Whats the smallest PR based Metal Light?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
IM looking to do a mod, i need to know what the Smallest All metal PR based light is. Or perhaps there is a PR socket for minimags...yes, thats how small im looking for.

thanks

Crenshaw

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Which PR size?

I'm guessing the common PR2 size.

As for the smallest, there are some 2 AA lights that use PR based bulbs. I don't know the specific brand though.

Marduke

Flashaholic
If you use a tailcap switch, a MiniMag would be a very sleek PR light. Could just replace the lamp holder with a newer, wider lamp holder. Replace the lens with glass, stick two 14500's in there and run a PR6 bulb. No idea what you could use for a reflector except getting a custom milled one.

**Warning ,not responsible for 2nd degree burns caused by quick excessive heating**

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
oops, yes i guess i mean common PR2, well, what i wanna do is Create an absoultely tiny ROP, minimag tiny....A normal PR2 bulb almost fits in the Top opening of a minimag 2 AAA, meaning you remove the bi pin socket, and just put it there.

Crenshaw

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
most pr based 2AA lights I have seen are mediocre in build quality. I am guessing you want to either run a hotwire and li-ions or a drop in LED you already have. If it is a magLED dropin.... you need to see the bulb holder as some you can modify or ream out to fit it while others there is no extra material there for the larger diameter mag LED module. I put a 2 cell magLED in my old rayovac 2D roughneck focusing light and it is a great light now. I had to use a drill to ream out a bunch of plastic but it fit tightly in the end. I have another magLED module in power rangers 2AA colored plastic light. I had to ream out the reflector and the holder but the light was such I could do that and it has a nice beam for a small plastic forward clicky light.... rather stunningly bright now

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
oops, yes i guess i mean common PR2, well, what i wanna do is Create an absoultely tiny ROP, minimag tiny....A normal PR2 bulb almost fits in the Top opening of a minimag 2 AAA, meaning you remove the bi pin socket, and just put it there.

Crenshaw
didn't see this post before I replied... :whistle: looks like you need a light with a metal reflector and good bulb holder then to keep away the gooey plastic slag syndrome caused by hotwires..... :D

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have got the Auroralite kit, but its out of stock!

I would preferably have a mini mag, but any sort of 2 x AA/AAA sort of PR2 based light thats all metal would do. I mean, you would THINK someone would make it. Are those energizer "double barrel" lights from awhile ago all metal? maybe i have to hunt one down.

Crenshaw

Marduke

Flashaholic
Well, you can fairly easily test out a minimag. If you use a tailswitch, just wrap some aluminum foil around the side so it fits snuggly (don't short the bottom), and stick it in the hole for the lamp holder. Will have to test it without a reflector at first. Oh, and you'll have to sand off the anodizing to bare metal around the top end of the minimag.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an old plastic Panasonic 2AA incan PR2 that I made a 2x14500 ROP out of and it is a real sleeper since it is styled like a kid's light. I would like to fit a 1AA plastic Ever-ready I have with a 14500 & 3D cell PR2 for a small screamer but it takes tiny bi-pins. If I could find a 3.5-4V tiny bi-pin, that would be the ulitmate sleeper. Nobody would suspect it would be as bright as a 3D Mag.
Of course I have the option of using the new PR2 LED drop-ins too!

Crenshaw

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
A couple of years ago, Garrity was putting out an all metal "somewhat like a Mini-Mag but different" light. You'll recognize it by the finger grooves on one side of the rubber cover on the metal barrel. It also has a rear clicky and a slightly larger head. This light is now out of production but you can still find them around. They replaced it with a newer version but I have no knowledge of its internals.
This older light uses nothing like a PR2, but the works are held in place by a brass nut so it's easy to take out the original pieces. That leaves you with an easily adapted place for a PR bulb. Essentially I just stuck a PR based SMJLED in it with a small metal ring to make good contact when the head is tightened down. This simple mod however doesn't leave enough length for 2xAA batteries, so I'm using 2xAAA in it with an adapter sleeve and a tiny magnet between the two batteries.
If you wanted to get serious I'm sure you could use one of these as a basis for a much better mod than mine that I stuck together literally in minutes.
You would need to replace the plastic window and reflector, but the rest of the light is metal and the switch is pretty nice too. Check at Walgreens and other out of the way stores (as far as flashlights I mean), to find one of these. I'll see if I can find a picture. Wal-Mart used to sell them too but I'm not even sure they carry the replacement model anymore either.

