My First LED Flashlight

badkarmaiii

Newly Enlightened
My First LED Flashlight - Upgraded Again! See Post #6.

Hi,
Thanks to you guys and what I've learned here, I got my first LED light. I took my old, trusty Surefire 6Z and made some changes:
1. Body bored to take 18650
2. Wolf Eyes Q5 3.7-6 volt 4-mode drop-in
3. 6P Defender Strike Bezel
4. Surefire clicky
5. Tenergy protected 18650
6. finger ring

Here are a couple of pics:

Surefire6ZCustom001.jpg

Surefire6ZCustom002.jpg

I'm quite happy with this "new" light and look forward to many more. I think I might be becoming a flashaholic!

Thanks,
Lee

Last edited:

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
That SureFire looks very nice. Great job on the mod!!

Welcome to CPF!!! You're definitely a flashaholic. :)

badkarmaiii

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, guys.
I stumbled upon CPF looking for info about the Surefire P60L when I heard about it's introduction. I"ve been using Surefire lights for over 12 years and love them exept for battery and bulb cost and heat build-up during extended use. Many friends have teased me about my expensive choice of duty light. I've never regretted it. I had seen some of SF's LED lights but didn't want to go to a new, more expensive, duty light. News of the affordable P60L retrofit got me searching, which led me here. Now, as before, I don't pay much heed to cost when there's a good return. I began rounding up parts and above is the result.
I've already set up some other Surefire (polymer) lights with LEDs and protected Li ion rechargables and have ordered some Dereelight modules to build them the way I want. With my extra SF parts I want to build a non-tactical, Leef-bodied 18650 utility light when I can get a body. I appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Lee

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent first SF LED :thumbsup: . The WE module is rock-solid w/ excellent build quality. I gather you will favor the throw of the Dereelight modules :) .

badkarmaiii

Newly Enlightened
Holy necro-thread, Batman!

Today, my trusty, long-time EDC, SF 6Z got another couple of upgrades:

1. Nailbender XM-L Potted 2.8amp P60 Lo-Hi-Strobe Drop-In
2. AW IC 18650 2900mah

Wow! That Nailbender unit is bright!!! :devil:

Next, I want change the tailcap to a McClicky/Surefire unit. Already ordered the tailcap and just need to find an upgrade kit in-stock.
A stainless crenelated bezel and ultra-clear lens would be nice, too.
Since the first post, I've definitely become a flashaholic! I now have several modded Surefires, a Thrunite Scorpion V2 and my Precisionworks-modded Thrunite Neutron 1A-17500 should be here very soon.

Thanks,
Lee

Last edited:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
nice set up!, mine is similiar except its a C2. but i love the Z too.

check out oveready.com for bezels, lens and McClicky.
lighthound.com also stock McClicky and the same bezels.

those 6Z are classics!

djt

Newly Enlightened
Nice upgrades, if you dont mine me asking what was the cost for the upgrades, I have seen a use one for sale and would considering purchasing if the cost to upgrade is reasonable.

badkarmaiii

Newly Enlightened
Nice upgrades, if you dont mine me asking what was the cost for the upgrades, I have seen a use one for sale and would considering purchasing if the cost to upgrade is reasonable.

The 18650 boring cost $30 from a local machine shop. I got the AW IC 2900mah battery from lighthound.com. The Nailbender drop-in was $45 from Nailbender here on CPF. I wish that I had ordered extra copper tape from him to go with my other P60 drop-in units that don't just drop in and work. I can't remember what the other parts cost but I seem to recall that I had about $200 total tied up in this light before today's upgrades...

Thanks,
Lee

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nicely done. You're one of those members who doesn't talk much, but you know how to get stuff done. Quality is always a good investment and it never goes out of style.

You're proof that starting with a good and versatile host light leaves the door wide open for future upgrades when needed or desired.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 18650 boring cost $30 from a local machine shop. I got the AW IC 2900mah battery from lighthound.com. The Nailbender drop-in was $45 from Nailbender here on CPF. I wish that I had ordered extra copper tape from him to go with my other P60 drop-in units that don't just drop in and work. I can't remember what the other parts cost but I seem to recall that I had about $200 total tied up in this light before today's upgrades...

Thanks,
Lee

the copper taping doesnt really help with contact. its more for making the drop-in nice and snug in the host for better heat transfer.

if your drop-ins are having problems making contact, try modifying the spring (larger spring, not the positive contact spring). i usually cut my springs for my Nailbender drop-ins for surefire hosts.

badkarmaiii

Newly Enlightened
the copper taping doesnt really help with contact. its more for making the drop-in nice and snug in the host for better heat transfer.

if your drop-ins are having problems making contact, try modifying the spring (larger spring, not the positive contact spring). i usually cut my springs for my Nailbender drop-ins for surefire hosts.

You are absolutely correct. I wound copper tape around the cylindrical part of the drop in for thermal transfer.
Next, I took a narrow strip and finessed it around the tapered part of the pill. Voila! Now it has major contact with the body...

Thanks,
Lee