Which Fenix P1D to Choose

Albinoni

Banned
I've noticed with the P1D there are two kinds, one having a Cree 7090 Cree LED (Premium Editon) and the other having a Luxeon Rebel. Both being 3W LED's.

I am assuming here the Cree editon is the later model and also costs slightly more, but out of the two which provides a better run time and out of the two LED's which has a whiter light/LED. I do know with some earlier Luxeons (like on my MiniMaglite AA the beam colour is slightly of a creamy colour where as some of my other torches which have got Cree LED's their more on the whiter side.

Also will either the Cree or Rebel P1D accept RCR123A's ?

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
haven't seen a P1D w/a Rebel (own some other P[n]D models and L[n]D models w/a Rebel though).

the Cree's emit a whiter light than the Rebels (in every type of light i own, both flashlights & HLs, both Fenix & non-Fenix lights).

in many lights, but NOT all, the Cree's will accept RCR's. at least some Rebel lights CANNOT use RCR's.

the other thing to consider in a P1D is textured reflector or smooth reflector. i have both P1D-Q5's w/smooth and textured reflectors (i mean in different actual lights, of course - not a single light w/interchangeable reflectors). depending upon your particular use, you might prefer one over the other. in my case, the extra throw of the smooth reflector on its lowest 16lumen o.p. level is preferrable. also, in actual outdoor use & most indoor use (other than white wall hunting), the smooth reflector, w/it's classic Cree donut & rings is either not really noticed (outdoors) or not really objectionable (indoors, other than on larger smooth/flat surfaces).

hope this info helps a little.

ClickieClique

Newly Enlightened
Both versions of this light will be the same in brightness, so this should not be an issue.

Now, some differences are:
The rebel has a warm tint, whereas the cree is cool white.
The rebel also has a smoother beam, while the cree has some rings
which are only noticable when shined on a close wall.
There are some issues on the durability of rebels, which may affect the
reliability of this particular P1D. Crees are proven to be durable and
very reliable.

You can use RCR123's in the P1D, but if you use 3.6v batteries, it becomes a single-mode light (high only) until the voltage drops.

Good luck!

kurni

Enlightened
I've noticed with the P1D there are two kinds, one having a Cree 7090 Cree LED (Premium Editon) and the other having a Luxeon Rebel. Both being 3W LED's.

Do you mean Q5 vs RB100?

I am assuming here the Cree editon is the later model and also costs slightly more, but out of the two which provides a better run time and out of the two LED's which has a whiter light/LED.

Lottery; Fenix doesn't guarantee the bin. See this thread for Rebel & Cree cool white.

Generally Rebel has lower Vf compared to Q5 as tested in this thread, hence theoretically speaking the Rebel will have longer runtime. In the real application however, I cannot comment as I'm not an electronic whiz; there are a lot more factors that I'm not aware of.

Also will either the Cree or Rebel P1D accept RCR123A's ?

Officially Fenix doesn't support RCR123A (LiCoO2), the voltage (3.6V - 4.2V) may exceed Vf hence the boost circuit (I assume) is bypassed, resulting in direct drive. If you insist on RCR123A however, you should choose Q5 version as Cree has higher Vf, and generally it's more capable in handling higher current.

I own RB100 version, and I've been using a different LiIon (LiFePO4) with lower voltage. Eric has done a very good summary of various LiIon and their compatibility.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
can someone please provide a link to a *** P1D *** Rebel version that y'all are mentioning. i'd like to purchase one. haven't looked recently, but in the past i must have missed such on BrightGuy.com, Fenix-Store, and Lighthound.com where i've purchased all of my MANY Fenix lights from. many thanks, pj aka half-watt

HKJ

Flashaholic
can someone please provide a link to a *** P1D *** Rebel version that y'all are mentioning. i'd like to purchase one. haven't looked recently, but in the past i must have missed such on BrightGuy.com, Fenix-Store, and Lighthound.com where i've purchased all of my MANY Fenix lights from. many thanks, pj aka half-watt

The Rebel version was on the market last year, before xmas, but at the same time there was a production problem with the Rebel leds and they was removed from the market.

Maybe your can find a dealer with some old stock.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep a pretty close watch on Fenix's offerings and don't recall them ever offering a Rebel P1D.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I'd recommend the Cree Q5 version with the textured reflector in any case. I own another P1 with a smooth reflector, and the effect on throw is negligible, the P1's shallow reflector just isn't set up for long-distance throw. The P1's beam profile is ideal for general/all-around use, and the textured reflector improves it that much more by smoothing out the corona and helping to defeat the "Cree Donut".

The OP might be referring to the CE/P4 emitter as opposed to the Rebel; the Rebel is fantastic for outdoor/nature use but looks bland in indoors/urban applications because of its warm tint (and is visibly not as bright as the Cree). And the CE/P4 is technically just a dimmer version of the Q5 with the same battery life. The Q5's super-whiteness and high output make it a natural match to the P1's all-situations usability.

DM51

Flashaholic
Geminidan, I removed a comment from your post. You may discuss that by PM, but not in this thread.

lio

Newly Enlightened
P1D or P2D??????

Which one should i buy?

I won't use it for work, just to have always on me, i don't necessary need a click reverse switch, but the idea to have it on a flashlight is not bad, the size of both lights are nearly the same, so i dont no what to do, someone that have them both, which one is better to have and edc?

thx in advance

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: P1D or P2D??????

If you get the P2D, down the road you can get the L2D & L1D body and tail, and use it as a AA light as well.

Food for thought.

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: P1D or P2D??????

... or you could buy a P1D and a P3D. One for your keychain, the other for the pocket.

Edit: What the... Why was this moved? What does choosing between two models have to do with choosing between two emitters (in a same model)?

lio

Newly Enlightened
i didnt understand why too, its not the same subject, the threads are diferents.