Do you have a magicJack / is it gimick - or Good ?

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have a MagicJack / is it gimick - or Good ?( 1 Yr UPDATE )

:tinfoil: .. I did a search of this Cafe' Forum - no hits - so I'm asking .

Been seeing a lot of 30 min. Infomertials about the *MagicJack* broadband phone jack. I've thought about getting one (cost is not excessive).... but I'm always skeptical about infomertial products ... expecting a rip-off !

I did a Google search on it - read conflicting good and bad reports. Mostly area code availability issues and potential return/refund issues.

We have a community of trustworthy / opinionated / analitical / consumers who should be able to shed some light on this product like they do flashlights.

So ..... as a community ... lets share some info on the *magicJack* and decide if we should ALL get one ... or give it *thumbs-down*. Who can tell us if there are drawbacks and pittfalls to watch for.

Are you / or were you .... as leary of this as I am ? As they say ... it just sounds "to good to be true". So lets *beat it to death* :dedhorse: and find out the truth.

Who's got one ?

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Sorry, I don't have one but it seems to be legit and reviewers seem to like it. In the case of area code issues, it appears they were able to resolve them.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
My neighbor uses one and swears by it. He is an honest guy, no need for me not to believe him.

Last edited:

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I don't have one but it seems to be legit and reviewers seem to like it. In the case of area code issues, it appears they were able to resolve them.

Patriot ,

What reviewers are these that you speak of ?

Are they paid ...... are they on infomertials ?

Where can we research to really find out the truth ?

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know too much about this except it's the same old VOIP deal with a little different twist. You still have to pay a yearly fee after the first year and it's quality is dependent on the Internet - calls will likely sound more like a cell phone in a remote spot at times. 911 won't be able to find you from your call. You still need high speed Internet. I guess if you make a lot of long distance calls and don't need high quality it might be good.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
VOIP was Hot a couple years ago.

I bought a headset and was using VOIP until they started limiting the call duration to 4 min. - at that point I gave up & stoped using it.

That's why I'm supprised they say unlimited calling on these magicJack things.

What has changed

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I have one...here's the good & the bad:

GOOD

1: So far anyway, has decent call quality.
2: Works with virtually all landline telephones - both corded and cordless.
3: Has caller ID built in.
4: The price is right: less than $20 a year.

==============================================================================================================================
BAD

1: If your computer has many tasks running (I count 18 right here, right now), response could be very slow: takes quite a few seconds before a dial tone becomes available; similar delay when answering calls. This can result in missed calls. Therefore, it is best suited for use on a computer with a minimum of other applications operating simultaneously (applications visible in the taskbar, not background applications).
2: Voice mail cannot yet be disabled; though they are looking into this for future implementation.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered one and it was a brick out of the box, and I rarely fall for infomercial items. The customer service is via on line chat only and in my case useless at best.

YMMV

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
:tinfoil: .. I'm wondering if it won't just go away and stop working .....

After they've collected all our $40 over the next few months.

They might be on a beach in Australlia , mate.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
:sigh:.. The Cafe' is not getting much viewer activity any more. Only 11 at a peak time.

Or maybe there are not many in circulation.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did some research into this a long time ago, and found the reviews very mixed. It wasn't worth it for me to take the risk so I passed.

It's fairly cheap if you want to try it, but I didn't think it was worth even the little bit of money it cost.

SilentK

Enlightened
i use it and it is just fine. it is not as fast as normal phone and you may need to keep your pc on for extended periods of time, but i find it to be great. it may slow your pc down a bit, and not perform as well if you are like me and have so much junk running in and on your computer and do so much that you need a 700watt power supply and 6 120mm fans to keep it running, but hey, the overclocked dual core keeps it running quite well. :nana: i give it a 8.5 out of 10

Zephyr

Enlightened
If I buy this and use it in the U.S. and call, let's say the Philippines, will I get charged for international phone calls?

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Infomercial just said free local and long dist. calls in the U.S.A. and Canada.

I think they said if you call to other countries - the party you are calling has to have a magicJack too.

If they have the Jack - they can call the U.S.A.

I think thats what was said.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Do you have a magicJack / is it gimick - or Good ? ( 1 Yr UPDATE )

Follow-up ..... 1yr-3mo's later .... for anyone interested in these.

I couldn't get overall approval of these , mixed reviews , but I tried one anyway .

Over a year of use , and I'm still satisfied with it .
Works as advertised 95% of the time , considering the monthly price of a common landline phone , I'd say it's well worth it's much lower price . They are still around well after a year and didn't take our money and run to the beaches of Australia .

If you dropped your local phone service carrier , and now rely on just your cell phone , (as many have done) , this MagicJack makes a good "back-up" line of communication . Much cheaper than Long distance calls on most cell phones (when they're not on your network) , or to Mom & Dad's home phone .

If you ever considered a MagicJack , and are still wondering about it .... from my experience with it I can now recommend it .

I occasionally get a slight echo - but all-in-all , it works pretty darn well . It also has many great extra features too . I'd say try it , and NO , I'm not associated with them in any way .

Just thought some of you might want some follow-up info .
TMG

Last edited: