Anheuser Busch sale

o0o

Enlightened
In a way, I'm disapointed that the biggest US brewer is now going to be foreign owned.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20080714/NEWS/807140391/1033/NEWS&title=American_icon_sold

But, on the other hand, Bud tastes like beer flavored water anyway, so its no great loss to serious beer fans, right?

I don't drink Bud, unless its either the only thing available or given to me.

Maybe this will be a boost to the US Micro brewers?

If I'm going to drink beer or ale (I prefer wine), I'm going with either a top quality Micro brew, or Sam Adams.

I guess this means Sam Adams will be the largest remaining wholly owned US brewery?

Last edited:

jerry i h

Enlightened
It makes my heart heavy. It makes being an American that much less to be proud of. Bud was a perfectly good American-style lager, public image not withstanding. :toilet:

LaserFreak

Enlightened
I used to not like Bud at all. Simply the thought of chugging one made me want to hurl. But then my tastes changed, and it's the only beer I buy now (unless I'm broke, then it's Keystone).

It'll be interesting to see if it gets even better tasting or worse.

o0o

Enlightened
I tend to like full flavored brews, whether they be lagers or heavy stouts.

If I'm going to have a lager, I'll choose either Sam Adams or Anchor steam.

Bud (or Coors or Miller) have never done anything for me, as to me they are watered down atrocities (IMO). With this said, I am sad to see the last US macro brew going to foreign hands. It may cost US jobs? :(

YMMV

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
It may cost US jobs? :(

YMMV

Don`t know for sure...but in this case it might not...not jobs...but maybe wealth...assuming Bush is profitable. Perhaps money/profits that might have been spent by the top folks... in America...might now be spent by the top folks...in the Belgian economy.

The dollar has lost so much value...everything is cheap to outsiders...on sale at this point...at least thats how I understand it. The Chrysler building was sold a few days ago too.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe they previously said that there would be no brewery closures and that the non-brewing related items (Busch Gardens, Seaworld, etc) would be sold off.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I can say is that the deal was great for my stock portfolio :D I don't like any of their beers so it's not a great loss to me, other than Bud is somewhat of an american icon to some. I prefer beer from some of the smaller micro brews over the watered down taste of bud/bud light.

Last edited:

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
But, on the other hand, Bud tastes like beer flavored water anyway, so its no great loss to serious beer fans, right?

Reminds of a joke about canoes and american beer - both are close to water.

I don't drink Bud, unless its either the only thing available or given to me.
Drinking water is good for you.

While it's easy to focus on the bottom...er "top" of the line Budweiser beers let's not forget they aren't a one trick pony. They distribute a number of foreign beers like Bass and Beck's. The Michelob specialty beers like the Amber Bock and Porter were decent at a reasonable price. They also had some kind of business agreement, that included distribution, with Redhook. Redhook is the maker of what for a time was my beer of choice, Redhook ESB, along with a number of other well crafted beers.

Here's to hoping that this brings distribution of more brands of Belgian beer made by their new owners. Better access to European markets and an established distribution system there, could actually be a good thing for breweries operating here too.
:drunk:

n4zov

Newly Enlightened
It almost makes me wish I were a beer drinker so that I could boycott the new owner's product! Our Country is being sold out from under us inch by inch.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Budweiser never really lived up to the market-hype IMHO. But then again mass marketed beers never really do. I've always preferred Japanese pilsners when I'm in the mood for something besides my usual Samuel Smith stout, Watneys Red Barrel Ale or Anchor Steam. I just hope it does not cost american workers their jobs. I would gladly drink Bud if it meant supporting American jobs;)

Thats interesting news about the Busch-Gardens theme parks though. Wonder who will buy them out?... Ceder Fair perhaps?

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are going to blame anyone (and I don't see the reason to), do not blame ImBev for buying. Blame AB for selling.

Ninjaz7

Enlightened
If you are going to blame anyone (and I don't see the reason to), do not blame ImBev for buying. Blame AB for selling.

A friend who works for AB said it was sold 3 weeks ago for certain...nothing is sacred in business...we've become a dog eat dog society and that will be our own demiese.So when are the swiss starting a black hole or killing mother earth,August?

Aluminous

Enlightened
Wasn't Budweiser (and Anheiser-Busch for that matter) originally European?

Nope, looks like it was started in the US (by immigrants from Europe)... Here's what I found:

The name [Budweiser] derives from the Bohemian city Budweis (Budweiser meaning "from Budweis" in the German language), which was part of the German HRE until 1806, then Austrian Empire until 1919, when it was named České Budějovice as part of Czechoslovakia (since 1993, then Czech Republic). The long tradition of brewing beer in Budweis started in 1265. In 1795, the German citizens founded a brewery named Budweiser Bier Bürgerbräu. In 1895, Czech brewers followed, founding the brewery called Budějovický Budvar.

In 1876, an Italian immigrant started to brew and sell a brand of beer he called "Budweiser Beer" in the United States. During the ensuing Budweiser trademark dispute, the original Bohemian breweries have been able to protect their rights in most of the several court cases that have been brought. Because of the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT) Convention, geographic names like Budweiser are protected and, therefore, in many countries, Anheuser-Busch has to market its beer under various other trademarks, such as "Anheuser-Busch Bud", while the now Czech breweries have to use alternative names when selling to the U.S.

Anheuser-Busch began as a small brewery located in St. Louis, Missouri. In 1860, Eberhard Anheuser, a German-born prosperous soap manufacturer, became owner of the struggling brewery. Adolphus Busch, Anheuser's son-in-law, became partner in 1869, and became president when Anheuser died in 1880.

Adolphus Busch was the first U.S. brewer to use pasteurization to keep beer fresh, the first to use artificial refrigeration and refrigerated railroad cars and the first to bottle beer extensively. In 1876, Busch introduced America's first national beer brand: Budweiser.

Last edited:

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
Budweiser never really lived up to the market-hype IMHO. But then again mass marketed beers never really do. I've always preferred Japanese pilsners when I'm in the mood for something besides my usual Samuel Smith stout, Watneys Red Barrel Ale or Anchor Steam. I just hope it does not cost american workers their jobs. I would gladly drink Bud if it meant supporting American jobs;)

I lived in St. Louis for 8 years, and that was when the microbrews started getting popular. I did drink some of the Michelob versions, and did the A-B brewery tour a couple of times (pretty cool place).

Nowadays, it's rare for me to drink A-B products, but I do still support a St. Louis area brewery. Two, actually. One is O'Fallon beer, in nearby O'Fallon Missouri. They make some wonderful beers.. one favorite is their Cherry Chocolate Stout. There's also the Schlafly brewery in St. Louis. I live 3 hours away, and the local liquor shop carries these brands (and a ton of others), so I do what I can to support the local guys.

Steve K.