McR20-S in E2DL/E1B/L1....beam is AWESOME!

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was playing around with my E2DL and a McR20-S reflector this morning and I have to say it produces an EXCELLENT beam. Nice TIGHT hotspot with more intensity than the McR19XR reflector I tried before. Unfortunatly, the reflector is not long enough to focus properly when installed in the E2DL head and I imagine it would be the same for the E1B and KXx heads as well. The L1 appears to have a shorter head and optic than those lights though but I could be wrong. It looks like the McR20-S is about 3mm too short so I would have to rig something up to push the reflector back that distance. I held the reflector at the optimum position (basically resting on the Cree base) to get the right focus. VERY impressive. Sorry I can't get beamshots. Anyone have any ideas?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
An o-ring wouldn't be enough. Hmmm. I'm thinking.....I wish I had one of those collars/spacers from the inside of the KL1 heads. That might work....

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just tried it and its AWESOME!!!

Nice discovery!
I think I'll be trying this one later tonight when darkness comes.

I wish I had one of those KL1 spacers too.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any luck? I would love to find something to put the reflector at the right position. I'm looking around through all my spare junk and stuff trying to find something....

Just tried it and its AWESOME!!!

Nice discovery!
I think I'll be trying this one later tonight when darkness comes.

I wish I had one of those KL1 spacers too.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I temporarely used a ring from an X200 for the night. After some more use I found that I prefer the TIR optic instead. The Mcr20 still makes a nice beam but I can't justify the mod to keep it.
I ended up returning the light back to its original form. The TIR optic really does do a good (better) job with the Cree.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a McR19XR reflector in there for a night but the beam was really week compared to the McR20-S. Hmmmm.....

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
SF's latest optics seem to me to offer more throw, but it comes at the expense of less spill. It's a personal preference thing, and mine is for the McR20S. Fortunately, I have a lathe. :D

Larry

Triple A

Newly Enlightened
I'm interested, guys- the L1 is my favorite light, but I prefer a reflector setup. I'm keeping quiet only because I have nothing to offer as far a technical knowledge in this area. I'm very excited to see what you come up with. Based other other threads, there are lots of folks who would like to see more spill on the L1! Thanks for sharing your knowledge!