Fenix P1-CE vs P1D-CE (your opinions)

Stream

Enlightened
Which one of these would you prefer, and is there any difference in output on max? It seems like the P1D-CE is the brightest of the two, whereas he P1-CE has settled for a combination of brightness and runtime - given that it only has one level. And does anyone have runtime plots for the P1-CE?

PS: this is unrelated to the above and may be the inappropriate forum to ask, but does anyone happen to know a good dealer who carries Streamlight ProPolymer Lux 3C and who will ship to Europe for a reasonable price?

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have them both, plus the Q5 version of the P1D.

if i could only have one, it would be the P1D-Q5. why? the flexibility that comes w/the multiple o.p. levels and its greater brightness (if req'd).

on its MAX setting the P1-CE (which i really like for its simplicity and burntime, and it's just a wee bit shorter than the P1D- models) is NOT as bright as the P1D-CE on its MAX setting, and also not much different fr/the P1D-Q5 on its second brightest setting, and on that setting the Mfr. claimed burntime is as good or better than the P1-CE. for most uses would someone really notice the diff. b/t the claimed lumen values for the P1-CE and the P1D-CE on its second highest o.p. level (90lm vs 72lm), w/o a light meter or a side-by-side comparison? additionally, the P1D-Q5 is claimed to be 96lm on its second brightest setting and the burntime is essentially the same or a bit longer than the P1-CE's burntime.

lastly, if you need a longer burntime, then it's simply not there on the P1-CE, but the P1D-CE & Q5 have the LOW setting for when burntime and a low-to-moderate level of light (NOT VERY low) is sufficient.

what i'd really like is a P1-Q5, putting out ~170-180 lumens for 1.5h to 1.75h reg. +0.75h to 1.0h unreg for a total burntime to 50% of ~2.5h.

wonder why Fenix didn't use a Q5 in the P1? did i miss it?

my two shekels.

Last edited:

BobDeLaLuz

Newly Enlightened
i have them both, plus the Q5 version of the P1D.

if i could only have one, it would be the P1D-Q5. why? the flexibility that comes w/the multiple o.p. levels and its greater brightness (if req'd).

on its MAX setting the P1-CE (which i really like for its simplicity and burntime, and it's just a wee bit shorter than the P1D- models) is NOT as bright as the P1D-CE on its MAX setting, and also not much different fr/the P1D-Q5 on its second brightest setting, and on that setting the Mfr. claimed burntime is as good or better than the P1-CE. for most uses would someone really notice the diff. b/t the claimed lumen values for the P1-CE and the P1D-CE on its second highest o.p. level (90lm vs 72lm), w/o a light meter or a side-by-side comparison? additionally, the P1D-Q5 is claimed to be 96lm on its second brightest setting and the burntime is essentially the same or a bit longer than the P1-CE's burntime.

lastly, if you need a longer burntime, then it's simply not there on the P1-CE, but the P1D-CE & Q5 have the LOW setting for when burntime and a low-to-moderate level of light (NOT VERY low) is sufficient.

what i'd really like is a P1-Q5, putting out ~170-180 lumens for 1.5h to 1.75h reg. +0.75h to 1.0h unreg for a total burntime to 50% of ~2.5h.

wonder why Fenix didn't use a Q5 in the P1? did i miss it?

my two shekels.

I think you missed it, I have a Fenix P1D CE Q5 Premium Edition from the Fenix Store and totally recommend it.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
He didn't miss it. P1 is not the same light as P1D. P1 has only one light level.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you missed it, I have a Fenix P1D CE Q5 Premium Edition from the Fenix Store and totally recommend it.

as i unclearly attempted to state, i also have a P1D-Q5. sorry, i wasn't clearer (a common fault of mine). what i meant was precisely what Nake much more concisely explained (thank you, Nake). i was wondering why Fenix didn't put a Q5 in the single-level (non-digital) P1-CE.

Stream

Enlightened
Thanks for clarifying, guys. I have a better understanding of the differences between the two now, and I definitely know which one I want to get ;)

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have either but I believe the P1-CE uses the old fashioned crush-your-battery twisty design (like the Arc AAA and most Peaks) where current has to pass through the threads, with all the potential reliability issues of that design (contamination of threads by dirt, grease, etc.). The P1D uses the newer spring loaded twisty design (like the E01, Civictor, etc.) where the contact surfaces are between the end of the body and the PCB (internal, protected) and should therefore be more reliable. Also no battery rattle.

I much prefer the spring loaded twisty design.

Triple A

Newly Enlightened
I don't have either but I believe the P1-CE uses the old fashioned crush-your-battery twisty design (like the Arc AAA and most Peaks) where current has to pass through the threads, with all the potential reliability issues of that design (contamination of threads by dirt, grease, etc.). The P1D uses the newer spring loaded twisty design (like the E01, Civictor, etc.) where the contact surfaces are between the end of the body and the PCB (internal, protected) and should therefore be more reliable. Also no battery rattle.

I much prefer the spring loaded twisty design.

Have both, (but an older version of the P1D CE) and LOVE both. GREAT point from the above quote, however. I wasn't aware of the differences in design. I had the luxeon version of the P1, and crushed several batteries with the head. I have NEVER had this happen with my P1CESEQ2 (Yes, I think that's right,) but it may be because I am more careful not to crank it down.

My P1D CE isn't the Q5- I'm sure other people know better than I do, but it's probably a Q2 or something. The brightness of this light on high (not turbo) is similar to my P1CE on its one setting.

After reading the above post concerning the differences in switching, I'd go with the new P1D-CE as a first choice. Also, it never hurts to have a little "turbo love" on tap if you need an amazingly bright light for a short period of time. Also, get the OP finish, to eliminate the cree ring. (Mine had a bad one, though as I said, mine was an older version.)

Both are Great Lights.

Stream

Enlightened
Have both, (but an older version of the P1D CE) and LOVE both. GREAT point from the above quote, however. I wasn't aware of the differences in design. I had the luxeon version of the P1, and crushed several batteries with the head. I have NEVER had this happen with my P1CESEQ2 (Yes, I think that's right,) but it may be because I am more careful not to crank it down.

My P1D CE isn't the Q5- I'm sure other people know better than I do, but it's probably a Q2 or something. The brightness of this light on high (not turbo) is similar to my P1CE on its one setting.

After reading the above post concerning the differences in switching, I'd go with the new P1D-CE as a first choice. Also, it never hurts to have a little "turbo love" on tap if you need an amazingly bright light for a short period of time. Also, get the OP finish, to eliminate the cree ring. (Mine had a bad one, though as I said, mine was an older version.)

Both are Great Lights.

I agree, that post was very helpful and is part of the reason I will be going with the P1D-CE.

Many thanks to all who have posted so far :)