Last edited:

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to be Quite frank, but what could you possible run a ROP bulb with that would fit in a 2xAAA or even 2xAA Minimag? 2x 14500 would produce the 7.4 volts required by the hi bulb but that bulb needs over 3.4 ah! When I posted here about running a ROP low bulb on standard cr123 lithiums some people didn't think they could provide the 2.5 ah needed, while others thought that they could only provide the same as the rechargeable one which can only give 1 ah. So how are you going to pull 3 times that power out of batteries half as big as "2x AW 10440 lithium "AAA size" And we are not even talking about volt sag under such conditions. So unless some one here knows differently, I puzzled. Next in the Auroralite hotwire mod Why isn't the Streamlight 2L bulb used instead of the TL-3. That bulb was built for 4.5 volts while the 2L bulb was built for 6 volts, You would still be overdriving the 2L bulb while having a much better overall bulb life. After all xenon bulbs don't seem to normally be happy being so drastically over driven? By the way were can you get glass lens for 2xAAA Minimags?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to be Quite frank, but what could you possible run a ROP bulb with that would fit in a 2xAAA or even 2xAA Minimag? 2x 14500 would produce the 7.4 volts required by the hi bulb but that bulb needs over 3.4 ah! When I posted here about running a ROP low bulb on standard cr123 lithiums some people didn't think they could provide the 2.5 ah needed, while others thought that they could only provide the same as the rechargeable one which can only give 1 ah. So how are you going to pull 3 times that power out of batteries half as big as "2x AW 10440 lithium "AAA size" And we are not even talking about volt sag under such conditions. So unless some one here knows differently, I puzzled. Next in the Auroralite hotwire mod Why isn't the Streamlight 2L bulb used instead of the TL-3. That bulb was built for 4.5 volts while the 2L bulb was built for 6 volts, You would still be overdriving the 2L bulb while having a much better overall bulb life. After all xenon bulbs don't seem to normally be happy being so drastically over driven? By the way were can you get glass lens for 2xAAA Minimags?

Hmmm, im not really sure, but i ran 2 x UF14500 with adaptors in a cheap eveready light with a ROP-HI bulb, seems to light up fine..:thinking:

I am currently running that light with 2 x 14500 and a Mag6D bulb, for fun...

Crenshaw

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crenshaw, those are unprotected cells? I couldn't get my ROP hi to light with 2 trustfire 18650 protected. I was under the impression that even with AW 18650 it wouldn't always light on the 1st click without a thermosister?

How about something with a Princeton Tec Torrent (surge) bi-pin bulb? I would love to see that in a 2Xcr123 light. I wonder how it would compare to a P60 module.....

american lockpicker

Enlightened
I would have got the Auroralite kit, but its out of stock!

I would preferably have a mini mag, but any sort of 2 x AA/AAA sort of PR2 based light thats all metal would do. I mean, you would THINK someone would make it. Are those energizer "double barrel" lights from awhile ago all metal? maybe i have to hunt one down.

Crenshaw

The energizer "Double Barrels" weren't all metal the bottom caps and the head af the flashlight were plastic. Also they used a bulb that is like the ones you see in mini and solitare maglights only widerand they had a white plastic spacer on the bottom. I used too have 2 of them a red anodized one and a grey one but they both broke so I threw them away.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys!

Okay, Garrity, not in the usual shops, ill have to look around...:thinking:

as for my 14500s, yes, unprotected. Does that mean that the bulb is drawing an unsafe amount of current?

american lock picker, thank you! good to know that i didnt miss out on a "good" light...lol

Crenshaw

Last edited: