Need Help: Non-Functioning RC-G2

HarveyRich

Enlightened
I have two Romisen RC-G2 flashlights. Both worked fine at first and now neither lights at all. It began when first one of them would only light up if I unscrewed the cap a little. Then it would only go on sporadically. I exchanged parts with the other and then the other flashlight started up. Now both lights won't go on at all. I've charged the batteries too. Could it be in the pill or in the contacts? Any ideas?

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Run a wire between the neg end of the battery and the body of the light. If it lights up, the problem is in the switch.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
First thing is to usually clean contacts well - DeOxit is best for this but alcohol may help (isopropyl) or other contact cleaners. You may try taking the switch out to look for problems there and clean any contact areas. Look to make sure the pill and switch is screwed in fairly tight. Check to make sure the head is on as the focus function might leave it too loose. Check batteries (even new ones) with a voltmeter or battery tester to make sure they are actually good. I gave all my RC-G2's away so I can't think of much more.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
First thing is to usually clean contacts well - DeOxit is best for this but alcohol may help (isopropyl) or other contact cleaners. You may try taking the switch out to look for problems there and clean any contact areas. Look to make sure the pill and switch is screwed in fairly tight. Check to make sure the head is on as the focus function might leave it too loose. Check batteries (even new ones) with a voltmeter or battery tester to make sure they are actually good. I gave all my RC-G2's away so I can't think of much more.
+1 One of my RC-G2's had a bad switch that could not be fixed.

If you remove it then clean (and test) it before putting it back together it may work OK and could be the problem, you will need needle nose pliars or similar device to do this.

HarveyRich

Enlightened
Thanks very much guys. The problem was in the switch it appears. It wasn't that the switch was broken, but rather that the coatings on the contact points prevented electical contact between the body and the battery. I pulled out the inside of the switch and gave it, and the contact area on the body, a fine sanding and placed the switch back on. Now both flashlights seem to be working perfectly. I would venture to guess that this situation comes up in quite a few lights. Cleaning, or sanding, the contact points making for a good contact would probably be the best first approach.

Latest posts