Fenix TK10 and Strobe Functionality

RanceHood

Newly Enlightened
I just got my Fenix TK10 last week from a fellow CPF member and was disappointed to find out that there was no strobe function. I'm wondering if there is any way to MOD or change tail caps to allow the strobe function to work.

I am also curious as to if anyone has ever had to signal an airplane or helicopter with one (I know this is a stretch but I'm just curious).

Marduke

Flashaholic
If you need to signal, you can use the momentary switch as a signal switch. No, it is not possible to mod it to have a strobe.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can use it for strobe by pressing the switch in and out rapidly. I have no problem doing it with the TK10 but it is not possible to do it for long periods unfortunately.

Darkpower

Newly Enlightened
I can see the strobe function as being a nice hidden feature, but it is annoying as hell in an small handheld flashlight if it is accidentally triggered.

Some of the newer lanterns have the strobe function imbedded in such a way its difficult to stumble upon it, like the River Rock lantern which steps through the HI-LO-off setting after each time the power switch is depressed, but to access the strobe, you have to depress the switch and hold it for 5 seconds.

I have several of the Fenixes and many step through the strobe and the s.o.s. feature and it is annoying as hell when you don't want it. They should make the strobe more difficult to access.

On the same note I like the strobe feature if its the only flashlight I have in a car, on a camping trip or in any situation where I need to get the attention of first responders such as fire dept, police or paramedics, or even to get another citizen to take note and call emergency services.

RanceHood

Newly Enlightened
I know of a few specific times during Hurricane Katrina recover where we need to hail a helicopter on guard and requested them to land and pick up a patient. It would have been nice to have the strobe functionality to give them a visual queue, something that would have stood out (We did have GPS and gave them the coordinates to the LZ).

And my other thought is that if these aren't made for signaling then why do some of the new lights out there have Strobe and SOS?

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my Fenix TK10 last week from a fellow CPF member and was disappointed to find out that there was no strobe function. I'm wondering if there is any way to MOD or change tail caps to allow the strobe function to work.

I am also curious as to if anyone has ever had to signal an airplane or helicopter with one (I know this is a stretch but I'm just curious).

It was intended to be that way, because a lot of people hated all the blinky modes on their smaller lights and they made the T series as a simple two mode.