Good light for security/EMT

James Hamon

Newly Enlightened
Hi I will be attending EMT training starting late august and while doing that I will be doing event staff/security for large venue 500 to 10000 people attending usually around 5000-7500.So I'm looking for two good lights one smaller 4-6.5 inches incan or led preferable output 100-200 lumens price preferably less than $100 using 2 123 batteries with a throw of 100 yards or moreand runtime of 1+ hours.Thinking a surefire 6p with a malkoff m60 or a streamlight Strion or scorpion led or incan or the tl3-xenon.Also a larger light M@gcharger size or so with an out put of 180-400 lumens either incan or led under $200 dollars with a throw of at least 120 yards prefer around 200 yards or more with runtime of at least 1 hour.I'm thinking a M@gcharger or M@glite with Malkoff dropin or possibly a sreamlight rechargeable light like a sl-35x or ultra stinger.

Last edited:

Mad1

Enlightened
I personally Would use a Fenix P2D and a Surefire M3T

James Hamon

Newly Enlightened
I don't prefer a fenix do to personal preference/experience there great but not what i want the suretire m3t maybe but the price does not meet my prefered range.Thanks anyway.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I was going to suggest the TK11 for your first choice.

Maybe a Dereelight or Tiablo?

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'm guessing you need good ability to see at 100+ yards. How big of a beam do you need at that distance? Most of the LED throwers have a pretty narrow beam at that distance.

For the smaller light, how much is multimode going to be a factor? Would the light be better if it had an easy to use lower mode or even medium? If yes, how low?

Something like the 6P with Malkoff, Fenix TK10/TK11, or Dereelight CL1H might be good. They are all pretty similar performance wise. The main differences are the modes, accepted batteries, upgradeability, and clip.

Last edited:

James Hamon

Newly Enlightened
the ability to light up 3 to 4 people at 100+ yards the Malkoff m60 would be nice for my "small" light hand size.But yeah I usually work in a big open area that can pack in people up to 20000 people is the biggest venue usually around 10000 or less so i work in areas a good 400-600 yards across i dont need that much thro thow because im responsible for a smaller area usually 200 yards is my main area I share with other people.I would consider the Fenix tk11 But not some of there other lights Ive had issue's with my l2d q5 before.I dont really care for alot of modes if any it would be two max.A low of 30-60 and a high of 180-250.But I prefer one mode 100-250 for general use.Right now I carry a maglite solitaire in pocket a T.O.P. stryker lx6ak2 for general use and either a magled 2d or Pelican 7060 which i love.

Mdinana

Enlightened
I'm guessing you're working for Event Medical Services? If so, PM me and we can talk more about specific requirements, based on my experiences with them.

James Hamon

Newly Enlightened
MOst guys I know or have seen doing security at large venues use cheap blue or red not sure of the brand looked like everready or rayovac.Old lights that put out 10 lumens max and that somewhat works for them.The more experienced ones tend to use magchargers or what looked like surefire 6p or something similar to that.No matter where I go I'm usually the flashlight guy who is obsessive because he has two lights on him.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Would you be interested in making your own Hotwire or LED mod for a Maglite?

At 100 yards the 6P sized lights with good LED drop-ins should light up 4 people standing together pretty easily, as in you should be able to see all for of the.

Maybe you can bring a few drop-ins with you and sell them to people who have P60 accepting lights and would like to have a good LED drop-in.

For the Maglite, check this thread.

How about the Fenix E01 or similar AAA light to replace the Solitaire?

Desertrat

Newly Enlightened
Why not something like a SF G2Z LED that comes with a lanyard you can wear around your neck? Plenty of power and good run times.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
CL1H w/ 1S SMO will put down the M60 at 100 yards. No contest, even with the OP reflector.

Last edited:

rala

Newly Enlightened
with a crowd that large, i would stick with the smaller lights so as to not hinder my movement. i dont kno what venue you were referring to, but when working concerts and sporting events you have to be ready for the drunk and disorderly and the guys just looking for a fight. me personally, i would carry a third light too. i'd opt for a 6p w/led drop-in, a g2 w/p60, and for primary use, i'd use an led light that uses a single 18650 for rechargeability (i like using the ultrafire c2 for this). these lights are all in the lower price range.

Triple A

Newly Enlightened
+1 6p with Malkoff. I have the regular 6p led and its spot is tight and gives good throw. My understanding from posts here, is that the Malkoff is accurately rated as being 3x brighter! (235lm, I think.)

This light is a good size to wear around the neck, as well.

Good Luck!

James Hamon

Newly Enlightened
Malkoff does 240 lumen. But definitely a 6p with malkoff or tiablo a9 not sure probably malkoff.For alot of throw and power (also take on camping and hiking trips)still thinking a M@g85,ROP,or M@G with Malkoff Dropin.For a small aaa light i'm thinking a fenix or just staying with solitaire unless you guys have suggestions.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Dereelight CL1H with a Smooth reflector or one of their P60 modules with a smooth reflector can probably throw further then the Malkoff. The beam won't be as pretty and the side spill won't be as wide though.

For the larger light, since you have a 2D, a ROP should work. If you want a smaller size, you can get a 2C and use 2 C Li-ion batteries for the ROP. It would give you more output and a wider hotspot then the Tiable A9(but it will also be larger and runtime won't be as long).