Travel Light

mskerritt7

Newly Enlightened
I've been thinking about this for a while (not to mention have gone through a few lights in the process), and have yet to come to a conclusion. So, why not ask the experts. I'm trying to decide on a good, all-around travel light. Here's my line of thinking...

-Fairly inexpensive- I don't want to shed tears if it's lost/stolen. This pretty much rules out surefires
-Common, cheap battery- I like to head to out of the way places (for example my next trip is to Honduras and El Salvador), and don't want to have to bring along cr123s. I'm thinking AA is the way to go.
-Different brightness levels- low and high for sure. Strobe would nice for defense if needed.
-Good runtimes.
-Small, light, and rugged

What comes to mind? :shrug: Thanks.

lightsandknives

Enlightened
I'm thinking Fenix L1D Q5 fits the bill pretty well.

I would have said NiteCore D10 if it wasn't for the strobe request.

Good luck with your choice.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore NDI,AA with strobe,very bright,alk,nihm,lion batteries can be used.
D10 is good choice,

Jetbeam has AA that also fits the bill.

All have variable brightness to maximize runtimes.

Marduke

Flashaholic
What is "too expensive"?

I would still take a 4 pack of L91's along, and only use the local stuff if you have to.

1xAA that comes to mind:
L1D, L1T, NiteCore Defender Infinity, Proton Pro, D10. What about a ZebraLight H50 if you are going to places with limited power? Moving around in the evening would be much easier with a small headlamp as such.

I would also think of a 1xAAA light to carry when maybe 1xAA is too big, or just simply as backup. AAA's are the 2nd most common cell to find anywhere after all.

E01, LOD, etc.

Basically though whatever you pick needs to have a pretty low setting so it doesn't crap out entirely when you feed it cheap carbon zinc cells.

russwm

Newly Enlightened
I would get an L2D with an extra L1D body, so you have the option of using either one or 2 batteries.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recommend L1T/L2T v2.0 instead of L1D because it's cheaper, simplier and has longer runtime.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only one light? the Zlight H50.

Or the L1/2T if you want a traditional light. But the low may be too bright.

Some will disagree, but strobe for defense is a non-starter.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would my EDC L0PSE and Photons count towards that one light? If so, I would take that the L0PSE, if not I would add a Streamlight Stylus Pro for a brighter addition.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
What type of AA battery will you be using? If you will be using alkaline batteries, I would suggest you go with a Fenix L1D or L2D vs. an L1T/L2T. The L1D/L2D will give good regulation on alkalines in three modes (low, med, high), and the L1T/L2T will only regulate well on alky in one mode (low). Even if you think you may need to use alkalines in a survival situation, the LxD is a better choice.

If you're using Lithium E2 or NiMH, the choice is yours. However, you mention that strobe might be a function you'd want, so I would still suggest the LxD over the LxT.

Last edited:

sabre7

Enlightened
The strobe feature isn't for self defense and can't be relied on to ward off or stun an attacker. If you have time to find the feature on your flashlight and use it, you have time to use much more effective self defense measures.

If around $50 is in your price range, the Nitecore D10 has all the other features you are looking for.

Last edited:

pipspeak

Enlightened
I bought the L2D and L1D tube for traveling and have decided it's not the best set up for me, for two main reasons: overly-complicated UI and the low is not low enough.

The UI on the L2D is just too much... all I've ever needed is a low and high, not a low, medium, high, very high, signal and strobe (the strobe is somewhat pointless to me). Secondly, the low is not low enough - way too bright for reading or even for stumbling around a dark house, tent or hotel room. Moreover, there's that bright flash when switching the flashlight straight to low... very annoying.

The Nightcore D10 looks like it has a decent low and strong high. Runtime is a little feeble on high, however.

My ideal travel flashlight would combine the two... forward clickie to select a "low" low, click again for general purpose medium/high then twist the head to select maximum high. With the head twisted for "high" you could then use the forward clickie for momentary on. Does such a light exist?

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
My ideal travel flashlight would combine the two... forward clickie to select a "low" low, click again for general purpose medium/high then twist the head to select maximum high. With the head twisted for "high" you could then use the forward clickie for momentary on. Does such a light exist?

Almost, the NiteCore Defender Infinity

One user selectable, and Max. Strobe is hidden, and user defined is any level you want.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
What's your price range?

If you want under $30 with multimode and AA powered, look at lights light this, this, or this.

If under $70 is fine, then the lights mentions by the other posters are all good choices, I'd add the Olights and the newer Kingpowers look pretty interesting too.

The 6% off coupon at Shiningbeam is "CPFuser" and 5% off at Batteryjunction is "cpf2006".

mskerritt7

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. After looking them over and checking the 1XAA roundup by selfbuilt, I went with the NDI.

My first Nitecore, but I like the more agressive knurling than the lack thereof on Fenix lights. And without a clip, I think this is important.

Should be coming soon, we'll see how it goes.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Absolutely the new Nitecore ND10. Someone just ran it though the washer and dryer without a problem.

It's small enough to have in the pocket.

AA batteries are everywhere in the world.

It's super bright on max and runs for 45 hours on lowest setting which IS enough for simple stuff or when it's really dark and would make a great emergency light and at the price $59, very much worth it.

One more thing, a SIMPLE interface which means you don't have to worry about forgetting HOW to adjust the light. Some of these things are a pain to adjust in my opinion :(

Oh yeah, able to stand up to use as a candle.

George

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I say this a lot but I recommend you also bring a long running back up like a Fenix E01. 1 AAA, long runtime, 9 lumens. Its size and weight are almost negligible, and the amount of light it puts out is very useful. It would certainly be bright enough to get you out of any unexpected light emergencies such as your primary light get lost, damaged or stolen. Put a lithium in it, throw it on your keys and forget about it and it will always be there.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
You get the D10 and you get as low as you want, your choice and it IS small.

HeadCSO

Enlightened
Only one light? the Zlight H50.

Or the L1/2T if you want a traditional light. But the low may be too bright.

Some will disagree, but strobe for defense is a non-starter.

Strobe is over rated for self defence. Consider Surefire lights. They are made primarily for military and law enforcement. If strobe was good, it would feature on their lights.

All the AA lights mentioned here are good and would suit your needs. Depending upon where you are travelling to, you may want to keep a couple of lithium AA's to hand for emergencies and cold weather operation.