Are Fenix TK11 and JETBeam JET-III Pro comparable?

bgiddins

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Looking to buy my first "proper" LED light - the only lights I've owned have all been LED or HID dive lights which are monstrous - the smallest LED light I have at the moment is 3 x C cells! It's a delrin Proton Torpedo that's tough as boots and throws a great light - but just a bit too chunky :) Lives in the car as an emergency light now that I don't dive much anymore.

I'm big on rechargeable batteries (hate throwing any batteries into the trash) - so I'm looking for a light that can take 18650s. The two that have caught my eye are the Fenix TK11 and the JETBeam JET-III Pro IBS (although I now see that there's also the new Pro Ultra model), which both appear to be in the same price range and have similar features/runtimes.

As a complete newbie to this style of light - are these comparable lights? I can see that they both have the same CREE LED fitted, and both use 18650s - but the TK11 can also use CR123As if required. Am I right in thinking that the JETBeams don't work on CR123As? Are there any other notable differences? Does the TK11 have a forward clicky or not? Are bike mounts available for both if I end up using them for riding?

My main interest in these lights are for general use - I don't think I'm at the stage where I need an "every day carry" - but I'm looking for a light that I'd be happy to end up with several of in the house, glovebox, camping gear etc.

Also interested in hearing about your reliability experiences with either brand, and opinions from folks who have owned both brands. I also appreciate that owners tend to have brand loyalty to what they own :)

thanks

Ben

Last edited:

shahzh

Newly Enlightened
I'm not good in taking pictures but judging from my naked eye, it seems the JetIII Pro is brighter then the TK11 at 25 metres, but TK11 has more spill. I prefer the JetIII more for its features definitely.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
TK11 is a forward clicky, the low mode is perfect for just a general around the house brightness with a good amount of spill, plus it doesnt roll away when you put it down lol, im not sure if the jetbeam has an anti roll feature

Im saying this because i own a TK11, it is a good torch so theres some brand loyalty for you

bgiddins

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the posts guys - at this stage I'm waiting for both the ST and Ultra to come out and hear some reviews, given that they have the same LED, battery and runtimes.

Looks like you can get the JETBeams in either smooth or orange peel reflectors - would there be any point in getting the OP in the Ultra if it was available? I'm thinking I'm going to end up getting the ST for a pocket light, and maybe the Ultra as well more for it's size (big hands!) while dog walking, but I don't think I need a thrower for this, more of a spill beam.

Bloody things are addictive aren't they - must have spent 6 hours looking at reviews and websites so far!

Latest posts