Stobe flashlights banned in Australia?

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Preparing for a trip to Australia, I found this in the New South Wales prohibited weapons list:

"(24) Any acoustic or light-emitting anti-personnel device that is designed to cause permanent or temporary incapacity or to otherwise disorientate persons".

I'm really amazed. It appears one can't even have a small SWAK in his pocket unless he can demonstrate an immediate need for it - maybe like an apple in the other pocket.

Last edited:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow that's even worse than u.k, are you allowed to have any hard object with you even? Maybe everyone will have to wear foam gloves so they can't punch anyone. :eek:

jchoo

Enlightened
Simple solution to that - it's not a tactical strobe, it is an attention getting strobe for emergency purposes.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's the link.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/wpa1998231/sch1.html

and proof of intent rests with the individual - not the government. In other words, you're guilty until and unless you prove otherwise. Wow.

Edit - I need to make it clear that I'm not denigrating Australia, any Australian States and Aussies in general. They're your laws - that's your business. When I visit there, I will comply with them.

Last edited:

harddrive

Enlightened
Bigiron

Gun/knife/weapons laws are very strict in Australia. But Lights with strobe (such as fenix) are sold, carried and used without any problems. Take my word for it you will have no problems there.

My understanding is the devices they are talking about in that description are "Flash-bangs" (as used by SWAT etc during building raids).

There are quite a few Australian laws that Americans would find hard to take I imagine. eg. No CCW (not even off duty Police), not allowed to have firearms for self-defense or defense of your home, Police can pull over any car at any time without any particular reason etc.

I think after you visit though you will realize it is a pretty relaxed place and not as oppressive as it may first seem.

Last edited:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the Aussies I've been around have been great, generous, careing, fun folks. Greatly looking forward to the trip. Kind of a lifelong dream.

GLOCK18

Enlightened
I guess my glock18 under the seat is a no go in Australia.!
Bigiron

Gun/knife/weapons laws are very strict in Australia. But Lights with strobe (such as fenix) are sold, carried and used without any problems. Take my word for it you will have no problems there.

My understanding is the devices they are talking about in that description are "Flash-bangs" (as used by SWAT etc during building raids).

There are quite a few Australian laws that Americans would find hard to take I imagine. eg. No CCW (not even off duty Police), not allowed to have firearms for self-defense or defense of your home, Police can pull over any car at any time without any particular reason etc.

I think after you visit though you will realize it is a pretty relaxed place and not as oppressive as it may first seem.

ICUDoc

Enlightened
Australia is being slowly turned into a different country. Soon, everything that is not obligatory will be illegal. The Nanny State is completely out of control, and lawmakers are divorced from the majority of the public. Kneejerk reaction in lawmaking spoils sensible people's fun. All my opinion but a shared one I think. Nonetheless most strobing torches would be safe to carry here.

Glen C

Enlightened
G'day Big Iron, Hardrive is right on the money, you will have no problems and I really doubt you will have any encounters with police except a smile or to ask directions. I have read your posts and you will fit right in here. Just remember when someone calls you a yank it is a sign of acceptance or statement of your nationality, nothing more. Aussies predominantly like Americans, so you can proudly state where you are from, unlike some other parts of the world where I meet a lot of "Canadians" who feel it may be unsafe to discolse their real nationality.

Where are you travelling to? Australia is very urban but is an island the size of mainland USA with only 20 million people in it, so the outback is well worth a look. Big distances, big skys and big desolation. Even for a Texan you might find the size big. I think the biggest aussie cattle station is about 6 million acres (Anna Creek) bigger than Israel or Belgium, some of the conglomerates combined holdings are bigger than England.

Hope you have a great time and if you need any advice just ask.

Glen

PS No knives either. The good side of this is it is rare to be shot in a bar fight, mugging, etc but Icudoc is right, our govt wants to make us a bunch of wimps

PayBack

Enlightened
I need to make it clear that I'm not denigrating Australia, any Australian States and Aussies in general.

I do, but I'm from New Zealand and so am required to by law :D

Australia is being slowly turned into a different country. Soon, everything that is not obligatory will be illegal. The Nanny State is completely out of control, and lawmakers are divorced from the majority of the public. Kneejerk reaction in lawmaking spoils sensible people's fun. All my opinion but a shared one I think. Nonetheless most strobing torches would be safe to carry here.

Unfortunately that's true of New Zealand too. I feel it even more so being a gun owner. However many of the people and politions here are hypocrites. One person dies from a misused gun, they change the law banning this and that and restricting everything else. However hundreds die from misused alcohol, and they lower the drinking age, let corner stores sell it and let the pubs say open 24/7 :shakehead

Last edited:

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bigiron

Police can pull over any car at any time without any particular reason etc.

I live in the US and I have been pulled over while circling back home to get my cell phone, I asked the officer how I could help him and he said he thought I looked suspicious:eek::ohgeez::thinking:! Oh that's a great reason, "No turning around aloud here sunny:sigh: "

roguesw

Enlightened
I live in the US and I have been pulled over while circling back home to get my cell phone, I asked the officer how I could help him and he said he thought I looked suspicious:eek::ohgeez::thinking:! Oh that's a great reason, "No turning around aloud here sunny:sigh: "

Thats EXACTLY the way my friend got pulled over too here in New Zealand.
He had left his house, was just driving down the road not more than 1 minute, and got pulled over. The stink of it is, now all his neighbours think he is suspicious. And the reason the cop pulled him over was the exact same response,
"You looked suspicious"
what is this world coming to.

Metatron

Banned
Here's the link.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/wpa1998231/sch1.html

and proof of intent rests with the individual - not the government. In other words, you're guilty until and unless you prove otherwise. Wow.

Edit - I need to make it clear that I'm not denigrating Australia, any Australian States and Aussies in general. They're your laws - that's your business. When I visit there, I will comply with them.

welcome to the land of kangaroos and criminals, kangaroos and criminals:devil:

Aluminous

Enlightened
Australia is very urban but is an island the size of mainland USA with only 20 million people in it, so the outback is well worth a look. Big distances, big skys and big desolation. Even for a Texan you might find the size big. I think the biggest aussie cattle station is about 6 million acres (Anna Creek) bigger than Israel or Belgium, some of the conglomerates combined holdings are bigger than England.

Wow, I hadn't realized just how large Australia is. Here's an interesting page with size comparisons.
http://www.ga.gov.au/education/facts/dimensions/compare.htm

It appears that the US, Canada, and China are all about the same size, Australia is slightly smaller, and Russia is twice as large.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, if our trip comes together, we'll spend more air time getting around Aus than we will in getting there! Hopefully, we'll spend Christmas in Alice Springs.