How do I use a Fenix holster?

Rob87

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

I did a search, but didn't see anything about this, so I figured I'd ask here. What in the hell do I do with the holster that comes with a Fenix flashlight?

I own two P2D Q5s, and the holster that comes with it makes no sense. I can't clip it to anything, nor can I put it on my belt. It seems like I need something else to make the holster useable, which seems asinine to me. Why include the holster if I have to buy something else to clip it to?

Do any of you use the holster that came with your Fenix light? If so, how do you use it? I'm getting sick and tired of just throwing the light in my pocket, so I want to use the holster.

cdosrun

Enlightened
Hi Rob,

the holster is designed to be threaded onto a belt, there is a loop present (i.e. two layers of black nylon) below the plastic d-ring at the back of the holster; if your is missing it then I can understand your confusion.

Andrew

Rob87

Newly Enlightened
Wait, so there's a belt loop on the back below the d-ring?

:oops:

What's the d-ring for, anyhow?

Triple A

Newly Enlightened
Wait, so there's a belt loop on the back below the d-ring?

:oops:

What's the d-ring for, anyhow?

I use a lobster claw attachment on some of my lights to ensure that the light can't slip out of the sheath. This is a good "back-up" plan to ensure that you don't lose the light. I claw can be detached quickly with one hand.

EugeneJohn

Newly Enlightened
I use a lobster claw attachment on some of my lights to ensure that the light can't slip out of the sheath. This is a good "back-up" plan to ensure that you don't lose the light. I claw can be detached quickly with one hand.

I carried my P1D like that for a while when I first got it. It proved to be just a bit too much of a pain for me to keep it up.

I may be lucky, but I've never had my P1D come out of its holster accidently.

Rob87

Newly Enlightened
Oh, okay. I'll have to check my holster later and see if it has the belt loop or not.

I feel like an idiot. What a hell of a first post. :(

RGB_LED

Enlightened
I'm always wary that, over time, the holster starts to lose its stiffness and the light will be pushed out of it so... I loop my lanyard either around the D-ring or through the D-ring so that, if the light slips out of the holster, I won't lose the light. My imageshack a/c isn't working, otherwise I would upload a pic to show you what I mean.

generic808

Enlightened
Stare at it :crackup:

When I'm off, I just pop whatever light I feel like that day into my pocket. My EDC's are pretty beat up because of this, but hey, what's the purpose of a light if you're not going to use it, right?

Of course I do have a few shelf queens in my collection. Something along the lines of 40+ Surefire's :devil:

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, okay. I'll have to check my holster later and see if it has the belt loop or not.

I feel like an idiot. What a hell of a first post. :(
Hey, you're not the first one, or the last one that'll ask this question. It's real easy to miss, obviously.

And, :welcome:

LumenMan

Enlightened
Stare at it :crackup:

When I'm off, I just pop whatever light I feel like that day into my pocket. My EDC's are pretty beat up because of this, but hey, what's the purpose of a light if you're not going to use it, right?

Of course I do have a few shelf queens in my collection. Something along the lines of 40+ Surefire's :devil:

40+ Surefire's ??!! :huh: I only have 21...:whistle: (so far...) :devil::)

Dantor

Enlightened
I remember the last thread about this, their were some eyerollers and head slappers too:ohgeez:

Niconical

Enlightened
I have a P2D Q5 in the supplied holster.
It's had a fair amount of use.

The other day I changed belts, and then slotted the holster with the light in it on to the belt. I went out for the day, but at no point did I need the light. At night, back at home, I did need the light, I reached for it, and it was upside down, light facing down. had been all day, that's how I slotted it back on there that morning.

So, if you're worried the holster might get loose, I suppose it will eventually, but it seems quite tight for me for now!

As for the plastic D-ring, I removed it, more comfortable to belt-carry the holster then.

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
dsc07013yj9.jpg

a picture is worth a thousand words :D

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
haha, those holsters are sneaky, one guy was carrying it for months, and didnt notice the belt loop until he saw a post on cpf about it. Thankfully, when my P1DQ5 was my only EDC, it was quite obvious. If you carry the P1D in its holster bezel down, its pretty tight, compared to bezel up.

Crenshaw

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Add me to this list of silly people that didn't notice :(

I had known about it since a couple of months ago, but I didn't initially notice the belt loop and wondered about it just as you others did.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Wow, I noticed the belt loop right away when I got my first Fenix... I currently have my EX10 in my old Fenix P2D holster and fits perfectly. My only concern is that the material does loosen up over time - as I discovered when I had my L1D in there at one point without a lanyard and I noticed at the end of the day that it would shift upwards half-way. Now, I attach lanyards to all my single-cell lights.

But, what I couldn't figure out is what the plastic D-ring was for... :shrug::thinking: I just loop my lanyard around it - the carabiner idea is good but only works well if you have it hanging off your rucksack, etc. Otherwise, I don't see a need for it.

...Of course I do have a few shelf queens in my collection. Something along the lines of 40+ Surefire's :devil:
:huh: Eric, how many of those are actual shelf queens vs. beaters? And how many are polished? :grin2::popcorn:

Marduke

Flashaholic
I often use the D-ring + carabiner to clip the holster on a belt loop. I usually can't stand holsters on a belt, so I prefer to hang them instead.