Nitecore EX10 lubrication question

Status
Not open for further replies.

meuge

Enlightened
Hi

I have had my Nitecore EX10 for about two weeks now. I really like the concept, the UI, and the light itself. If not for one problem, it would have become my favorite light.

However, the switch action is unbearably stiff. I tried to reduce the amount of lubricant... and it helps... maybe for 10 switch cycles. I also tried switching from the blue grease that comes with the light, to silicone lube... but still the button is VERY hard to press, and then it takes so long to return, that it is virtually impossible to double-click or click-push within the required 0.3 seconds the first couple of times I use the button after several hours off.

Is there a lubricant that I can use that would make this light usable, without compromising waterproofing? or is this a problem that cannot be resolved.

Thanks in advance

P.S. Please provide links, if available, to any lubricants that work well to loosen the switch.

m16a

Enlightened
Re: Question: Nitecore EX10 lubrication problem, need help

First of all, make sure every atom of that blue lube is gone from the threads, the piston, and the inside of the light. It gums it up sooooooooo much. Once its COMPLETELY gone, lube the threads and the piston o-ring with some Deoxit and the light should start working better. If that does not work, you might want to contact your seller(I'm guessing 4sevens.com/fenix-store)

Good luck,

M16a

HKJ

Flashaholic

I might be the oring that is the culprit, try removing it and see if the light works better.

Also, remember to remove the grease from both tube and piston, before applying some thinner oil.

4EN[sic]

Newly Enlightened

I had the same issue with mine. Even decided to return my EX10. It was unbearable for me. It was very stiff to push in, and would barely come back out. I think they need to use a smaller oring and not use that glue they try to pass off as grease. Great idea though. Trying D10.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

I cleaned mine up and used Deoxit on the contacts and a little Nyogel on the o-ring. Works fine for me.

gunga

Flashaholic

I used teflon superlube (oil) on the o-ring. Now it works like a charm. I initially used teflon superlube grease (my standard) but that was a bit gummy.

I believe a good silicone or teflon lube oil (try to make sure it's rubber/silicon safe) would work on the o-ring.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast

I lubed mine with petroleum jelly (vaseline), in spite of many warnings about some O-rings being attacked by the stuff. Nightcore rings seem compatible, and my NDI has been slathered in the stuff since late last year with no ill effects. Took the light from a pain to use to a pure pleasure. Seems to hold up well over time as well. YMMV.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Check one of our best reviewers threads on this light - selfbuilt - he pointed out using Radio Shack's PTFE needle tip pen oiler. That's what I used and have used on every light I bought in the last 6 months. I found this jewel of info originally from this_is_nascar - another old timer here. Using this lube made a BIG difference in how easily it presses. And do thoroughly clean off all that blue stuff as mentioned here.

chakrawal

Enlightened

I just found out the easiest way to solve this problem. Just replace the o-ring with the red o-ring which included in the box and you will be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.