Just bought a bowflex

batman

Enlightened
Anyone here ever used one or owned a bowflex? I just bought the bowflex revolution XP , yeah i'm crazy! After tax, shipping, lat tower and additional plates accessories, total price is about $3,200!
What's suprising is that my wife actually supported me in this purchase,..she almost never lets me buy anything( especially flashlights.)
take care, i'll post pics when i can.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone here ever used one or owned a bowflex? I just bought the bowflex revolution XP , yeah i'm crazy!
Didn't even know what it was before googling now.

After tax, shipping, lat tower and additional plates accessories, total price is about $3,200!
I've always been of the idea that if I need to lift weights and all that I can go lift crates or something. Never seen the point of paying for exercise when there's people who'll gladly pay you for the same thing.

Ok, ok, so it's not actually the same thing, but if you want to put on some muscle lifting crates will do just fine.

What's suprising is that my wife actually supported me in this purchase,..she almost never lets me buy anything( especially flashlights.)
Must... resist... making... remark... about... marriage...

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats. Put it to good use and get your money's worth out of it.

I use a gym these days but in my younger days I worked out religiously with a home system. As long as it's used it's a good buy.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Meh, I've always prefered free-weights. A smith/power cage would be ideal if I could afford one.

Last edited:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used one for several years now, cannot remember the model off the top of my head. It had helped me a lot. Yes I used to love free weights, but, they take up a lot of space to store, and set up with, especially when you need a bench also. The bowflex is simply handier and easier and quicker to set up and use. And I never was albel to get into a routine of going to a gym, so it is the ideal answer for myself.

Buy an extra set of power rods if you can, you will need them eventually. I lost 100 poinds and the bowflex was part of the reason why.

Good luck with it.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's one expensive clothes hanger.:grin2:

Anyone here ever used one or owned a bowflex? I just bought the bowflex revolution XP , yeah i'm crazy! After tax, shipping, lat tower and additional plates accessories, total price is about $3,200!

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen the Revolution ads on TV. It looks like a completely different system then the rubber bands you might associate bowflex with. Good luck. If money and space wasn't an issue, I'd consider one too.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used one for several years now, cannot remember the model off the top of my head. It had helped me a lot. Yes I used to love free weights, but, they take up a lot of space to store, and set up with, especially when you need a bench also. The bowflex is simply handier and easier and quicker to set up and use. And I never was albel to get into a routine of going to a gym, so it is the ideal answer for myself.

Buy an extra set of power rods if you can, you will need them eventually. I lost 100 poinds and the bowflex was part of the reason why.

Good luck with it.

+1 The machine is relatively unimportant as long as it gets used.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depending how serious one is about it. Different machines train the body differently, resulting in different builds and types of strength. Depends on goals. For example many of the nautillus type machines in the gym have a cam to compensate for the limitations of range of motion/ anatomy. Doing 60lbs on a cammed curl machine and 60lbs on a preacher curl bench and a flat bar are quite different.
But something is always better than nothing.

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
At one time or another, I looked into purchasing these BowFlex[es] but ended up with a complete SoloFlex workout system. Then from there, I bought my friend's never used complete Olympic workout set bench and all. The latter tookup the whole garage. All in all, I should've just joined a swim club and learn how to swim. That would've been THE IDEAL workout regiment for me. Of course, Your Methods May Vary accordingly so. . . :)

Enjoy!

meuge

Enlightened
I hate to tell you, but it's a real waste of money.

Machines won't tone your supporting muscles, and having one at home is just an invitation to forget about it.

A local gym charges $150 to start and $30/month. $3200 would buy me and my girlfriend 4 years at a gym... where there are over 50 different machines, as well as freeweights, which get updated as they get worn out or old. Not only that, but I get to GO THERE, which means that while I am at the gym, I have nothing to distract me from working out.

Finally, I get to pay the $3200 over a period of over 4 years, which goes a long way towards an engagement ring.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate to tell you, but it's a real waste of money.

Machines won't tone your supporting muscles, and having one at home is just an invitation to forget about it.

A local gym charges $150 to start and $30/month. $3200 would buy me and my girlfriend 4 years at a gym... where there are over 50 different machines, as well as freeweights, which get updated as they get worn out or old. Not only that, but I get to GO THERE, which means that while I am at the gym, I have nothing to distract me from working out.

Finally, I get to pay the $3200 over a period of over 4 years, which goes a long way towards an engagement ring.

What is and what isnt a waste of time and money seems to be VERY individual thing. I know a lot of people, myself included who have purchased gym memberships and simply not gone because of the time it takes out of ones day, and now with the cost of gas, the cost it would take to go there and back.

Conversely, I bought a Bowflex and use it every single day, and have gotten good results from it.

For you, it sounds as it if would indeed be a waste of time and money.

For me, the gym membership that went unused was a much larger waste of time and money. Not everyone has the desire and inclination to go socialize and work out with groups.

Every person has very different needs, desires, goals, and ideas how to spend their time, money, and energy, and what is indeed a waste of those resources.

IcantC

Enlightened
Tried it, didn't like it. I stick to the good ole gym.

Do track your progress and let us know how it works. Also make sure to watch your diet :).