Worth getting L1D CE Q5 Premium over L1D CE?

Gator762

Enlightened
Title says it all... I really like my L1D CE. I'm looking at the newer Premium which is supposed to be 120 over 90 Lumens. Mostly looking at the Fenix for a Cree Q5 because I also have the L2 tube to convert my AA light to a 2xAA.

If I go with a textured reflector, how different is the throw?

jezzyp

Enlightened
It will be a fraction brighter but no great shakes.
I just bought a L2D Q5 for me and a L2T Q2 for a present and theres hardly any difference to my eyes in brightness.

Gator762

Enlightened
How about with the textured reflector? Any less "throw" or is the general consensus that the textured reflectors are better?

Maybe I'm a bit too much of a preparedness nut, but I was thinking I can get the Q5 premium and can leave the regular around the house as a second for the GF. :)

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a L1D that I really like.

I bought an L1D-Q5 as well, but ended up returning it. It had a really ringy beam, and a high Vf, and as a result couldn't drive alkaline cells very well.

I would guess I got a fluke, but I have seen it mentioned that the Vf on the Q5s is often high.

EXCALIBUR1

Newly Enlightened
I've got both L1D CE and L1D Q5. The L1D Q5 is marginally brighter than the L1D CE. Both are great flashlights.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
How about with the textured reflector? Any less "throw" or is the general consensus that the textured reflectors are better?

The difference in throw between the textured and smooth reflectors is negligible, the shallow reflector design means there's only so much throw to be had. I prefer the textured reflector as it helps smooth out the corona and defeat the "Cree Donut".

Triple A

Newly Enlightened
The difference in throw between the textured and smooth reflectors is negligible, the shallow reflector design means there's only so much throw to be had. I prefer the textured reflector as it helps smooth out the corona and defeat the "Cree Donut".

Huge +1 on the textured reflector. I LOVE my P1D CE, but will be replacing it with the newer version for the op reflector. At least with the one I bought, I found the cree ring to be unusully bad. (It is still a GREAT light- but I need a smoother beam.)

cabbynate

Newly Enlightened
My L1D CE Premium Q5 has a textured reflector and the throw is good. Not great for 120 lumens. No were near my Surefire E2DL (smooth reflector) and that is 120 lumens also. Don't get me wrong though, the L1D Q5 is a great light.
Mine will most likely end up in the market place as I got a Nitecore D10 and a Nitecore NDI and don't need the Fenix....

Last edited:

Gator762

Enlightened
Guess I'm leaning toward OP reflector then... Throw is kinda neat, but closer fill is more important. Good deal if I don't lose much throw anyways.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I have what looks to be a textured reflector in my L2D Q5 but don't have a normal reflector to compare with the same light. However I like the output. Here is a beam shot on turbo.

L2DTurbo.jpg

I can't believe that in the field it would matter. However people just seem to enjoy lighting up white walls. :grin2: