MIT Article on Recent LED Advances

Bill.H

Enlightened
Good article, thanks for the link Peter.

But this guy [ QUOTE ]
"Nobody will pay 20 bucks for a light bulb–even if it lasts 500 times longer and uses half the electricity," says Frank Steranka, vice president for research and development at Lumileds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, he obviously hasn't met us yet! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well said, Bill.H

Well said!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder when the technological sweet spot will be for LEDs to take over conventional halogen/xenon lighting... 25W? 100W? 500 lumens? 10,000 lumens?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Peter, I was struck by this paragraph that I've excerpted from that article.

Excerpted from TECHNOLOGY REVIEW ("An MIT Enterprise")
"LEDs vs THE LIGHTBULB"

By David Talbot May 2003

...GE says it is close to launching a white-light device that can produce 30 lumens per watt, a considerable improvement over the 10 to 15 lumens per watt rating that consumers are accustomed to seeing on the boxes of typical incandescent bulbs. What's more, the device is designed to last 50,000 hours—about six times the typical incandescent's lifetime. GELcore plans to begin selling LEDs that use this technology later this year and aims to push light output to 50 lumens per watt within two years, says Becker.....

Brightnorm

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Peter,

WOW!!! Can we expect an LS4 with a 5 watt GE LED in it that puts out nearly 150 lumens?

Sign me up for one of those...

By the way, great article.

Tom

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just about everybody is claiming 50lm/watt in "6 months" or more. And it will happen- probably next year.

God willing, we will continue to make 1W pocket lights, which will get brighter each year just like your computer gets faster each year.

As our company grows, we will get back into some of the product lines that we discontinued to streamline ourselves. These include the 5W size (the "LS5") and some of the colors (LS and AAA). As you know, we were the first company to sell a flashlight using a 5W LED (the "LS3").

The 10w+ sizes will have some application in flashlights, albeit a more narrow field of use.

One thing you may want to remember: Making your pocket size light brighter is not so much a matter of wattage but of efficiency. There is only so much wattage you can put in a pocket size package because of battery and heat limitations. But the efficiency increases will make the light brighter and brighter.

Next year, we would really like to be selling a compact 1x123 unit that produces 50 lumens with great tint, smooth beam and a 100k/hr LED life. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:

.. we would really like to be selling a compact 1x123 unit that produces 50 lumens with great tint, smooth beam and a 100k/hr LED life. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Paypal sent /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Klaus

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's another article, "Light bulbs being replaced by microchips". This article says that not only will LEDs make lighting more efficient, but it will enable a new paridigm in how light is used. I definately agree.

We were LED fanantics when LEDs weren't cool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

We are entering an exciting time folks. Of course, you already knew that.

Peter

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
And there was me five minutes ago trying to see past the spots from a 9600 mcd 5mm white LED...and I thought was sucker was bright...I'm behind! Not even seen an LS "in the flesh" yet, in operation or otherwise...

...Waiting for the credit card to arrive...progressively less patiently.