New to the forum and turning into a flashaholic

ZardHex

Newly Enlightened
Hey everybody...been trolling here on CPF for a little while and decided to speak up...through this forum i searched and researched to find a good <$50 bikelight, which became an MTE P7-C 2-mode from DX...great flood and enough throw to see the potholes, debris and 200lb critters running out in front of me on the road going 30mph at 12am :thumbsup: Also found a great and thorough review by Ernsanada on the MF DA1 Cree Q5 1xAA from shiningbeam.com which is now my present EDC light (love the cream-white color of the q5 wc)

Now i just decided to grab one of the much talked about Lowes Task Force 3W Cree white star 2C lights(which I converted from 0.95A to 1.6A on a protected 18650, and noticeably brighter now:twothumbs great throw for a cheap led with the clear optics instead of SMO reflector...beam is a little too blue for my tastes, but, oh well...lights 'em up@100yds, so not too shabby!)

Speaking of cheap...got an Aurora wf-600 18650 on its way so i can tinker some more, and my lovely GF can rest easy that i wont tinker with her beloved old M@g 3D any more:whistle:....i'm spreading out my money cheaply right now, but look forward to get into something of a bit more $$$ quality like tiablo, dereelight or lumapower lights for example!

So anyway, just wanted to say hi and am very impressed with all the effort you guys put into pushing this technology forward...looks like things keep getting brighter and brighter for all of us :grin2:

TDKKP

Enlightened
Hey everybody...been trolling here on CPF for a little while and decided to speak up...through this forum i searched and researched to find a good <$50 bikelight, which became an MTE P7-C 2-mode from DX...great flood and enough throw to see the potholes, debris and 200lb critters running out in front of me on the road going 30mph at 12am :thumbsup: Also found a great and thorough review by Ernsanada on the MF DA1 Cree Q5 1xAA from shiningbeam.com which is now my present EDC light (love the cream-white color of the q5 wc)

Now i just decided to grab one of the much talked about Lowes Task Force 3W Cree white star 2C lights(which I converted from 0.95A to 1.6A on a protected 18650, and noticeably brighter now:twothumbs great throw for a cheap led with the clear optics instead of SMO reflector...beam is a little too blue for my tastes, but, oh well...lights 'em up@100yds, so not too shabby!)

Speaking of cheap...got an Aurora wf-600 18650 on its way so i can tinker some more, and my lovely GF can rest easy that i wont tinker with her beloved old M@g 3D any more:whistle:....i'm spreading out my money cheaply right now, but look forward to get into something of a bit more $$$ quality like tiablo, dereelight or lumapower lights for example!

So anyway, just wanted to say hi and am very impressed with all the effort you guys put into pushing this technology forward...looks like things keep getting brighter and brighter for all of us :grin2:

:welcome:

The Tiablo A9 is about $60 now at Kai/DX and it's throw much better than TF 2C White Cree even the TF is using 18650. I got both.

ZardHex

Newly Enlightened
Yeah those cheaper a9s impress me especially considering the reduced price (knock-offs? not sure) but they look to be optimized for cr123 on output...and i'm trying to keep my rechargeables exclusive to 18650 li-ons...thanks for the tip td...i saw the StefanS beamshots for P7 retrofits and caught some shots of the p7 sniper from wolf eyes and have been itching to do a P7 m@g, because i know theres a way to do an uber-thrower...probably with an asperic lens of some sort :thinking:

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast

My story is similar. I just wanted to buy a good flashlight and searched the net for forums about flashlights. That's how I found CPF. I decided my for the JetBeam Jet-III Pro I.B.S. after a while. Then I thought I need a EDC flashlight and preordered the EX10. Now I want to build me a Maglite 2D with Cree Q5 and aspherical lens. And I'm planning on building a ROP Maglite and one with a P7 emitter. I think I'm a flashaholic :D.

rayman

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:ZardHex. Just remember, you were "lurking" before you decided to speak up. "Trolling" refers to people that start inflammatory threads and/or write inflammatory posts. I'm sure this is not you. Have fun!

ZardHex

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for clarifying oddjob...i knew there was a term for it! :ohgeez:

Hey rayman, cant wait to see how the m@g q5 turns out for ya...i'm still tossed on which emitter to use on mine..either the q5, r2, ostar 6-die or p7...i bet i'll get best throw from the cree though... when i get my wf-600 in the mail i'll see what i can do to improve it

Cheers!

