D10 or EX10... if you could have only one?

roymail

Enlightened
I know many of you are buying both... in fierce loyalty to the CPF tradition. And, that's great. However, if you could have only one of them, which would you choose and why?

Are battery preference and size the only considerations? Otherwise, performance appears to be very close.

Centropolis

Enlightened
I know many of you are buying both... in fierce loyalty to the CPF tradition. And, that's great. However, if you could have only one of them, which would you choose and why?

Are battery preference and size the only considerations? Otherwise, performance appears to be very close.

I chose the EX10 because I think it looks better. Battery type is not too much of a concern to me since I have plenty of both types and not thinking too much about disasters and stuff......

EXCALIBUR1

Newly Enlightened
I don't have one, but I would choose the D10. I love the AA battery format.

streetmaster

Enlightened
I have the EX10. I like it because of the smaller size, stainless bezel looks nice, and the battery life is better. Oh, and the head is easily opened.:twothumbs

MS3

Newly Enlightened
I have the D10 due to AA compatibility. Can use 14500 if I want it a little brighter or good ole AA which you can buy anywhere.

Fenix-store actually sent me an EX10 by mistake ( right during crossover to 4sevens ). I thought about just keeping it, but really wanted AA. Hey, I'm a noob. I can't buy both just yet;). Flashlights purchased in moderation may keep me from becoming a flashaholic. What am I saying, I've spent 3 hours of my Sat researching my next flashlight purchase. Hello, I'm MS3 and I'm ( almost ) a flashaholic:thumbsup:

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the EX10. I like the shorter size, and the stainless steel bezel is gravy.

cabbynate

Newly Enlightened
I have the D10 due to AA compatibility. Can use 14500 if I want it a little brighter or good ole AA which you can buy anywhere.
This is the same reasion I went for the D10 and NDI. I have other lights that I need my reserve of 123 cells for (mainly weapons lights) so its nice to have something I will use 5 days a week run off a rechargeable AA or in a pinch I can run into a 99 cent store and buy a pack of AA for (you guessed it) 99 cents.:broke::thumbsup:

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was faced with this dilemma....I forced myself to only order one (besides it doesn't cost any more if you order in two shipments... :devil:)

I agree the EX10 looks better with the SS bezel ring, but if I buy a CR123 light, I want a less constrained high. I understand that the EX10 is only a tiny bit brighter than the D10...for that I'd prefer a light that takes the ubiquitous AA cells. I wish there was an EX10+ that better took advantage of what CR123s could do. I'd be all over that.

Last edited:

curtispdx

Enlightened
D10. I've used both and, to my eyes, they're both just as bright. Running AAA is a BIG plus for me. By the way, I don't know why but the switch on the D10 is MUCH smoother and easier to use than the one on the DX10 that I used.

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
D10, no doubt about it.
not much difference in brightness.
easy access to the batteries.

EX10 looks better and smaller, but D10 should be the one if I have to pick only one up. ;)

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both and D10. Easy to find batteries and actually a little easier to hold because of the size.

Ritch

Enlightened
Although I'm planning to buy a D10 in the next weeks, I would choose my current EX10. After reading the D10/EX10 reviews, the performance of the E10 with normal AA Alkalines is not too good. Comparing the costs of a Lithium AA and a CR123 (local web), ofttimes the CR123 is cheaper. As it is not difficult to get CR123's from the states (much cheaper) I have more than enough of them.

> richard

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
have both. EX10 gets my vote. why?

1) better runtime (esp. on MAX o.p.) w/CR123A primaries, which can be had relatively cheap for lesser-name ones (e.g. Titanium brand fr/BatteryJunction.com).

2) can still use RCR123A's and get identical performance as the D10 running 14500's (same capacity in RCR & 14500).

would only get D10 if 1) EX10 is just a TAD too short for comfortable use in a large sized manly hand, and/or 2) someone really wants to be able to run AA alkalines or NiMH cells.

my personal sol'n though was to get one of each. am thoroughly enjoying both of them, despite a very minor issue w/my particular EX10 (which doesn't appear to be in anyone else's - so minor, IMO, that i'm *NOT* gonna' send it back).

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
The D10 because of the commonly available AA batteries. I'm using high-capacity rechargeables in it, but in a pinch I'd much rather be challenged with finding (and paying for) AA batteries.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Slimmer is better in my book and I like AA availability.

D10 fits nicely in my back pocket where the EX10 would bulge a little more, plus it fits between my fingers perfectly and length is just right.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for the D10 (which is on it's way to me right now :)). In an emergency situation you are more likely to be able to acquire AAs, and I have quite a lot of LSD NiMH in that size.

I probably will end up getting both later on though!