Surefire bezel scratch protection

houtex

Enlightened
I have 3 small Surefires. E1b,KL1 ,and KX1. The new E1b came with some ano missing from the bezel. Now,with just the few times I've carried it more ano is missing. The KL1 and KX1 were sent to Milky and came back really pumped up. The thing is I'm almost afraid to use them. They will probably never be sold but if I ever had too, nicks in the bezel would decrease their price. I'd like to hear some ideas some of you may have to prevent damage to the bezel area. Please don't chime in with anything other than ideas to help with this little annoyance. I have plenty of lights with bumps and bruises that I use. I don't want to turn these lights into shelf queens either. I have some $$$ in these lights and would like to enjoy them and show them off with a little more confidence.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly , i think milkies are ment to be users.... no point having THAT many lumens stuck within the head and not using them :eek:

nicks in the bezel here and there wouldnt put me off a milky..:)

but since you want ideas, how about some not tooo strong epoxy or glue of some type? or even clear tape? scotch magic tape might work. It depends on what you specifically mean by bezel.

also, the milkytape shoudl protect it somewhat..

Crenshaw

Size15's

Flashaholic
I'd like to hear some ideas some of you may have to prevent damage to the bezel area.
How about an BeamFilter F04 (etc) with the filter window removed?

How are you carrying them? Perhaps a holster or pouch rather than inside a pocket?

Some cellphones are carried in a little velvet-lined pouch - perhaps something like that could work for you?

How about wearing the flashlight on a neck-lanyard?

houtex

Enlightened
I'v been out showing them off at work. I cringe every time I pass it to someone. Praying inside " God don't let them drop it".
I also like the contrasting look of Ti and SS bezels in many lights. I don't need spike type bezels but I'm not oppssed to them either.
My Noavtac 120T BK has hit the ground many times. A Sharpie and a Aleph bezel I had laying around and it looks like new.
I'm thinking of trying a men's ring/band. i'm sure it'll fit around just not sure if it'll be tall/wide enough.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Holster it... definitely. Hopefully you can position it in your bag bezel-up. Keep away from keys or other sharp EDC objects.

They make a rubber hexagonal filter holder for the minimag, you might be able to stretch that over the bezel.

Heres how I diffuse the light and protect the bezel-lens of my RC-N3...
dscn0385cz1.jpg

dscn0383zj3.jpg

houtex

Enlightened
Carrying I don't think is the problem. When I say problem I mean it's only a problem for me I think. When I do pocket carry I try to make sure that the flashlight,any light rides alone in that pocket. I don't like reaching in for 1 item and out spills 2 or more. Anyway,my wife suggested those automotive paint pens to repair any damage but I'm trying to think of prevention.

generic808

Enlightened
A piece of Scotch tape around the end? :shrug: The E series in black always had this problem of nicked ano so I see no reason in "trying" to keep it mint. I got a brand new E1L and E1B straight from the packaging with missing ano specks :( Keeping your light in mint condition just won't happen if your light is a user.

gunga

Flashaholic
I think the minimag bezel kit (filter holder) fits. Needs a bit of trimming, but it's less than $5 vs $12+ for a beamshaper.

Nice rubber hex bezel. That and you get a clip and extras to use on other lights.

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
well since its a flashlight, u can show off ur output, and not let them touch it, people dont give a crap about other people's stuff, so their not gonna care if they drop it, their gonan think its some 10 dollar flashlight

to protect it, on a daily i'd go with the F04 diffsuer with the front taken out.

i dont do this to protect my flashlights ( or cell phone )from scratches, i just use it as a " germ protector" , i throw my flashlight ( p3d ) and my cell phone in a zip lock bag ( in their own bag ) and its still functionable, and my cell phone and flashlight, both 5 months old, still looks brand new LOL.....but it'll look cheesey in ur case, maybe a velvet bag?

houtex

Enlightened
Like i said ,I have ALOT of user lights,these Milky ones are special and $$$. It's not like they are fragile ,just the top edges of the bezel are my concern. When I come up with something,and I will,I'll be sure to share.

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
yea, i know how u feel

for nice lights ( if i ever have enough money to buy them ) i would have to have two of them, one user, one shelf queen....but oh well lol i dont have enough money to buy two of every nice thing lol...

houtex

Enlightened
same here ninja.It took me awhile to save up for my Milky Mods. It's not that they are expensive it's that I'm poor :broke:

Sabrewolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just use some adhesive lined heatshrink. It can be stretched quite a bit for oddball sizes, and then shrunk back down again if needed. you can cut little donuts and put them on the "Roll" points of the light, and that will keep your lights looking new.