Dropin Advise Needed for Surefire 6PL

Status
Not open for further replies.

parawolfe

Newly Enlightened
I know this subject has been sort of discussed in other threads, but not definitively. At least not that I could find. I recently purchased a Surefire 6PL that I plan on using with just CR123A primaries. Is there a dropin that will boost the power/lumens using primaries or do you have to use 3.7v rechargeables and a particular dropin to achieve this? Like I mentioned above, I will not be using RCR123's just primaries. Any information and recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

GPB

Enlightened
I have a 6P clone with a BOG ( Bug Out Gear ) Super Premium Drop In

http://store.bugoutgearusa.com/crq5drmo.html

Its the only REALLY bright light I have so I can't really compare it to anything useful. It is much brighter than the G2L, and seems to throw really far. I've dropped the light a few times with no effects. I am happy with it.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Once your power source is above the forward voltage of the LED and any circuit drops (around 4v), any further increase will not really help you any. If you use CR123 primaries or RCR123 rechargables, either way the circuit is going to drop the voltage to about 3.7v. I think this stickied thread is what you are looking for.

parawolfe

Newly Enlightened
I have a 6P clone with a BOG ( Bug Out Gear ) Super Premium Drop In

http://store.bugoutgearusa.com/crq5drmo.html

Its the only REALLY bright light I have so I can't really compare it to anything useful. It is much brighter than the G2L, and seems to throw really far. I've dropped the light a few times with no effects. I am happy with it.

Wow, 230 lumens! Do you think it will get that much from primaries? Do you run primaries on your light? And.....is there any difference between the 6P and the 6PL when adding dropin's. I suppose I should have bought the 6P instead of the 6PL if I plan on adding a different dropin.

roymail

Enlightened
Wow, 230 lumens! Do you think it will get that much from primaries? Do you run primaries on your light? And.....is there any difference between the 6P and the 6PL when adding dropin's. I suppose I should have bought the 6P instead of the 6PL if I plan on adding a different dropin.

Oh, sure you can get max brightness (230 lumens for example) with the proper emitter, driver, optic or reflector. But, keep in mind it will drain current from your batteries much quicker. That's the trade off.

The 6P has a 60 lumen incandescent P60 drop in while the 6PL has the 80 lumen Surefire LED drop in. You should get an hour from the 6P incandescent bulb at 6v but the LED is more efficient giving longer runtime. Don't be misled by the advertised 12 hr. runtime. You'll get several hours at good output followed by decreasing output over time.

I'd advise you to keep the Surefire LED since it makes an excellent task light... plenty bright for many uses.

Another good drop in to start with is the DX 6090 which is popular among lots of CPF members including myself. Although I have recently acquired a Malkoff M60L, I do like the 6090 and for $10.00 it can't be beat. It will give you about 130 lumens for 1.5-2 hrs. runtime.

The M60L is about the same brightness but will run for 4.5-5 hrs on 6v primaries. The M60 is really bright and one of the best Q5 drop ins available today. There are lots of choices... just depends on your wants and needs.

Just remember the trade off... more output (brightness) usually means less runtime. So make your decision with that in mind. Actually that's kind of overly simplistic. :rolleyes:

pipspeak

Enlightened
I know Surefire lumens figures are conservative but how does the SF P60L compare in real-life with the Malkoff M60 and M60L, both in terms of brightness and runtime? I assume the SF is similar on both to the M60L.

Also, a quick question on the option of using a multi-mode Dereelight dropin (the 3SM) in a surefire 6P... how do the memory modes work with the momentary-on switch? I presume each press changes the mode, but will pressing and holding maintain one mode for the duration of the press? And then once you twist on, does the last mode used become the one the light switches on to? I'm a little confused :confused:

jbosman1013

Enlightened
The surefire P60L is close to the M60LL but the LL has better throw, tint, and runtime. The only LED surefire I have seen come close to the output of a malkoff M60 is the E2DL but it still won't have the side spill or tint of a malkoff. The multi-mode module will work just like you think, but if you go that route get a click-on surefire switch.

roymail

Enlightened
I know Surefire lumens figures are conservative but how does the SF P60L compare in real-life with the Malkoff M60 and M60L, both in terms of brightness and runtime? I assume the SF is similar on both to the M60L.:confused:

jbosman1013 is right... the SF P60L's 80 lumens is in the ballpark with the Malkoff M60LL but not near as nice a beam.

But, it can't hang with the M60L. It's my opinion that the M60L is the best compromise between output and runtime on the market today.

pipspeak

Enlightened
That's what I was thinking about the M60L... screaming bright is fine but I tend to use primaries and I'd eat them up with a 200+ lumens emitter.

Where does one get a genuine Surefire forward clickie for a 6P?

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M60 by quick math estimation (.8 x 240 emitter lumens) puts it at roughly 192+ torch(surefire) lumens. Gman put his M60F (diffused flood version of the M60) into an integrating sphere and got 200+, so the regular M60 probably does at least as good.

pipspeak

Enlightened
Thanks. It seems the Z49 is the one that fits the 6P... unless there's a mod for the Z58/59 (which look nicer) to work.

lightsandknives

Enlightened
That's what I was thinking about the M60L... screaming bright is fine but I tend to use primaries and I'd eat them up with a 200+ lumens emitter.

Where does one get a genuine Surefire forward clickie for a 6P?

The M60L is only 140 lumens and has a runtime of around 4 1/2 hours on two primaries!

pipspeak

Enlightened
Great... I prefer the cleaner look of the Z58/59 but got a little worried that they were not listed as compatible with the P-series lights.

parawolfe

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the information, everyone. It appears it's going to be either the Malkoff M60 or M60L. I don't think runtime is as important as output in this case. I have other lights that I can use if I want longer runtime. The decription on Malkoff's site for the M60 caught my attention. "The runtime is 1 1/2+ hours on 2 CR123 primary batteries. It will easily illuminate objects at 350+ feet and will blind opponents within a 100 foot radius." It sounds like it turns it into a light saber:) The Z59 Click-on tailcap also sounds like a nice upgrade. It seems that the Surefire 6P or 6PL are lights you can do a lot of modifications to. I sort of wish I had just gotten a 6P but then again, if I want to switch back to the Surefire LED dropin I would have that option.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everybody - all this talk (and new knowledge) of the 6P and Malkoffs has hooked me in!!

I'm just curious, if one wanted to make a 6PL with an M60L into a 2 stage light (for even better usability :naughty:), what would you all recommend for a low of >15 surefire lumens...? Is this possible?

Thanks!

michiganstud

Enlightened
Having been screwed on my last LED purchase....I am looking at the R2 dropin for my ultrafire light.

How does the R2 rate?

pipspeak

Enlightened
For lower output options you can modify the switch using a 60-ohm resistor switch from the Sandwich Shoppe, though I'm not sure if that'll get output as low as 15 Lumens. Or (my preference) get a multi-level drop-in like the Dereelight 3SM.

Now I have to decide whether to go with the Malkoff M60L and forgo multi-levels or get the Dereelight and have three modes. Anyone know of any beamshots from Dereelight P60 drop-ins?! It's hard to tell if the reflector is the same as the CL1H or not (which seems a decent enough thrower)

Come to think of it... can I get an already-modified clickie from the Sandwich Shoppe? Since I'd like a Z59 clickie anyway there must be an equivalent out there with a resistor switch in it already.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.