Last edited:

MS3

Newly Enlightened
I am new as well. Found lots of excellent info here ( wife would say too much ), but then I usually research the heck out of things anyway......

After using some lesser LED's, I wanted to get a "real" EDC flashlight and the NiteCore D-10 is it. Very happy with it so far ( 14500 and charger still in transit ). I also bought a neat little Tiablo A1.

I can't decide what's next - new JetBeam with 18650 ( when it's out ), NiteCore Extreme, a good 2xAA like L2D Q5. Soo many choices, but my car needs new tires first.:thinking:

TDKKP

Enlightened
I am new as well. Found lots of excellent info here ( wife would say too much ), but then I usually research the heck out of things anyway......

After using some lesser LED's, I wanted to get a "real" EDC flashlight and the NiteCore D-10 is it. Very happy with it so far ( 14500 and charger still in transit ). I also bought a neat little Tiablo A1.

I can't decide what's next - new JetBeam with 18650 ( when it's out ), NiteCore Extreme, a good 2xAA like L2D Q5. Soo many choices, but my car needs new tires first.:thinking:

I don't know what you meant by "new JetBeam with 18650 ( when it's out )" but the Jet III Pro I.B.S has been released using 18650.

MS3

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

TDKKP

Enlightened
Run while you can...

+1

Delete this favorite, set your browser to lock CPF so you can't click it, give all your CC/ATM to someone to keep (wife, partner, parents, ...), if you remember your CC/ATM numbers/info call the banks to get a new ones and try not to look at them when you activate the cards. If you can't you're on your own and good luck.

Originally Posted by TDKKP

I don't know what you meant by "new JetBeam with 18650 ( when it's out )" but the Jet III Pro I.B.S has been released using 18650.
Thanks for the welcome. Jet III Pro ST in thread below , who has it? http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=203173

Edit: Southern Lights AU says it will be available 8/15. Anyone know about in the states?

I just read that thread: I saw it but didn't click on it because I though it's a Fenix thread. I don't have any Fenix lights yet and don't have any plan to get one.

NetGod3Com

Newly Enlightened
I am with you, new to the forum and getting addicted, I have a few flashlights already and my fascination goes back years. I do use flashlights as tools and will try to keep my purchases to real usable lights; however, I rarely succeed in resisting temptations.

Triple A

Newly Enlightened
Welcome- and Hide your Wallet!!!!:welcome: Remember that there is no truth to saying, "this is my last light...." So don't even bother uttering the words.:)

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast

Please get the tires first but then, get a JetBeam. I like it better than my other lights. Not only is it a gorgeous light, I like the interface better and for the newbie, that means in this case how you turn it off, on, adjust the light and all that stuff.

Hey, I'm still learning the BASICS :)

ZardHex

Newly Enlightened
Hey thanks for the welcome guys! I know i'm probably in for a long-drawn out battle with my disposable income and my better-half(she doesnt quite get the whole flashlight thing :crazy:) but her 3d mag seems to suit her just fine (i got a mild 'wow' from her after she saw the output of the magled i dropped in it) So, now i'm building a small collection of lights to test with and hope i can create something abit more impressive to wow the folks that can appreciate a good beam....like some people at work who are used to the older incan lights that take huge batteries!

Cheers!

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'l-l probably want to check out some of rob's stuff. That got a "WOW!" last night ;)

Oh, I've really done it now >.<

ZardHex

Newly Enlightened
You'l-l probably want to check out some of rob's stuff. That got a "WOW!" last night ;)

Oh, I've really done it now >.<

Those Lummis look superb...just dont have it in the budget for another EDC right now...the one in my sig is working great for me so far...plus its not bad in the looks department either:cool:

Quiri: Ur post https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/202206 about driving to wally-world looking for lights made me lol and reminded me of my own ventures to the brick-n-mortars looking for something to quench the light thirst without having to wait forever from those well-known chinese merchants to delivery a decent "bang-for-the-buck" torch...your story hits a little close to home...the one w*lm@rt near my house disappointed me as they didnt carry the cyclops thor x spotlights for me to try out :mecry: