Photon Freedom?

Zvi

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

Ritter's report from shot show 2003 mentioned 4 x AAA cell light with a 2 watt Luxeon Hi-Flux LED which supposedely will be 95% efficient....
Does anybody have a picture? 4AAA in a single row will be one long narrow tube. Anyways, I tried to search here and on the net, found nothing. May be here someone knows more?

P.S. Oh, and pardon my ignorance, but what is 2 watt luxeon hiflux LED? How does it compare with 1 and 5 W luxeon star leds? Judging by watts the answer seems to be obvious, except that Hi-Flux thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Is it at least brighter than two 1W luxeons combined?

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps it's a 5 Watt, driven at 2 Watts. I haven't heard of a 2 Watt luxeon yet.

Zvi

Newly Enlightened
Well, my understanding is it's some Luxeon 2W... Which is gonna be different apparently.
interesting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif What a misterious flashlight...

Bandgap

Enlightened
My information is that Lumileds is looking at making 2W and 3W leds based on 1mm die similar to those in 1W devices, but mounted in something similar to the 5W housing - which has better thermal characteristics.

shrap

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Zvi said:
Does anybody have a picture? 4AAA in a single row will be one long narrow tube. Anyways, I tried to search here and on the net, found nothing. May be here someone knows more?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seeing as Photon does not make long metal tubes ala Mag or Streamlight, I doubt that this new light will be in a long 4AAA form factor.

I do not know what the new light looks like, but you can make your own guesses from their earlier work: Photon's, X-lights, and the Fusion, all of which are not metal and do not have metal tube tube form factors. Photon uses plastics.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
For everyone who doesn't want to search the page for this info, "We were also able to handle a prototype of Photon's new "Freedom," a 4 x AAA cell light with a 2 watt Luxeon Hi-Flux LED. Allen claims this custom microprocessor controlled light will be 95% efficient for longer battery life compared to others on the market. It will be waterproof with an anodized aluminum body. He is aiming for fourth quarter delivery."

So it will be aluminum, at least that is the plan at this time, but it doesn't say if it will be a long tube or some sort of side by side design. I say at this time because they are shooting for a 4th quarter release so who knows how much the design may change or when/if it may actually appear.

Hope this helps,
Pat

shrap

Enlightened
My mistake. I was just guessing.

Well if Photon is reading this, I won't buy a 4AAA light if it's long and narrow. At least make it a Princeton Tec Rage - like form factor. Even better would be a squashed square - type form, as small as possible.