super low low with a warm tint?

underconstruction

Newly Enlightened
I just got back from a long hike/walk through the woods. I took along my father's new L0D Q4. First off I have to say i am totally blown away by the amount of light this tiny thing puts out.

Unfortunately in this situation it was part of the problem. Even on low there was just too much light. My night adjusted eyes were practically blinded every time I turned it on. And having to cycle past the high mode to get back to low again made it worse.

Also the blueness took out all the color and contrast from the trees and grass, they all practically looked the same color, especially on low.

So, what I am looking for is a light that has a very low low and a warm tint for better color rendition and contrast. Maybe a D10 modded with a warm cree.

Has anyone tried it? Can anyone suggest a flashlight to meet my needs so i don't have to spend tons of money buy bits and pieces and rebuilding an existing light?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Im looking for the EXACT same thing... without breaking the bank if thats at all possible.
either 1AA or 1AAA
Decent DC-DC regulation
floody beam
LONG run time (preferably close to 10 hours)
White tint, no blue/purple please

Closest I can come to is the Fenix E01, but I have read posts saying it is very blue tint:thumbsdow. Then theres the Gerber infinity ultra, but it needs a Nichia GS mod to get the most out of it, out of the box it is also a blue tint.:thumbsdow

I had been using a nite-ize modded minimag but its a little big/bulky and the color tint is a really pukey blue/purple. It could easily pass for a blue LED:green::green::green:

Multi-modes would be nice, but they would have to start out in low mode.

:sigh::sigh: Still looking, although the Gerber is the front runner ATM

Last edited:

EV_007

Enlightened
How about an E1E with an F04 diffuser? Nice contrast and wide low floody beam.

Oh,, in the LED the L1D R80 on low is nice. No flickering on low since it does not use the PWM for dimming and the Rebel is a little warmer.

Even a Photon style key chain light in the yellow variety isn't too bad. Can't get much lower than that. The amber tinit gives you the warm look to boot.

FX67

Newly Enlightened
I have SF E1L and low is great with F04 would be even softer and a real flood. As for a tint, I hear you. Comparing SF to HDS, Surefire is much warmer tint, great for green color where some shades of green under some LED look grey. From utility stand point new E1L has a low that is low enough for night with high that is high enough for long range spoting.
Plus low is always first so no thinking required. While I love HDS and upgraded one of them with Seoul. Surefire is enough for all of the outdoor tasks with long running time. One of the cool things about it that it doesn't look like optics but rather like reflector. Completely different from earlier KL1 head.

Photon Joe

Newly Enlightened
I just got a gerber IU a month ago and the new ones have a very white light.
I just orderd 3 more 2 days ago.
Much brighter than older models and plenty of runtime.
It is as bright and white as a couple of my multicell AA lights .
I am very pleased @ $16.95 each, I still have my old CMG IU lights and this gerber blows them away big time.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I just got a gerber IU a month ago and the new ones have a very white light.
I just orderd 3 more 2 days ago.
Much brighter than older models and plenty of runtime.
It is as bright and white as a couple of my multicell AA lights .
I am very pleased @ $16.95 each, I still have my old CMG IU lights and this gerber blows them away big time.

Hmm... I hadn't considered an E1E. Will it :poof: using RCR123 cells?... or is it a primaries-only light? I'm guessing it will flash at 4.2V, being incan.

Regarding the Gerber, How do you tell if it is a newer production run? Is there a serial number, date code on the packaging? or something visually identifiable on the light?

Can I ask where you ordered yours from? Maybe I'll just get it there to play it safe.:D

Sorry OP for hijacking your thread... let me know if this bothers you and I will delete my comments... thanks:eek:

thanks... no more pukey-blue nite-ize for me!!

Last edited:

Photon Joe

Newly Enlightened
I got mine at rockynational,com , the UI-M is on sale too, I got 2 of those
as well, though they are just a tad dimmer I think due to the extra lens and deeper seating of the emitter. To me they still rock though.
As for numbers or other ID, I had found something but forgot where, but the ones at RN had the right numbers for the newest lots.
My # was 22-80027 if that helps.
I got a Taskforce 1 AA that is much brighter but does not run near as long.
It is too bright for night adapted eyes in close quarters.

Hmm... I hadn't considered an E1E. Will it :poof: using RCR123 cells?... or is it a primaries-only light? I'm guessing it will flash at 4.2V, being incan.

Regarding the Gerber, How do you tell if it is a newer production run? Is there a serial number, date code on the packaging? or something visually identifiable on the light?

Can I ask where you ordered yours from? Maybe I'll just get it there to play it safe.:D

Sorry OP for hijacking your thread... let me know if this bothers you and I will delete my comments... thanks:eek:

thanks... no more pukey-blue nite-ize for me!!

Last edited:

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, low output and warm tint....Mag solitaire? :eek::duh2::whistle:
find a low-output, good CRI bi-pin led, remove the reflector, and voila!

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
would Gerber LX1 with half drained batteries fit the bill?:shrug: mine's got a yellow-green tint.

beamwise its got a not too bright but wide hotspot, with diminishing spill just alittle wider than my Inova X5T. :)

Last edited:

underconstruction

Newly Enlightened
I just put an order in for the Q2 5A p60 drop in and the c2 clone p60 host from DX. Does anyone know of a driver that has the 0-100% ramping brightness or just one with a very low low? DX sells a drop-in that will do it but it comes with a WC Q5 so at that point I'd have ended up with 3 drop-ins just to get what I'm looking for built.

Latest posts