Fenix TK10..some questions

lonerwolfey

Newly Enlightened
hey guys i'm new here and new to flashlight collecting!..:wave:..i just bought a Fenix TK10 a day ago and i would like to know if the output is really 225 lumens? It's not that the light doesn't throw well...but when i compared it with my friend's Gladius..(apparently it was only 80 lumens he claims)...they both seemed somewhat on par...with my Fenix TK10 being abit floody for my liking...:shakehead...is it because of the reflectors? i was just wondering if anyone could recommend me a good,affordable LED Cree flashlight that can throw well using 2CR123As?

Last edited:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the TK10 is 225 lumens on high mode. It's also 60 lumens on low mode- sure you've got it on high mode?

A test you can do is a ceiling bounce- point the lights at the ceiling, turn one on with the other off, then swap and see how easily you can look around the room with each light on. This gives an idea of overall output, rather than throw.

lonerwolfey

Newly Enlightened
hmm..yep i'm quite sure i got my TK10 on high mode...we both tested our lights on a white-walled building around 50m away from us at night...and if i remember correctly his Gladius outhrew my TK10..:shrug:

Marduke

Flashaholic
hmm..yep i'm quite sure i got my TK10 on high mode...we both tested our lights on a white-walled building around 50m away from us at night...and if i remember correctly his Gladius outhrew my TK10..:shrug:

The Gladius is meant for only throw. Try a ceiling bounce test and see who wins. Also, there is the distinct possibility he has one of the "upgraded" models, which boasts a more modern LED.

The TK10 should win on shear output, but it was never meant to be a real "thrower"

watchcollector1968

Newly Enlightened
The TK10 is really bright and no doubt a true 225 lumen lights. However, my E2DL at 120 lumens simple blows the TK10 away in throw and perceived brightness at any distance. Just different designs is all.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Does he have an upgraded Galdius?

The stock Gladius has around 4000 lux at 1 meter but the Tk10 has around 7000 lux. So he almost has to have an upgraded Gladius.

The reflector of the TK10 means that the light that doesn't hit the reflector will not be focused and it will become spill which will light up the surroundings closer you.

The TK10 around 200 lumen out the front but higher lumens don't mean more throw.

:welcome:

lonerwolfey

Newly Enlightened
thanks alot guys..=D..so it has something to do with the reflector after all...i still like the TK10 alot though..oh and btw the Gladius was not upgraded...thanks alot for all the help guys!! Looking forward to adding more lights to my collection..:D

lonerwolfey

Newly Enlightened
yeah i'm considering buying a Dereelight DBS V2 now...but there are so many pills to choose from..!!.furthermore i read reviews that it doesn't have very good output regulation and runtime using CR123s..(my preferred source of power)...:mecry:....from where i live it's really really rare to get 18650s..so now i'm trying to buy some protected 18650s + WF-139 charger from AW at the marketplace.

Sorry for this newbie question...but are the protected 18650s rechargeable and can they fit into the Dereelight DBS V2? And i'm also unsure of the range of voltages that can be used on the charger...:thinking:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah i'm considering buying a Dereelight DBS V2 now...but there are so many pills to choose from..!!.furthermore i read reviews that it doesn't have very good output regulation and runtime using CR123s..(my preferred source of power)...:mecry:....from where i live it's really really rare to get 18650s..so now i'm trying to buy some protected 18650s + WF-139 charger from AW at the marketplace.

Sorry for this newbie question...but are the protected 18650s rechargeable and can they fit into the Dereelight DBS V2? And i'm also unsure of the range of voltages that can be used on the charger...:thinking:

no no, youve got it wrong.

the DBS woudl be fine on 2 x CR123As if you bought the pill for 2xCR123A.
Most people here use the single 18650 pill because it pushes 1.2a to the LED vs the 1A of the other pill.

If you want a simpler, cheaper choice, buy the Tiablo A9, just as much Throw on CR123As... half the price (almost) at Kaidomain and Dealextreme.

But if you want to be serious about throwers, the flexability of the DBS would be good.

Crenshaw

Confederate

Enlightened
I like lights that throw, but I also appreciate a light that floods. Years ago I was caught in some mountains in California, along a hiking trail. We were looking for a place to camp and the wind was howling. Although I had brought extra provisions for the cold, two of the other guys with us had not. We finally found some rocks to hide in and built a fire.

The darkness along that trail was memorable, however. We'd expected to have our camp up in daylight and no one brought a flashlight. Not that it would have done us much good. Back in those days batteries lasted for about twelve minutes before beginning to dim and the el cheapo stainless steel flashlights could barely throw from the flashlight head to the ground. Fortunately, we ended up being just fine, but I've often thought of how things would have been with today's flashlights. If we'd had them back then, it would have been so much easier.

Throwers and flooders each have their place. I have a very nice thrower I got from DX. Don't know who makes it, but it says "CREE P4 LED, 240 lumens." I don't know why anyone would need to throw further than this thing, but for thirty bucks it's quite a well made light. After using this awhile, going back to my Inova T4 was like using a "low" setting on my Fenix P3D! Still, on that trail, a flood would have been nice.

Latest posts