How waterproof is a Maglite??

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have purposely put a 2xAAA minimag in the bath for a few minutes to test it a long time ago with no problems. I don't know how waterproof other mags are.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used one submerged in a shallow pool before. The switch membrane isn't well sealed at all, so I actually wrapped that whole section with several turns of electrical tape. With that done, it was fine. Though for continuous runs, I suspect the window seal would be the weakest. If you were interest in actually making the Mag into a submergible light, I'd do the following:

1) Glue the switch membrane in with silicone sealant (reversible, in case you need to open it up)
2) Remove window O-Ring. Glue the window to the bezel with Epoxy
3) Apply thread-seal tape to all the threads, as a second level of protection. For threads that don't need to be opened often (eg bezel, or head if focusing isn't used), silicone sealant could be used for better protection.

Last edited:

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the lack of a lose rubber switch, Minimags seem quite water resistant, My 2xAAA has seen shower heads and brief submerging with little problems, I did get a little moisture in there though, but that was before I had lube on the threads.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
What 2x said. A tailcap O-ring of greater cross sectional area and of the same durometer as the original will help as well.

kts

Enlightened
I once dropped a minimag in my fishtank, it didnt do any harm, still working today.:thumbsup:

Gado

Newly Enlightened
I swam with a mini mag in the pool for a few hours and it was completely dry inside.

scottaw

Enlightened
I've thrown a 2D mag in a pool, some water intrusion, but took it apart and let it dry, no permanent damage. I'd certainly trust it in a heavy downpour.

abinok

Newly Enlightened
I "lost" my first minimag in a pond (watershead from a large lake) while camping about 15 years ago. 14 months later I was at the same spot in the pond and the water was down about 2 ft from where it was the year before. A friend and I were breaking ice in the surface, from a log just above the water when my friend lost his balance and fell in. The water was only about 16inches deep, so he was not quite soaked... but in the course of catching himself, his hand it something submerged that we later dug out of the frozen mud... you guessed it. my minimag. There was a lot of condensation inside, but it was not even close to "full of water" The batteries were dead, but with a quick swap it fired right up. I carried it for a couple more years, then dropped it on a trail in a much more heavily traveled area. It was gone by the time I realized I was missing it. I occasionally wonder it its being used by whoever found it... They don't even know that its a survivor that spend a year in purgatory.

If cats have 9 lives, I wonder how many flashlights have...

cheapma

Newly Enlightened
I made a mistake of adjusting the focal length by twisting the head in-out underwater(sea). Water can seep in then. They sure did not put that un their Manual.