Review: Kingpower K2 update:runtime graph 29/07/08

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
*for submission into review forum*

UPDATED 29th July 08: RUNTIME GRAPH HIGH

SOME ADDED INFO:

I realise i forgot to add that its a reverse clicky, modes go
mid-low-hi-strobe. Reverse enables you to click on, and half press to the mode you want.

The new King Power K2 arrived via DHL, very fast! i wasnt expecting it so soon.

18-07-08_2252.jpg

18-07-08_2254.jpg

18-07-08_2255.jpg

18-07-08_2256.jpg

18-07-08_2235.jpg

Here are the Manufacturor Specs

K2 Special Features
Special bezel
1. Graceful crenelated head
2. Tough glass lens with AR coating
3. Special designed deep reflector-throw great beam; can shot 150 meters.

Stable and high efficient circuitry
1. Digitally controlled stable AA circuitry with constant brightness
2. Turmeric PCB- anti abrading and durable
3. Mid/low/high/strobe without SOS-easy to operate and practical

Outlook and Structure
1.Graceful streamline design
2.New designed skid-proof structure on body tube
3.Type III hard anodized finish in black-60 microns
4.Input voltage: 0.8v-4.2v; fit for many kinds of AA batteries

Some additional features of K2
. Aircraft aluminum housing
. Four output levels
. Able to stand on tail
. Waterproof

Power: 88 Lumens/6 Lumens/180 Lumens/Strobe
Burn time[FONT=&#23435]:[/FONT]5.5 hours/120 hours/2.2 hours
Lamp: one 3W Cree Q5 LED
Battery: 2 AA size batteries
Length[FONT=&#23435]:[/FONT]151mm
Diameter[FONT=&#23435]:[/FONT]25mm
Weight: 100g (except batteries)

My Observations
-The clicky in this light is very tactile, very positive feeling, although some my find it a little hard.

18-07-08_2228.jpg

- The body is extremely thick. 5mm at the head and 2mm at the Tail!
thats extremely thick. That makes this thing extremely rugged. The anodizing is smooth, nothing wrong with it as far as i can see.

18-07-08_2226.jpg

- This is a very important factor for me. The Tail and the Head threads come to a definite stop, Meaning, when you screw it on, these dont "go further" and the stop a definite place...

18-07-08_2250.jpg

18-07-08_2230.jpg

- Its bright! i dont have any other 2 x AA lights to compare it, but its at least as bright as my P1D- Q5!

- The Levels are pretty good too. First level is its 80lm one, which is plenty, second level is the Low, its lower then the Low on my ML1 which according to milky is in the vicinity of 5-10 lm.

-The Beam on the Light is the only real place that might have problems. Its got that dreaded Cree ring, and thats due to the Smooth reflector more then anything.It honestly doesnt bother me, and if youre used to the cree ring, its really nothing to worry about it.

- The tint is Pretty Neutral. YMMV

Just general Picture

18-07-08_2248.jpg

18-07-08_2247.jpg

Beatmshots
Taken with the K2 running on Powerex Imedion 2100mah NiMh

K2 left, Tk10 right both on max

K2vsTk10.jpg

Same shot, lower exposure

K2vsTk10LowExposure.jpg

My observation, the Tk10 edges out the hotspot of the K2 on high by just abit. But, the Tk10 is definetly brighter. How do i know? two tests.
Ceiling bounce, hard to see but i thought things were brighter with the Tk10, but, then i came up with the idea of both extremely close to the wall.

K2 on left, Tk10 right...low exposure

DSC00809.jpg

its surprisingly close! my K2 is definetly an over achiever.Its hard to see, but im still gonna stick with my Tk10 as being brighter, it was more painful to look at the Tk10 when i took that picture then the K2.

K2 LOW vs ARC-DS
LowvsArcDs.jpg

Its an acceptable low as far as I'm concerened.

Looking for Throw?

K2 Max vs Tiablo A9 Max(2 x RCR123A low exposure)

K2highvsA9Lowexposhure.jpg

*NOTE*
As most of you know by now, I dont own any sort of "Acceptable" camera, as such i cannot count my Low exposure by "stops" How do i do my low exposure? well, i take advantage of the shutter lag of my cell phone, i shine a bright light into the arperture, When i click, i quicky turn of that light, and move it away, so that its still adjusted exposure for that brightness, when its taking the beam shots. I am including this information because i know it will matter to some HOW i took those shots. I WILL get a DSLR one day...hopefully...maybe if i stopped spending everything on lights..:ohgeez:

If you want, you can request Beamshots Against:
P1DQ5
Tiablo A9
Malkoff M60
DX R2 drop in
Arc LS-s
ROP-HI
Longbow Micra
Arc- CS
P60
Lumen Factory 320 lumen
LF2X
Kaidomain V4

the long awaited runtime graph

K2runtimeHigh.jpg

this is on high, the max brightness mode.the y-axis are lux numbers, but dont compare them to anything, they are relative only to how i am measureing it.x-axis is the time, i did 30 second intervals. Also note that when the graph hits zero, its still emmitting a usable amount of light, but its too little light for my lux meter to catch after my diffusing set up. My Observation, is regulation up to about an hour or so before it falls. YMMV, but it shouldnt vary too much..:)
like all other flashaholics, im very happy to see that straight-ish line, they got regulation right!

