

The spring on the dropin is being pushed up by the batteries, so that the drop is in mashed against the glass-- and not touching the body, as it should.

I'm sticking with the Surefire head for the moment, though if I could take a couple of mm off of the G&P head, that would also work.

gstrand

Newly Enlightened

Cool. so... the problem is identified... thanks! I suppose I should be careful saying "short out" and removed it from the main message... lol... but what to do about it? The head works fine on my G2 and sort of looks cool on the yellow, but heck, it was almost as expensive as the light!

Last edited:

PinarelloOnly

Newly Enlightened

My Lighthound head can only be used with the SF P60L drop in on both
my 6P and C2. In my case the BOGUSA drop in has to be used with the
factory SF head vs. the Lighthound head.

photo

Last edited:

generic808

Enlightened
Cut maybe one or two coils from the large spring and it should work and be able to screw all the way down. That's what I did with my older non-Surefire strike bezels.

gstrand

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, it works with the "stock" P60L that I have in my G2 body. But somehow, I feel it should work on the light and dropin combination I bought it for. Am I expecting too much? I've sort of resigned that it won't work, but...

gstrand

Newly Enlightened
I actually did cut the large spring - I have a single coil and then 2/3-3/4 of the spring left... it works with either, but then does not screw down completely - it leaves roughly 1/8"...

PinarelloOnly

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, it works with the "stock" P60L that I have in my G2 body. But somehow, I feel it should work on the light and dropin combination I bought it for. Am I expecting too much? I've sort of resigned that it won't work, but...

I have held back from buying any more drop-in's seeing that the SF P61L
should be around the corner. All these aftermarket head issues will be
resolved.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had the same problem with a C-head to E-body adapter
all I did was to put a O-ring between the drop-in and the head
so it pushes the drop-in down so that it can get a good contact

gstrand

Newly Enlightened
I have held back from buying any more drop-in's seeing that the SF P61L
should be around the corner. All these aftermarket head issues will be
resolved.

Yeah, I get that, I just wonder... the cost of the new SF P61L vs. all of the dropins - I mean a 250 lumen rated five mode dropin for less than the P60L you can get now... insanity... but I do hear you - compatibility is good.

gstrand

Newly Enlightened
Had the same problem with a C-head to E-body adapter
all I did was to put a O-ring between the drop-in and the head
so it pushes the drop-in down so that it can get a good contact

hmmm sounds simple.... I like simple... any issues with heat?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i dunno about you, but this is what happened for me.

Mine didnt work either, but i suspected it was because the Drop in was not making proper contact with the body. Try pressing down the Drop in all they way with the head off, and the switch on. It should light up.

Do this..

Unscre the Golden part of the drop in abit, this makes the whole thing "longer"

I think this problem comes around because the Lens on the LH head is thinner then the SF one, so it doesnt push the drop in down enough.

This is what im doing with my R2 i my C3

Crenshaw

gstrand

Newly Enlightened
i dunno about you, but this is what happened for me.

Mine didnt work either, but i suspected it was because the Drop in was not making proper contact with the body. Try pressing down the Drop in all they way with the head off, and the switch on. It should light up.

Do this..

Unscre the Golden part of the drop in abit, this makes the whole thing "longer"

I think this problem comes around because the Lens on the LH head is thinner then the SF one, so it doesnt push the drop in down enough.

This is what im doing with my R2 i my C3

Crenshaw

It does work without the head. Interesting idea, I'm going to try it. Does unscrewing the LED from the reflector a couple mm make a noticeable diff in your beam?

matt0

Enlightened
Unscrewing the pill from the reflector makes a VERY noticable difference in the beam for me. I have a DereeLight 1SM Q5 dropin with a smooth reflector. If I unscrew the pill and reflector, it makes it very floody, with the smooth reflector, it also creates a LOT of rings in the beam. If I use the orange peel reflector, it smooths out the rings some.

I use it on a 6P with a G&P Strike bezel. The bezel came with a metal ring but no instructions on what to do with it. After playing around with it, I ended up putting it between the dropin and the lens. That way, it pushes the drop in down and makes contact. The same idea tx101 said about the o-ring... just, a metal version

gstrand

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all for helping with this!

When you guys add the shims, does your head screw down flush to the body or do you have a gap?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does work without the head. Interesting idea, I'm going to try it. Does unscrewing the LED from the reflector a couple mm make a noticeable diff in your beam?

nope..:) Just a tiny bit unscrewd, the LED doesnt even look out of place..

Crenshaw

gstrand

Newly Enlightened
...went home at lunch, one unscrew turn of the pill in the reflector, and, VIOLA! no noticeable beam change, and it works on the 6p body! Thanks, guys! Also to note, the two were screwed together all the way down, REALLY tight on my R2 drop-in.

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
...went home at lunch, one unscrew turn of the pill in the reflector, and, VIOLA! no noticeable beam change, and it works on the 6p body! Thanks, guys! Also to note, the two were screwed together all the way down, REALLY tight on my R2 drop-in.

Glad it worked, enjoy your new light...:)

try it as a thrower, its throws suprisingly well..i know i was shocked...

great thing about this drop in, it accepts up to 18v! its true too, i ran it on 4xRCR123A without problems..

Crenshaw