Sears "diagnostic" fee!

KenTaylor

Newly Enlightened
This afternoon I was in Sears in Goldsboro, NC. The customer in front of me was purchasing a self propelled mower with rear bagger etc. which was on clearance for $99. The sales associate asked him if he wanted the extended service plan for $50. To his credit the customer said "Why would I want to spend $50 on a $99 item? When it wears out I will just buy another one."

So then the associate tells the customer that if he does not buy the service plan there will be a $30 "diagnostic" fee charged before any warranty repairs will be made during the normal 2 year limited warranty.

I do not know how far this policy extends beyond lawn mowers. I will be contacting Sears corporate to find out. However, I do not believe I would purchase any significant item from Sears without investigating the warranty situation in details.

Ken

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately, I like Sears handtools and their replacement policy. Otherwise, I won't enter their store. They're right up there with BestBuy as far as marketing integrity is concerned.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
That gotta be BS, totally defeat the point of warrenty. But wouldn't suprise me if the guy lied about it thou, wouldn't be the first time they do that to get you to buy something.

Wattnot

Enlightened
I'm sure that fee is against the law, as per the Magnuson/Moss act of Congress, which is the teeth behind enforcing all warranties. Whenever you hear something like that, ask for it in writing. I doubt they'll be able to produce it in writing.

I've even been told stuff like that from car dealers when I was about to walk out on their so-called "best deal" and head for another dealer. They would say "well don't you want it serviced here?" or something similar. Again, just ask for any policy like that in writing. It's like a using high pressure hose on weak BS: It washes it all away!

But as for Sears, I just sent them my cancelled credit card. I told them to note the "member since date" of 1984. That's how badly they took care of me on a recent shopping experience that required customer service intervention.

KenTaylor

Newly Enlightened
Here is the latest...

I called the "On-line care associate" number listed on the web site - they were not aware of the diagnostic fee (but at least the person did speak English). Had me call:

Home Service number - voice response system which told me to call the number which I had just called (?) - finally got a rep (who again spoke English) and was transferred to:

Service Department (this time a 3rd world call center) with no clue - transferred to:

Protection Agreement Department (another 3rd world call center) - "Sears does not sell anything with a Sears warranty" "...only a manufacturing (sp) warranty..." "...unless I purchase an extended warranty plan"

And I ask... "if I purchase a $1000 Sanyo flat screen TV it does not come with a parts AND LABOR warranty?" Answer: NO.

Interesting that it did when I purchased it from Wal-Mart!

I guess I am no longer a Sears customer - except that I have in excess of $5000 in Craftsman tools. Perhaps I will take them all back and say I am not satisfied with them and I want my money back. They say Craftsman on them and that reminds me of Sears. I actually did that back when I was in college. Don't remember what the fight with Sears was about. They said they would not refund my money so I offered to break each one so they could replace it. That sort of got their attention and the matter was resolved.

Ken

p.s. How about that Lewis Hamilton!