Votes: 94 27.6%
  • Unix

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 7 2.1%

• Total voters

dulridge

Enlightened
Just about anything. Assorted Linux boxes, Solaris 10 and 8 (Nothing above 8 works with the RAID), MacOS X, MacOS 9, Windows (Almost only to read work email as nothing else will let me send email from the work account), OpenBSD

OS is irrelevant as long as the apps you want will work.

If it hadn't been for a case of sudden laptop death yesterday (It was an insurance writeoff due to wine spillage into it), the primary OS is MacOS X 10.5. Off to tear the thing apart and figure out why it stopped working.

Carpenter

Enlightened
Linux (Ubuntu) is what I use 95% of the time. If the app doesn't run in Linux, I have a virtual machine of Windows XP that runs on top of Linux using VirtualBox.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Win2k on my primary machine. I also have a machine with XP on it as well as a Linux box.

I was in a clinic getting a bone density scan a few years ago, and the machine kept crashing whenever the technician tried to open a file from a previous scan. I looked over my shoulder while it was rebooting and I saw the Windows-98 splash screen. Thank goodness it wasn't a heart pump or some other critical device.
:eek:

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a long time Mac user. And plan to ALWAYS be a Mac user.

Shreknow91

Enlightened
I have a dell running xp, and 4 macs running various versions of OS 10.4

and i plan on buying a macbook at the end of the year:twothumbs

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I regularly use several PCs with Windows 98 and XP, and several Macs with OS9 and OSX. My main machine is a PC even though I've been working on Macs since 1987.

I also have computers in the house that run Windows 2000, DOS, CP/M, all flavors of Mac OS, and Amiga OS. Plus some really old stuff like Apple IIs, TRS-80, and Commodore 64.

ackbar

Enlightened
Gentoo linux on both my desktop/laptop.. Maemo on my n810 and a windows partition on my desktop so I can play games :D

mechBgon

Enlightened
The main rig runs 64-bit Vista Ultimate (it technically dual-boots 32-bit WinXP Pro, but XP hasn't been booted for months).

The "leftover scraps" computer runs 32-bit WinXP Pro, and can still boot Win2000 Pro if I want to do some malware research, but I don't do much of that these days.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
Laptop: Gentoo 32 bits
Desktop: Windows Vista Professionnal 32 bits/Gentoo 64 bits
Web server: FreeBSD 6.3
Backup server: Arch Linux
GF's laptop: MacOS X 10.5
Work computer: Windows XP
Work servers: AIX/Various Linux
Router: Tomato WRT (Linux) ;)

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
My personal box is up 24/7 and has been running FreeBSD since 2000 or 2001 (FBSD4.1). Currently I have two 200GB drives -- each with it's own complete install of FreeBSD 6.2. Switching to UNIX was the best move I've ever made with computers -- I wish I'd done it ten years before.

EDIT: Am I missing something or is there a good reason why the respondant's votes add up to 136.07 % (at this time).

Darned computers.

Last edited:

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
My personal box is up 24/7 and has been running FreeBSD since 2000 or 2001 (FBSD4.1). Currently I have two 200GB drives -- each with it's own complete install of FreeBSD 6.2. Switching to UNIX was the best move I've ever made with computers -- I wish I'd done it ten years before.

:D Using mostly Linux/UNIX was also my best move! Where are you from? Your location description sounds "french".