Petzl Myo RXP

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did anyone hear about the new Petzl Myo RXP?
I have only found this short german article:
http://www.outdoor-magazin.com/serv...die-wichtigsten-neuheiten.234634.3.htm?skip=7

The big difference is that the three light levels can be set by the user, 8-140 lumens. Litium batteries can finally be used (maybe it has a regulated output?). The article mentions that this one was designed for winter hiking.
I don't like the white color though... I hope it will be available in black or green.

odjuli08outdoorfdhmessegd2.jpg

AlexSchira

Enlightened
Hmm...I'm fine with my handful of Tikkas for biking and hiking, always marked off the MYO line as too much for too little, until the newest version with the upgraded LED where I thought about it for a bit. Now you're telling me they finally fixed the lithium issue, and have user-selected output instead of high-medium-low that blasts my night vision all the time? Now we're talking.

fordwillman

Newly Enlightened
Now, if it is regulated, I will take 2. I dont even care if it is white!! I have been looking for quite some time for an outstanding headlamp, with a modern LED and similar features of handheld flashlights w/o much success. This looks very promising, but I am not holding my breath....what is it with HL makers???

hopkins

Enlightened
Petzl always cited 'overheating the LED' as the problem with using lithium
AA batteries. Think that frigid winter temperatures would keep any of the existing Petzl headlamps from overheating with lithiums. Just don't use lithiums
when the air temp is warm - like in the loft of the ski hut where all the hot air has risen.

CampingLED

Enlightened
http://www.schneiderwelt.de/wordpress/?p=251

More detailed page on the thing. Ten light levels plus three strobe modes to program in for the three levels, plus a 160 lumen boost mode. Lithium is confirmed, regulation is implied though the translation is fuzzy.

The difference between Nr 9, 10 & boost does not look right?

Nr9 85Lumen 72m
Nr10 140Lumen 77m
Boost 160Lumen 97m

If nr10 was 100 Lumen it would be more in line.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I had read this sooner I probably wouldn't have gone out and bought an XP yesterday :ohgeez: Oh well, in true flashaholic mentality; it can't hurt to have both :devil:

One thing I really don't like about the XP is; when the diffuser lens is in the down position (not being used) a small amount of light backwashes into your eyes through the tab on the diffuser which is very distracting. I hope the RXP has solved this issue but from the picture it doesn't look as if they have.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. Well you can paint the tab with black paint maybe?

yeah, I need to find the right kind of paint, It has to be dark enough and also not flake off with use. Another solution would be to glue something to the bottom to block out the light. I'd be interested to hear what other people have done (or is it just me who's obsessed enough to be bothered by this)

rotncore

Newly Enlightened
yeah, I need to find the right kind of paint, It has to be dark enough and also not flake off with use. Another solution would be to glue something to the bottom to block out the light. I'd be interested to hear what other people have done (or is it just me who's obsessed enough to be bothered by this)

Modelling paint? made for plastics...

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've applied a couple of coats of citadel miniature paint - "gun bolt metal" which I dug up from the bottom of a drawer. Thanks for the suggestion guys. I hope it lasts. (Don't use tip-ex BTW) I think Petzl would be able to remedy this by making the tab a little shorter and redesigning the plastic body to block out the light. I'll probably still get the RXP when it comes out especially if its regulated. I'll just paint over the tab again if it's a problem.