Anyone know about new Surefire Scout? AR15 light recommendation?

go_to_the_light

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a light to mount on an AR15. I have been looking at the Surefire Scout, but hadn't bought becasue I wanted more lumens than was available. So I started looking at Pentagon lights and others. I saw on the Surefire site yesterday the following -

"We are creating the next evolution in the Scout Light - the M600C, which will be coming out this summer. It will be brighter, tougher, and will run longer than ever before"

Anyone know what the new scout light will be based on and any of the specs?>

Anyone have any recommendations for a good AR15 tactical light? I want a rail mount with a tape style switch and want at least 120 lumens.

thanks.

GPB

Enlightened
I think Surefire's R&D department are too far ahead of their production capabilities, and their marketing department hasn't checked with any of them.....

We're all still waiting for the Optimus, Invictus, P61L, ( and maybe some are even waiting for the aluminum titan) which are in the 2008 catalogue.

Illum

Flashaholic
I think Surefire's R&D department are too far ahead of their production capabilities, and their marketing department hasn't checked with any of them.....

We're all still waiting for the Optimus, Invictus, P61L, ( and maybe some are even waiting for the aluminum titan) which are in the 2008 catalogue.

keep in mind though, there is always a possibility that the optimus and invictus may not actually be produced regardless of what the catalog depicts, prototypes, or preliminary press reviews.

recall that the 2002 catalog showed the C2D, M2D along with the A2 as digitally regulated incandescents, to this day no one on the forum including Size15s have never seen them going into production. I can't speak for PK of course:grin2:

GPB

Enlightened
perhaps you're right. I haven't really been aware of Surefire or high end lights for that matter for all that long. However, as a general consumer, I think Surefire would alienate a large portion of their customer base by making promises and then not delivering on them. At least the auto companies label their experiments as prototypes and the automotive press goes on to make assumptions about what will actually be produced or not. In this case, SF seems to have said that these lights are coming and in fact are overdue since the year is over half gone already. I think they have already created a bit of a public relations problem with these lights, but if the lights come out soon, people will be forgiving enough. However, if these lights never materialize it will be a real problem for Surefire. Don't forget that their competitive position is weakening. Companies like Fennix are making lights that are approaching the capability of Surefires, Mainstream lights from Energizer, Dorcy, etc are making HUGE strides in improving their products. Surefire's last stronghold is the loyalty of their fans. I am sure they know enough to realize that they can't afford to jepoardize that. What was their last headline making light ? Probably the E1B or the Titan. ( I honestly don't know but I am sure someone will correct me here ) While both are great lights and built to the highest standards......80 lumens isn't such a big deal anymore. They have to be very careful not to lose touch with their customers.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Streamlight TLR-1 with a Seoul P4 will easily do 120 lumens. I have one and it is twice as bright as the stock Luxeon III. The TLR-1 is designed for rail mounting and you can get tape switches with different mounting options. I use a tape switch that mounts to the Velcro on the 11 o'clock on the handguard below:

DSC_1187cropped.jpg

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Scoutlight is great!

I'm pretty sure the M600C uses the same E2DL bezel but is 1 stage instead of 2.

It is a very nice system that can be added onto.

Heres a few of mine.

1. Defender Bezel with E-C adaptor and Malkoff M60
2. SF 3" Turbohead with LED Tower Module
3. E2DL Bezel

025-1.jpg

Illum

Flashaholic
good point, but you are correct about surefire puting out too many products at once, aside from Optimus, Invictus, P61L lets not forget the Aluminum titan and the ARC series:rolleyes:

this is trailing this thread off topic. If you want to discuss it I'd be happy to open another thread for it:huh: I just need a good title :grin2:

GPB

Enlightened
sorry about the topic drift. If we started a thread about Surefire's market position, it would denegrate into a surefire vs fennix thing, get ugly, and serve no purpose. thanks though.

E__WOK

Newly Enlightened
recall that the 2002 catalog showed the C2D, M2D along with the A2 as digitally regulated incandescents, to this day no one on the forum including Size15s have never seen them going into production. I can't speak for PK of course:grin2:
none of those lights were orderable or had pricing unlike the optimus.

Nathan

Enlightened
The wait is over. The M600C is now available on SF.com.
It's basically the M600A with a non-crenulated, single-stage E2DL head. Oh, and there's an option for Desert Sand Brown finish.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The wait is over. The M600C is now available on SF.com.
It's basically the M600A with a non-crenulated, single-stage E2DL head. Oh, and there's an option for Desert Sand Brown finish.
The bezel used by the M600C is the KX2C (which is sold individually)