Airport mailing light to myself procedure?

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mailing a light to oneself using a self addressed envelope at the airport. How exactly does this work?

If I try and bring a light that the TSA deems not allowable on a plane. I then have a self addressed envelope to mail the light to myself. How exactly do I mail it to myself? Put the light in the envelope and hand the envelope to the TSA agent and ask him/her to drop it in a mailbox?

Or do I leave the security check line, go somewhere else in the airport that can mail it for it, where would this be located in the airport?

g36pilot

Enlightened
Agree w/Scottaw that you shouldn't have a problem. If you do, the screener should know where the nearest mail drop box is. If not, ask for a TSA supervisor or find a ticket counter agent.

Ayeaux

Newly Enlightened
If you want to mail it yourself with your pre-stamped envelope, you'll probably have to get out of line to go to a mailbox. Most large airports will have a mailbox somewhere. Or, you could rely on the goodhearted folks at your airline's ticket counter to put your envelope in the mail for you. There are also usually kiosks near the TSA checkpoints where you can mail things to yourself, for a fee of course.

loszabo

Enlightened
Mailing a light to oneself using a self addressed envelope at the airport. How exactly does this work?

If I try and bring a light that the TSA deems not allowable on a plane. I then have a self addressed envelope to mail the light to myself. How exactly do I mail it to myself? Put the light in the envelope and hand the envelope to the TSA agent and ask him/her to drop it in a mailbox?

Or do I leave the security check line, go somewhere else in the airport that can mail it for it, where would this be located in the airport?

From what I have seen, you have to find a mailbox and go to security again. So, if you plan to bring a flashlight that might be confiscated (e.g. E2DL) try to be at the security check as soon as possible. In addition you might check it in...

A friend of mine told me, that sometimes airlines help you by giving your "dangerous" item to the pilot, who will hand it out to you after the flight.

g36pilot

Enlightened
A friend of mine told me, that sometimes airlines help you by giving your "dangerous" item to the pilot, who will hand it out to you after the flight.

Pre- 9/11 that was true. e.g. single golf club/putter, over sized delicate item, souvenir walking stick/shallelagh. Now that courtesy is very rare as "questionable" items are dealt with long before the crew can be of any assistance.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If you want to mail it yourself with your pre-stamped envelope, you'll probably have to get out of line to go to a mailbox. Most large airports will have a mailbox somewhere.

Many large airports have ripped out the mailboxes that were there.

Too easy for someone to slip a package-bomb into one of them.

pipspeak

Enlightened
I know that at JFK and SFO, at least, mailing something involves a long walk from the terminal... no more mailboxes in terminals anymore and TSA is no help at all.

Makes me wonder, however, which lights people have had problems with at airports. We should start a list... "warning, the following light might not get through security..."

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Makes me wonder, however, which lights people have had problems with at airports. We should start a list... "warning, the following light might not get through security..."

List wouldn't help. Sometimes it's an over zealous Screener, or one who wants your light.

Taking lights through airports is a topic that has been done to death on CPF.... Then it was resurrected and killed several times over. The consensus is that many CPFers have travelled with multiple, high-end lights; without any real problems. (Still, I won't be risking any of my Surefires on a plane trip).

A good idea would be to leave your strike-bezel lights at home, and don't go to the airport with any light that you can't risk losing.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would approach my courior rep and explain to them. Usually the pilots would take it of your hands and he/she will hand carry it on board and will let you have it back when you reach destination. I can't vouch for other carriers except MAS (Malaysian Airline System).