surefire registry, way to keep track of what you got

Illum

Flashaholic
I recall back in high school we're told to write down the serial number of big bills like $20s or $50 for proof of ownership should someone steal it. I suddenly felt at a loss that if someone was to steal a surefire off my desk, how could I show proof that it was mine?

I've kept all the surefire and bezel serials on one paper, Maglites and others on another.

Does anyone else have an idea on how you could keep track of the lights they own without cosmetically damaging it? Some surefire bodies are way too tight on tolerances to permit sticking a label on the body's inner tube:ohgeez:

ConfederateScott

Enlightened
I put a thin stripe of reflective tape around the bezel and/or body of my lights. Kind of a "pinstripe". The kind I use is the same kind that is used on police cars and it comes in all colors. It lets me know my light on sight and if I drop one I can find it easier at night. Once it has been on the light for a few weeks and has "cured" it won't peel off in one piece. It is a tedious job to get it off and usually comes off one teensy piece at a time using a fingernail. I once spent two hours getting a 1/4" wide stripe off an E1E head. It doesn't harm the HA finish at all. There might be a little residue from the adhesive but some fingernail polish remover will get it right off. I have some black on some black finish lights and you'd never know it was there until it reflects light. It's not foolproof or permanent but it's an option.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get a UV pen and write your ID on it. Your writing can only be seen with a blacklight.

I put thermal labels on my lights with my contact info on it.

Illum

Flashaholic
good idea ConfederateScott, I'll definitely look into something like that, but I fear heat from the operation of the flashlight might leave a very very sticky mess

LED-holic, Perhaps I have been to vague in disclosing my intention as far as "cosmetics" go, say if the light may have the possibility of being sold some years in the future....your name on it by permanent ink seems... :thinking:
I'll think about that one, I do have lights that I absolutely will not sell:thumbsup:

thought to share...
Surefire
A2-HA-WH 4 side square, long clip: A31798 , Crenelated, THC3
A2-HA-WH 4 side square, long clip: A13059, flat bezel, even tint
A2-HA-WH 3 side round, long clip: A67643, crenelated, mismatch stock
TW4: E1e body A199983 + KL4-HA A21668
L4-BK: E2D body A53868 + KL4-BK A72728
"E2L": L4 body two side short clip A97605 + KX2 single stage A12659
M6 Magnumlight A004110
"E1eD": E1e-BK body A60989 + E2D head/tail
L4: body A264857, KL4 head A23454

Maglite
Jade Mag 3D: Mag85, D3032933836
Black Mag 3D: Mag64, D3012839206
Black Mag 2D: ROP, D2030858468
Black Mag 6D: stock, D6001761075

Its getting there, now I just have to flush out lights from their hiding places

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
As far as proof of ownership goes, could you take pictures of the side with the serial number. Now sure how many you have. I guess that could get pretty involved.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
only works if surefire prints its serial numbers the same size as the name of the flashlights:nana:

I certainly can't argue with that! I've managed to "thin the herd" down to about 26 SureFires now. I now wonder if I could get the s/n in on a group photo. Maybe if I place them all on a slightly concave surface? Problem is, if I do a group photo, I've got to drag out the Striders and Berettas too. Then it becomes a 3 hour production :eek:oo: :ironic:

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know...write your name backwards with a sharpie on the lens and then when you go white wall hunting, you'll see your name projected onto the wall! :crackup:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
to the majority of people,a flashlight is hardly something of high value to steal...

the Rest are CPFers who will instantly wonder if some poor CPFer has lost thier light. Especially if its not in its stock form....:tinfoil:

Crenshaw

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
to the majority of people,a flashlight is hardly something of high value to steal...

That's actually the saddest part. I think I'd rather have someone steal my light and truly appreciate it...than have them think it's junk once the battery dies out and he can't afford CR123's from Radio Shack and then just toss the light. haha.

Someone broke into my car last year and stole a U2 and a Mr. Bulk Lion Heart (along with my GPS and other things). I'm sure they just grabbed whatever they could and now there are a couple awesome lights in a landfill somewhere.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's actually the saddest part. I think I'd rather have someone steal my light and truly appreciate it...than have them think it's junk once the battery dies out and he can't afford CR123's from Radio Shack and then just toss the light. haha.

Someone broke into my car last year and stole a U2 and a Mr. Bulk Lion Heart (along with my GPS and other things). I'm sure they just grabbed whatever they could and now there are a couple awesome lights in a landfill somewhere.

TOtally agree with that, i think we CPFers are unique in that we think, as long as youve stolen my light, at LEAST use it and value it like its supposed to be valued.

Crenshaw

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I just memorize every Surefire light I own.... Then again, I own just under 10 of them. :(

Illum

Flashaholic

tell that to those guys that sacked a few CPF member's cars:shakehead

:sigh: I've lost a Inova XO-R with a hand chosen tint, only that was in the office and I don't think the person who borrowed it had the intention of stealing.

I just memorize every Surefire light I own.... Then again, I own just under 10 of them. :(

10 is a good number...I'm hoping to hold my collection to 10, cuz thats the maximum number of lights I can EDC simultaneously and still walk straight.
ideal number of surefires to own = x
1<x<24 [why 24? read sig]

Last edited: