Using the M60 as Multi-level light?

Beamshot

Newly Enlightened
Okay im going to get an M60 drop-in to use in a Surefire with a flip up beam diffusser. My question is I want to get get a 2 level tailcap but dont know what the lumen amounts would be with say a 15 ohm or a 30 ohm one. Is there a way to figure up what the output would be on these?

JJV

Newly Enlightened
Great question; I'll be getting my M60 tomorrow so I'll be curious to hear the answer.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It works fine with the Uniq continuously variable tailcap, see the other thread. What is this 2 position tailcap and what are the resistors actually doing, setting bias current control? Can some one post where to find these tailcaps?

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have beamshots somewhere here on CPF comparing 15, 30 and 60 ohm resistors w/ a Dereelight module w/ and w/o the FM34. IMHO, 60 was best indoors, 30 best outdoors.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if you're refering to the Sandwich Shoppe's 2 stage for Surefire C/M series tailcaps but that's what I've got in mine though I don't remember which resistor set I'm using, works well though.

-LT

Mercaptan

Enlightened
Not sure if you're refering to the Sandwich Shoppe's 2 stage for Surefire C/M series tailcaps but that's what I've got in mine though I don't remember which resistor set I'm using, works well though.

-LT

Sandwich Shoppe's two stagers are 'dumb' two stages, right? There isn't a memory mode, and it just alternates between high and low?

Beamshot

Newly Enlightened
I have been looking at the ones from The Sandwich Shoppe but am open to suggestions.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sandwich Shoppe's two stagers are 'dumb' two stages, right? There isn't a memory mode, and it just alternates between high and low?

Yep low/high only. I've been using them for years and they've done exactly what I've needed and been very reliable. I probably have 6 or more in various configurations including Aleph sized ones. It also doesn't hurt that it maintains the original tailcap shell so there's no visible difference in the light.

For most of my applications I have found that 2 stages is pretty much perfect. I have a number of multi level lights but I often find myself drifting back to simpler lights for daily carry.

-LT

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Mine has the Sandwiche Shoppe 2-stage, 60Ω resistor, and gives 15 lumens on low setting, about right for night walks when the full output is a killer.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Bunch of Noob questions... OP, if this is too far off topic just post here and I will delete this.;)

1- How do these resistor-switch caps work? Doesn't the DC-DC regulation circuit in the P60 module..."detect" the drop in voltage and electronically try to regulate it back up? So... aren't the resistor switch and DC-DC circuit "fighting" each other?

2- My understanding is that resistors convert current to heat, does the switch circuit get hot/warm?

3- Do these resistor switches work with all LED drop ins?

4- What are the benefits besides lower output?... does run-time extend, do emitter temperatures drop?

Thanks!!

Newly Enlightened
I think one of these for my Malkoff would be great. Does the lower output increase run time or is it just not putting out as much light but using the same amount of battery?

roymail

Enlightened
Why not contact Sandwiche Shoppe with these questions? And, then post this information. Kramer 5150 and 1203 are asking some good questions. :shrug:

Fird

Enlightened
A 2 stage tailcap would insert resistance in series with the module. On the M60 with its buck regulator, you'd force the module out of regulation and into direct drive at some low current determined by the resistor (which would be burning up power as heat yes). So, for a functional low yes it would work, but unregulated and not terribly efficient.