Streamlite Keymate

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got one in the mail today with my new Spyderco Tenacious (IMPRESSIVE, btw, but thats another story) and the first thing I noticed, besides the appearently high build quality is how incredibly bright the led is. They must be overdriving the hell out of this little 5mm (and/or using some premium leds). Has anybody experienced premature failures or anything else that would explain why that little 5mm is so bright?

foxtrot29

Enlightened
I got one of those. Clipped on to my BP vest for writing in my notebook in the dark. I agree, it is quite bright for a 5mm led, but not as bright as the E01... well, I actually haven't put them side by side, but I don't remember it being as bright.

Still, it sees a lot of use, and it's been there for over a year, no problems yet, no change of batteries.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems to me like its brighter than my E1 was...before I lost it. At least on fresh cells.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I commented quite awhile back that this was a very under rated sleeper. There were some posts on upgrading the LED (one was using the MJLED).

The downside are the cells, but you can buy them in moderate quantity online very cheaply.

It really is a good choice for a key chain light that is used very infrequently or sparingly. Very solid construction and very good output for a 5mm LED. It has a larger head than most small 5mm LED lights with a larger reflector that seems to work quite well.

As to brightness comparison, it depends on what LED is in it - I have no idea what they're using in the current offering. I believe that I have an MJLED in one of mine and a Nicha CS in another.

All in all, it's an excellent value at $10 backed by a lifetime warranty from an established manufacturer.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had one on my keychain for 2 years,I read here and did the upgrade to a SMJLED,much brighter prob 2x more than stock,with intermittent use the batteries run forever,also there is a 6 v mini garage door opener batter/car alarm thet is supposed to work as well ,I have not treid that.
Do take out the batteries and check for leakage and corrosion.I had 1 battery starting to leak.So check them and put a little deox and progold on them while your changing them.:twothumbs

Very under rated light

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, i bought like 5 or 6 of the little suckers just in case. Great little light and bright as hell :)

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I bought on of these for my girlfriend. She likes my bright flashlights but thinks a simple 6P is too big. I might have to get an E1b for her or something similar in a 1cell 123 light.

I too like the Keymate but I dont like the twist on and off feature. I would have prefered a plastic rod clicky on/off at the back.

David.s

Newly Enlightened
I have one of these as well, great wee light.

But i prefer the Streamlight Nano, its much smaller. and as bright as i personally need for the small tasks i use it for.