Crenshaw

Last edited:

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Review: Kingpower K2 18/7/08 Updated with Beamshots and Pictures

I would like to see freezing and heating tests. And beamshots for all of the listed lightd above. Thanks :laughing: !

kramer5150

Flashaholic

Nice!! the surge in 2AA / Cree popularity lately is really nice!!

Looking forward to video!!:)

LG&M

Enlightened

Nice, I was jus thinking of getting this light. Thanks

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast

Tick-tock, tick-tock...So where are the goods, Crenshaw :) ?

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast

Tick-tock, tick-tock...So where are the goods, Crenshaw :) ?

I'm guessing his life doesn't revolve around the review of this light. :grin2: :poke:

I'm almost afraid to admit that I got my sample for review today. My review will probably be up sometime tomorrow.

On a side note, I put a 14500 in mine and the light has no different brightness levels and on high and strobe, there is a high pitched whine. So I won't be using a 14500 for the testing to compare to my EDC, the NDI.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm guessing his life doesn't revolve around the review of this light. :grin2: :poke:

I'm almost afraid to admit that I got my sample for review today. My review will probably be up sometime tomorrow.

On a side note, I put a 14500 in mine and the light has no different brightness levels and on high and strobe, there is a high pitched whine. So I won't be using a 14500 for the testing to compare to my EDC, the NDI.

Thank you for the support srcvtec....:buddies:..i feel ya...really!

Adamlau, firstly, thank you for choosing to PM your comments about my review instead of posting them. I will reply to them soon.

I just want a feeling here, these are some problems that Adamlau had with my review.

1. You gotta clear your table for pictures, nobody wants to see background items. Also, background items exaggerate the angle of your shots.

2. Straighten your pictures, some are crooked when they could be shots straight.

3. Crop your pictures!

4. Why are your comparative beamshots not on the same plane? Use a table and raise, or lower the lights so the hotspot is even in *all* of the shots!
I personally do not feel that any of these are much of a problem, but if other too feel that there is a problem, please do let me know.

As a side note, i DID get this light free of charge, on the condition that would conduct a thorough review on it. And i AM in the midst of doing it. the lux meter i BOUGHT specifically for this review is on the way, and i will conduct runtime tests when it does get here.

Crenshaw

rookie

Enlightened

Thanx for the great review.

A couple of questions, is the clickie positive or reverse? Tactical for momentary flash? Any memory features for mid/low/high or does it always start at mid?

:thanks: :thumbsup:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanx for the great review.

A couple of questions, is the clickie positive or reverse? Tactical for momentary flash? Any memory features for mid/low/high or does it always start at mid?

:thanks: :thumbsup:

Okay, probably should have covered this ealier..:ohgeez:
will update after this... but..

it comes on Mid-Low-Hi-Strobe. Its a reverse clicky, which IMO is good for this light, cos you can click it on, then half press (not click) to change modes. :) There is no "tactical" mode, but i think this light is designed for general use anyway, rather then tactical. :)

Crenshaw

rtt

Enlightened

Great review! Where does one purchase this light and what is the cost including shipping to the United States?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

thanks for the compliments guys.:)

As for where to find this light...i do not know exactly just yet...the only place that it seems to have representation
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=181095

but there are not prices up yet. I guess you could send an Email to sales team...:)

Crenshaw

Triple A

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for taking the time to do a great review. Also, the photos look fine to me- they give the detail I need for a reasonable comparison. Great Work!

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast

Those pictures are fine, Crenshaw :) . They tell a story which is all their own, I have no problems with them at all. Take my thoughts as suggestions and nothing more. Nice review :thumbsup: .

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Glad we cleared it up adamlau..:)

as for the youtube video, i asked kingpower precisely what they want to see in the youtube video, as i think all aspects of the light can be covered without a video, but is there anything you guys think can only be done in a video? thanks

Crenshaw

kramer5150

Flashaholic

is there anything you guys think can only be done in a video? thanks

Crenshaw

-cell-rattle (or no-rattle) demonstration
-dis assembly teardown can benefit from video if theres anything terribly difficult about getting the light apart or back together. If, for example theres an unusually short (or long) thread-count holding the mating parts together.
-Bezel anti-roll features.
-Hold techniques, show your favorite and not so favorite methods of holding. If you have a firearm, demonstrate different firearm holds.
-Delay or lag time between modes (if its a multi-mode), and any difficulties operating the UI. Video can also show the simplicity of the UI, how easy it is to use.

Outdoor beamshots would be a nice addition, either on video or photo. Specifically something to comparatively show the throw distance and the lights flood-ability.
-Packaging, both shipping/handling protective materials and the actual box+padding would be another nice addition. Either photo or video.

many members also value battery life and current draw measurements as part of a review. Although you dont need video or pics to do it.

This thread pretty much illustrates whats important to most.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/202489
:twothumbs

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Thanks for the review Crenshaw - looking forward to more of them from you. :)