Any Flahoholic experiences from Vancouver, BC power outage?

RGB_LED

Enlightened
I've been reading the papers that some 1000 stores, business and buildings were without power in downtown Vancouver, BC, Canada for about 4 days. I know that only represents a small portion of the population in Vancouver but I'm curious to hear any experiences from Vancouver Flahoholics...

I also read this article that some hotels were using glow-sticks to assist their guests... where's a Flashoholic when they need one?

So, anyone with experiences from the outage? :popcorn:

cuester

Newly Enlightened
They're most likely off chasing the people who borrowed their lights. :candle:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know when the blackout happened here in 2003, I didn't have any decent flashlights then other than incan minimags and some Garrity incans.

Now when the power goes out, I am happy (as long as it comes back on before the food in the freezer goes bad) :D

ackbar

Enlightened
I think my only flash light during the 2003 blackout was my photon III. Wow look how far I came :p

spencer

Enlightened
There was a power outage in Saskatoon last night. The power was out for about an hour and a half. I currently do not have any decent lights. I wish I had the P7 maglite I have planned.
Anyway, in the living room I had a minimag knockoff (I paid about $2 for it with batteries) that I took the head off of and made into a candle. It provided enough light to see with.
I was really impressed with the Costco wind up lights that I had. They are 1 watt dynamo lights that are really decent. Maybe 40 lumens so not too bright but they out threw a 5mm flashlight with an aspherical lens. They also had decent runtime. I'd estimate seven or eight minutes to 50% output after cranking for awhile. It uses 3 1/3AAA 110mAh cells.
With the minimal light that I did have, it was more than enough for the pitch black.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spencer, small, longer lasting lights will serve you better in power outages than the large eye scorchers as you have found out yourself. You actually need very few lumens to live comfortably in a dark house with no other light sources. In such a situation large powerful lights are only really good for impressing people outside or for intruder/security issues. In past power outages my small long running lights like puck lights, lanterns and SMJLED modded minigmas have been used extensively, while even lights like the X03 and more powerful ones have stood untowched mostly. This is of course only my persoal opinion and experience.

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spencer, small, longer lasting lights will serve you better in power outages than the large eye scorchers as you have found out yourself. You actually need very few lumens to live comfortably in a dark house with no other light sources. In such a situation large powerful lights are only really good for impressing people outside or for intruder/security issues. In past power outages my small long running lights like puck lights, lanterns and SMJLED modded minigmas have been used extensively, while even lights like the X03 and more powerful ones have stood untowched mostly. This is of course only my persoal opinion and experience.

I have two lights for this task one 12 watt emergency Big Jim light running on a 18 ah 12 volt SLA battery for 18 hours of use and I have plenty of those batteries for back up. And a 4 watt exterior light attached to the same kind of battery for 56 hours of use.

Jayman

Newly Enlightened
I was all ready for action with my TK11 in hand and D10 for back up, but unfortunately my suburb was unaffected. Which I suppose was a good thing for my neighbors, but I really wanted to put my lights to some real world use. Oh well maybe next time:sigh: