Whata? Ha? Radioactive marbels???????

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
What the hell?

First off, is this even legal?

Secondly, I thought tritium rings were "charged" enough. But uranium marbels?

Well, if I wanted to be senile and impotent, I might grab it and play with my balls.

On the other hand, I'd like to keep my balls.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

2dogs

Enlightened
If those are safe I NEED them. There is an Arc AAA UV in my drawer waiting for some use.
FC what were you looking for when you found these? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Don't you get enough hazmat time?

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
DAMMMN!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Check out all the other low radiation stuff he's got for sale. I bet he doesn't need flashlights as he must have a healthy green glow to light his path...
about me page
Wonder what his kids look like /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

-Jason

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a nuclear chemist (well, close, but not really), but I'd venture to guess being around these marbles 24/7 cannot be good for your health... Human tolerances can be quite high, but not that high for that long of an exposure. I had reservations about carrying tritium rings. But doped uranium balls are another story...

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
uranium glass is safe and more common than you think.
eimac uses it in many transmitting tubes.
like a 4-100a

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you serious?

The last time I got ahold of any type of uraniam related item (by mistake, albeit), I had 8 freakin officers and university police showed up on my doorstep ready to cuff me off to jail for "stealing" government property...

I wonder how much a geiger would register in front of some glow rings...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic
From this site:
[ QUOTE ]
Tritium Glow Lights

Tritium (heavy hydrogen with two neutrons) is radioactive, emitting beta particles with a low energy of 18 keV, and having a 12 year half life. besides being useful when building hydrogen bombs, it also has numerous other applications.

A variety of items are sold containing tritium and phosphors, which glow in the dark. Examples include compasses, wristwatches, and glow in the dark keychains, as well as emergency exit signs. The tritium betas excite the phosphors, causing them to glow with visible light. A few microns of plastic is sufficient to block the betas, so the items are quite safe. Unless you were to open one, I guess. Some of thse things have several curies of tritium in them. I don't know what the health effects would be of exposure. Probably not as bad as from the phosphors!

Update! They may not be quite so safe... I decided to place one on a pancake GM detector. The readings went from 55 CPM background to about 210 CM. I then removed the actual glass tube (with the tritium and phosphors) from the plastic holder, and the reading jumped to about 690 CPM. I suspect that the betas are hitting the glass, and creating x-rays, with a peak energy of 18 keV. The plastic absorbs most, but not all, of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still think they are safe though... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow... Must remember not to intentionally drop or mangle them...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
The marbles are completely safe and not regulated in any way by the NRC. Besides having a nice safe low level source to show off your geiger counter there isn't any reason to own them other than they are fun to put under a black light. I've actually thought about making a little lamp or display out of a few of them and a bunch of UV led's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As far as glow rings producing X-Rays, I'd have to say thats highly unlikely. It was my impression that you needed evergy in excess of 40kev to produce anything even remotely usable as an X-Ray, and that is when running it in a tube with the proper Cu or Mo target place to strike the electrons against. I'm not sure but I would be very sketical about the radiation from the tritium striking the glass envelope. I know that copper target produce X-Rays low in the 8kev range, but the input power has to be a bit higher to make them.

I need to read up, I don't remember enough, but my gut reaction is a distinct negative.

Wylie

Enlightened
I know uranium was used years ago in an effort to have an illuminated watch face for night viewing but they turned out to be a really bad thing after peoples wrists start to be effected. That glass made with low levels of uranium has a really cool green color to it btu I thought production was stopped many years ago as well.

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I could replace the marbels that I lost.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif