Two Days in Jerusalem. (many pics)

dim

Enlightened
I recently had the good fortune to to spend two weeks in Israel to see my youngest nephew bar-mitzvahed in the Temple at Masada.

The family and friends who went captured thousands of images, each more rivetting than the next.

We spent five days in and around Jerusalem. More than the typical images of The Wall, The Dome, The Church, etc., these are "slice of life" images taken by me in the order that they were taken over a two day period. Can you imagine what one would see in a lifetime there? Israel is a very deep place.

These images have been cropped, resized, and processed for best viewing on CPF.

I'll let the images speak for themselves.

kbk.jpg

apt.jpg

yeshiva.jpg

kioskc.jpg

boygirl.jpg

shule.jpg

goodshabbos.jpg

kids.jpg

hookah.jpg

flashlights.jpg

hookahbar.jpg

smokinb.jpg

procession.jpg

faithful.jpg

faithfulzoom.jpg

pitaboy.jpg

pitaboy2.jpg

monk.jpg

airtime.jpg

minyan.jpg

dim

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
mazal tov to your nephew. and i have to say that i am absolutely jealous. since forever i have wanted to visit Israel and plan on it sometime in the future. I feel like i am missing out a part of my heritage that i can only find there. Most of my family has been then except my younger siblings and cousins.

where did you travel there from?

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mazal tov for your nephew! :)

My sister's been to Israel, but I haven't yet. One day, I'm sure.

dim

Enlightened
El Al, as you may know, does not fly from/to that many cities.
Non-stop from Miami to Tel-Aviv took 12 hours. Returning took 14 hours.
Far better than 40 years in the desert, yet, we still complain....

Thanks for the congrats.

dim

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
that would be an amazing flight. i love flying! lol glad you enjoyed the trip though. just an amazing place as far as i know... :thumbsup:

m16a

Enlightened
Mazel Tov to your nephew! I know he was glad to have you there! My Bar Mitzvah is an event I'll never forget and I'm sure it was the same for him. I too hope to visit Israel in the future. Its a beautiful country and its part of my heritage:thumbsup:

katsyonak

Enlightened
what are they smoking ? :laughing:
It is called Hookah but is better known as Nargila in Israel and the area.

Very nice pictures, dim :thumbsup:
I live in Israel and am always intrigued on how it looks like in the eyes of people who didn't grow up here.
I'm really glad you enjoyed your trip here and a big Mazal Tov to you nephew :)

Oh, and BTW, although I visited in most of the interesting places in Israel, Masada is one of the only places I never visited. It's a beautiful place, I really should go visit there.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope to visit one day. My Jewish friends tell me it is the most fun place to be in the world, but I gather that it is only because they have not yet been to Taipei, Tokyo, or Seoul :) .

Tubor

Enlightened
Great pictures, what a variety of experiences and lives all in one place. Is that the arab sector where they are smoking hookah? BTW don't the children look cute! :)

Last edited:

dim

Enlightened
qip said:
what are they smoking ?

Faith.

Unless you're referring to the guys with the hookas....
From what has been explained to me, it's some kind of "fruit thing".
That's all I know of it.

Tubor said:
Great pictures, what a variety of experiences and lives all in one place. Is that the arab sector where they are smoking hookah?

That was at the "Arab Market" in Jerusalem.

Tubor said:
BTW don't the children look cute!

As adults, we're kind of funny looking...but Jews do know how to make some good looking babies!

I hope to visit one day. My Jewish friends tell me it is the most fun place to be in the world, but I gather that it is only because they have not yet been to Taipei, Tokyo, or Seoul :) .

With Tel-Aviv, Haifa and beaches with Mediterranean sunsets to the west, mountains, Jerusalem, Masada and more to the east, Tiberias, the Keneret/Sea of Galilee and skiing to the north and, both, desert and tropical resorts in Eilat to the south, don't just think of New Jersey sized Israel as a place to go with sights to see.

With it's 1500 year old churches, 1300 year old mosques, 3000 year old Temple Mount, don't just think of Israel as a rich, historic land with religious antiquities.

While walking in Jerusalem's "Old City" where David and Jesus walked, on the same street tile too, don't just think of Israel as historic and symbolic for the people of the world's great faiths.

Of course, Israel has plenty to see and experience, to wonder and feel and much to easily humble one's self. But more than its sights, its structures, its religious history is its people. With bigger smiles, a warmer touch, and a more intense and vigilant gaze, its people are electric! It's palpable. For those receptive to it, for those with wide eyes and an open heart, one can feel and experience the current that flows from person to person.

Mozel tovs were universal though out Israel as mention was made of my nephew's bar mitzvah, but at The Wall, when word spread, a spontaneous hora broke out!

She smiled politely when I replied "It's a great country" when the Israeli woman asked me what I though of Israel. But when I continued, "Oh, but the PEOPLE..!", with that knowing look, her face lit up as her smile broadened to the limit...She knew exactly what I was talking about.

bar-mitzvah.jpg

dim