Going Diving Which Light?

Dadof6

Enlightened
I'm going down the Rainbow River in Florida tomorrow and wanted to bring a light for the illumination of crevaces, etc. I will be snorkel and fins. What light should I bring? I have three choices.

Ra Twisty,

McGizmo Ti. mule,

or

Lunasol.

Your comments would be very much appreciated.

1dash1

Enlightened
The Ra Twisty's rated for 2 atmospheres, but that was under static testing conditions, not dynamic conditions encountered while swimming/diving.

I don't think you want to try your Lunasol.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2529161#post2529161

I didn't find any information on the McGizmo Ti Mule.

Whatever you do, make sure that all your seals are properly seated and lubricated. And after you get out of the water, open up and examine your light.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
A little quick set automotive gasket maker (the rubbery stuff, not the hard stuff) works well for me for sealing lights. If you do it right, you can peel it right off when you're done. :D

BobDeLaLuz

Newly Enlightened
A little quick set automotive gasket maker (the rubbery stuff, not the hard stuff) works well for me for sealing lights. If you do it right, you can peel it right off when you're done. :D

Will this keep a twisty sealed after a few twists?

GPB

Enlightened
Some of the springs restrict the use of lights as a way to keep people out of the caves and caverns so you may want to call ahead. I wouldn't bring any light that I cared about in the water if it wasn't intended to be used underwater. You can buy a cheap Princeton Tech light for $15, and then you'll have yourself a nice waterproof light. ( of course you can spend a lot more too ! ) There's no sense risking a high quality light. It's just not worth it.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it worth knowing your light is every bit as durable as advertised? Challenge the LunaSol :) .

portezbie

Newly Enlightened
Some of the springs restrict the use of lights as a way to keep people out of the caves and caverns so you may want to call ahead. I wouldn't bring any light that I cared about in the water if it wasn't intended to be used underwater. You can buy a cheap Princeton Tech light for $15, and then you'll have yourself a nice waterproof light. ( of course you can spend a lot more too ! ) There's no sense risking a high quality light. It's just not worth it.
agreed, not worth the risking a pricey light, buy something meant for diving.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely not worth it on an expensive light. I've had lights rated to 500 feet flood on 50 foot dives because of small nicks in orings, etc. Not likely to happen, but not worth risking a 200+ light.

Buy a Princeton Tec, Pelican, Underwater Kinetics or Ikelight...and keep the nice lights on board!

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would take a dedicated dive light.

In my experience, water intrusion happens most often when

1) the seals are not properly cared for

2) you constantly turn the light on and off while submerged/wet

Run down to Wally World before hand and get a UK and take one of the other lights as backup.

Dadof6

Enlightened
It seems like if you're going to buy a light that says it is good down a certain amount of feet, one should at least try it out.

So, I took the Ra Twisty. It worked like a charm. No water inside, stayed on my wrist the whole time. I probably went down to about 20 feet max.

So . . . now I know thae Ra Twisty works at least down to 20 feet.

Rich