Dropping oil...time for a Mustang GT?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forget the Prius, Fit, Yaris...with dealers dropping the price of the powerfull gas hogs...I say it`s time for that girl getting dream car that you REALLY want. Might be the last chance to burn some 300+ horsepower rubber. Before your to old and gas is truely in short supply. What do you think...gas sipping Yaris...or bad to the bone Mustang GT?

Or just to risky...oil will likely shoot back up in short order?

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is something that does it all: attracts the opposite sex, doesn't cost much, goes fast, sips gas (if you don't push it hard, that is) and has the bonus feature that it can actually get you where you need to go. It's called a motorbike. :p

Rzr800

Enlightened
"..Before your to old and gas is truely in short supply.."

If you're old enough...gas is never in short supply :eeew:

Anybody that has the cash should not miss out on the latest muscle cars regardless of what gas ends up costing. Compared to what you could get years ago; these cars are obviously engineering marvels.

Last edited:

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go for the GT while you still can! It may be the last car ever made with a live rear axle!

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't been keeping track of world events and I didn't notice that gas prices had gone down, but I'd bet a lot of $$$$$ that they'll go up more. A lot more.

If you want the Mustang and can afford it then by all means go get one, don't try to justify it. Get a cheap daily driver and treat yourself to your Mustang when the urge strikes you and the tank is full.

:buddies:

steed77

Newly Enlightened
Get the gas hog. Actually a Mustang GT is not that bad.

Try driving my SVT Lightning. I get 12/17 on 93 oct. AND I get that being easy on it. Then again 450+hp is just so fun.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can afford the car and the gas, Mustang GT all the way. No question about it. Nothing replaces the feeling of having fun on the road while driving. Add on a set of Dr. Gas crossovers to a pair of Stingers and watch your cool factor quadruple! See my profile for a partial list of mods I made to my Cobra, now pushing 535 RWHP SAE, 495 RWTQ SAE :) . Does it bother me when I have to fill up every few days? Yes! But no matter as I enjoy the comraderie local Mustang clubs, tracks and forums provide. And there is nothing that compares to the feeling of smoking a modded ricer and walking Vettes and Porsches on the freeway ;) .

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The current generation Mustang is the first ever to have made Consumer Report's "Recommended" list, so there is some sensibility there.

Don't forget the 18" wheels, 3.55 limited slip axle, glass roof, and Shaker 1000 audio system :thumbsup:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Buick Grand National would be my choice;)... Nothing against mustangs the aftermarket potential for those things is unreal.

I'd kill for a 67 Malibu. My grandfather had one of these and every year the family would drive up to Lake Tahoe. We needed 2 cars so I'd ride with him in the FRONT seat:thumbsup:. My job as a 6 Y/O was to keep him awake and keep him from falling asleep on the road, so he would PUMP me full of sugar and junk-food and we'd sing Christmas carols all the way there, in the middle of August!! His muffler rotted out and he never bothered to replace it. I think it was a 305(?) ci block and it was so loud it made your chest thump. I thought it was the coolest thing.

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might've been a 327 in the Malibu.

My father had a 65 Impala Super Sport with a 427 in it.

When mom got pregnant with me, he traded it on a station wagon...mom was not happy :laughing:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If you already have a more practical car, a GT Mustang is fine.

Having seen what a good friend of mine goes through, and what one of my bosses goes through with their V8 Mustangs.... You'd be better off with something else as a daily commuter.

They're great when it comes to the cool factor, and for impressing chicks.... Not so great when trying to drive home in a blizzard.

z96Cobra

Enlightened
I have ~170,000 miles on my '96 Cobra. It still runs like new and it still gets over 20 mpg without even trying to baby it. I've been thinking about trying to see how high I can get the mpgs, but its hard to keep my foot out of it! Best mpg that I can remember recently getting is 23.XX mpg, without even trying... Only mods are exhaust and a SCT programmer. I've ran Mobil 1 synthetic in it since the first oil change. If you want more fun, but less mileage, find a '99-'03 Lightning. I had an '01 for a year, then traded it in on my F350. I'd give anything to still have my L. Its the most fun vehicle I've ever been in!!!

Roger

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a long-term English car owner, I find the title amusing.

If I went shopping for a new car every time my car dripped oil...

Onn another note, I once thought "I'm going to own a V8 while I can still get one". That was in the last fuel crisis, in 1985, and I sincerely have not regretted it. I still own my 1976 Rover 3500 P6B, and drive it regularly. Once you buy a car with character and soul, you won't turn back.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a long-term English car owner, I find the title amusing.

If I went shopping for a new car every time my car dripped oil...

Onn another note, I once thought "I'm going to own a V8 while I can still get one". That was in the last fuel crisis, in 1985, and I sincerely have not regretted it. I still own my 1976 Rover 3500 P6B, and drive it regularly. Once you buy a car with character and soul, you won't turn back.

Greetings from America! Say, how about sending any TVR 350s that aren't being used this way for a, uh... CPF PASSAROUND! :whistle:

A Sagaris or two would be fine as well.

Last edited:

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go for it! I did. I picked up a 2008 Mustang GT a few weeks ago. It has a manual transmission and the premium package, which includes the leather seats and Shaker 500 CD changer, but the only options were spoiler delete and the 3.55 gears. I didn't like the plain plastic steering wheel, so I swapped it out for the leather wheel from the new Bullitt.

I also have a 2001 Mustang GT Bullitt edition that I've had for several years. I've owned four Mustangs in the last 20 years, bought my first one a few weeks after I turned 18.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buick Grand National would be my choice;)... Nothing against mustangs the aftermarket potential for those things is unreal.

Nothing like the Turbo v6, especially the 89' GTA. What a sweet car!

I like Mustangs also, epecially the deep growl. :) I remember when a friend of mine had a early to mid 90's 5.0 LX that was insane! It was black.:twothumbs

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
RyanA said:
Greetings from America! Say, how about sending any TVR 350s that aren't being used this way for a, uh... CPF PASSAROUND! :whistle:

A Sagaris or two would be fine as well.

Never ever laid eyes on a TVR 350. Never even heard of the other one.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, you're from Australia, I saw english and assumed England. anyways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CCe0AxpYJc
5th gear!:D

I was looking at pricing and specs, class 20 insurance. English for uninsurable I guess?

How about a ahem... passarond on a ford falcon then...:poke:

Were just starting to get the Commodore (pontiac G8 - in 09 they get the LS3 6.3L I hear:paypal:)
At least GM is now fianlly giving us the cars. Now if ford would just stop holding out. I want an XR6!

I do wish that when they released the GTO (Monaro) that they offered the Buick 3.8L supercharged V6 as an option.

Last edited: