P60 Drop-in FLOOD LED

jgang

Newly Enlightened
I've just about gone cross-eyed reading all the posts regarding P60 dropins for the 2x123 lights and, while better educated, still haven't found what I'm looking for.

Plan is to mount 2 "Cabelas Specials" (6P clone) 2x123 lights on my bike for night excursions into the hills. I need an LED drop-in with decent throw, but with a wider beam pattern so I don't ride off a cliff. I'll be using Duracell Ultra CR123 cells almost exclusively.

Any ideas? The Q5 looks great as does the R2, but they have more of a spotlight beam than I think I need.

Any ideas/recommendations?

ExZeRoEx

Enlightened
All I can say is that the Malkoff flood modules are very popular, the M60F.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy a Malkoff M60 for throw and an M60F (flood) for flood. With both of those you should be riding confident. Its gonna be pricey but it will get the job done right.

Triple A

Newly Enlightened
Buy a Malkoff M60 for throw and an M60F (flood) for flood. With both of those you should be riding confident. Its gonna be pricey but it will get the job done right.

This sounds like the best of both worlds! To keep cost down, is there a diffuser one could use over the regular Malkoff drop in? I'm in the same boat, but don't have money for both. Thanks for the help!

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
SureFire makes a flip-down diffuser for their lights which take the Malkoff dropins. The clone should work as well with little or no modifications.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I've just about gone cross-eyed reading all the posts regarding P60 dropins for the 2x123 lights and, while better educated, still haven't found what I'm looking for.

Plan is to mount 2 "Cabelas Specials" (6P clone) 2x123 lights on my bike for night excursions into the hills. I need an LED drop-in with decent throw, but with a wider beam pattern so I don't ride off a cliff. I'll be using Duracell Ultra CR123 cells almost exclusively.

Any ideas? The Q5 looks great as does the R2, but they have more of a spotlight beam than I think I need.

Any ideas/recommendations?

The emitter used doesn't really play a part in the beam pattern, the reflector/optic decides that.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I'm using Press'n Seal on the windows of several of my lights. Bounce with lightmeter shows about a 10% loss in output.

Bill

1dash1

Enlightened
TripleA:

I have the XPG with a DX Q5 single mode drop-in. I love it with the Surefire FM34 diffuser. I get the best of both worlds, medium throw with the lens locked out of the way, or buttery-soft flood with the diffuser lens in place.

Cabelas XPG with FM 34 photos.

Oddly enough, I don't particular care for the FM34 matchup with the R2 5 mode. Maybe it's because the 5 mode is inconvenient to use (rotating through all the modes because that's the way it works). And maybe it is because the R2 5 mode isn't very bright.

However, I think the reason is that the big distinction between the full blast 100% light and the perfect flood gets watered down by intermediate steps, i.e., I am no longer comparing black with white, but shades of grade.

So, while I heartily heartily recommend that you consider the FM34 for your XPG single mode, I would tone down my recommendations if you plan on getting a multi-mode.

generic808

Enlightened
I'd have to agree with everyone else on the M60F. I was a bit skeptical as to just how floody it was until I received my unit a few weeks ago. It has trumped all my other P60 drop-in's. I'm going to order at least 2 more when they become available :thumbsup: