Anyone have the Lumapower MVP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solar Powered Pickle

Newly Enlightened
I've been researching this light and its looks and performance are awesome. Anyone out there have one of these lights that can share some feedback on its Pros and Cons?

Raybo

Enlightened
I should have mine in hand in a day or so, i'll let you know my thoughts.

Ray

mdocod

Flashaholic
I'm inclined to suggest waiting on the DX-1, but it doesn't appear that all of the specifications are listed yet (not sure if it is multimode), but does seem to have similar output and will *probably* have a similar beam pattern and similar runtime and such, with less cost to boot. Also- less complicated multi-emitter/reflector design, and more battery versatility.

[edit] I just checked out the lumapower website, looked at some beamshots and stuff, the DX-1 is included in a number of their beamshots and it is very floody, the MP appears to have much better throw....

With P7s out now, we'll *probably* be seeing a decline in the multi-reflector setups on standard emitters, replaced with more multi-die emitters in 1 large reflector, and then the trend for maximum lumens will probably move towards using multiple P7s and multiple reflectors.

just my personal thoughts :)

Eric

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MVP and DX1-P7 are very different animals.

The MVP offers 3 levels of output and a true tactical strobe. It also significantly out-throws the P7.

P7 LED's are to Q5's/etc as Lux V's are to Lux 3's. P7 make a great wall of light but they're naturally very floody. In order to make a P7 throw one needs a very deep reflector and the very deep reflector means minimal spill.

The P7's and other multi-die emitters have a great future but they do not and will not replace single die emitters - they're simply for different applications.

The DX1-P7 is single output. The P7 was originally envisioned as an upgrade for existing DX1 owners but because both BatteryJunction.com and LumaPower still had DX-1 stock we decided to offer a small run of complete lights as well as the upgrades. The DX-1 P7 is a great light - think of it as a SF L4 on crack. :)

The DX-1 P7 engine is derived from the MVP engine - so it has the same power source options - and is best driven with 2 li-ions.

Other things you may want to know about the MVP:
-7075 Aluminum construction for ultimate reliability/strength
-the strobe is a REAL tactical strobe - not as flasher. We did a lot of testing and most lights that have 'strobe' are not in the right frequency to cause the Bucha effrect or weill only do so among the most light sensitive people. There is a small optimal range of frequency that works on the widest population group and the MVP was carefully designed to operate in that range.
-SideKick switch - the sidekick switch allows levels modes to be pre-set and no 'memory' chip means less IC's to potentially fail.
-The tailcap projection length and spring weight was carefully determined via survey and testing by a various law enforcement personnel
-The MVP is upgradeable

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
...The P7 was originally envisioned as an upgrade for existing DX1 owners

Matt, i don't see the P7 upgrade listed on your website (did i miss it?). i have a DX1 and would be interested in the upgrade. can you please point me in the right direction?

many thanks, pj aka half-watt

(oh, BTW, add 1 to my repeat purchases. if i'm not mistaken, about a week ago, you sold Milky the SF E1B Backup light, that he used as a host to build one of his Creemator's for me which i just rcv'd today.)

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I have seen, Matt is right. For a P7 to have any kind of real throw, it needs to be in a Mag size or bigger reflector. I had a ElektroLumens P7 longthrow ( possibly the only one made) and it threw very well, but it had a 3" reflector.

If you wanted to make the ultimate P7 throw light, I would recomend a Streamlight Firevulcan Led lantern and a P7. Put 2x18650's in the lantern battery, and you should have a bright 200-400 yard thrower.

As for me, I have not pulled the trigger on the MVP yet, but I most likely will. It looks like they did a good job on the light. Also, from Lumapower's beamshots in the Marketplace-Manufactures section, it looks much brighter than the DX1

Raybo

Enlightened
MVP arrived today and the batteries are a chargin' (thanks Matt!)

As expected the light is solid and well made, I will update later.........Got dark?

Ray

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
PJ - we failed to list the upgrades seperately but they're available - shoot me an email please and I'll get you set up.

Brad - This restraint is so unlike you. Usually you're the one of the first to get every new toy...are you feeling OK? Should we be worried? :)

Raybo - Thank you! Let me know what you think. Oh, be sure to strobe your night adjusted eyes once it's just devastating. Yes, I'm dumb I've done it to myself twice (on purpose!). :p

Raybo

Enlightened
Very nice!

Excellent combination of throw and spill, actually the beam is that wide, you don't have to wave your light around to see a lot of area. I only tried it out to about 100 yards and it's in the same league as my 1274 using a FM deep dish reflector.....BRIGHT!

I did strobe it against a white wall and it was not pleasant, I can imagine what it might do if you had it in someones face. I'll play with it some more tomorrow.

Ray

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anything planned?

shhh! it's a secret. so, can't say much. but i am authorized to say simply, that there's a trans-photonic sub-quantum multi-phasic emitter planned for release at a future undisclosed star date. at this time it's recommended, until all the bugs are worked out that, if you can get your hands on one, you don't set it for any higher output than "stun".

bitslammer

Enlightened
Got mine today. Can't wait for dark. Build quality is excellent from what I can tell so far. The strobe is a much slower strobe than my Novatac 120T and I think that might be more disorienting. Love the Sidekick mode switching feature. Simple and brilliant. Nice forward clickie on the tail. Protrudes just enough to provide a nice touch without sticking out to much.

Maybe if I'm up I'll grab some beamshots. Not sure what I have to compare ot too. Maybe my D-Mini?????

***Update*** Uh wow! Imagine a "wall of light" but with some throw. Don't have time for photos but this thing rocks. I don't really have anything suitable for a side by side but my 15 million candlepower 12v light. I just may do that to!

Last edited:

steve_vance

Enlightened
I've been researching this light and its looks and performance are awesome. Anyone out there have one of these lights that can share some feedback on its Pros and Cons?

I just got one... from my friend Matt K... had a very minor issue with the switch not being seated, going intermittent- but I was able to fix this myself. It's got a really awesome form factor- fits really nicely in the hand- and is brighter than crap. I've got several clustered Cree lights, including the MVP, Peak responder, the Solarforce T700 and a custom Milkyspit-Acorn- McR 6 X Cree R2 in a Surefire M4 Devastator body. The MVP is the brightest of the bunch, save for the Milky mod. And a screaming value for the money. The sidekick switch is really handy. Beam is pure white, nice central hotspot with a huge, bright spill. The really impressive thing about this light though (other than it being literally a photon hose) is the form factor- no kidding, guys, if Darth Vader owned a flashlight, this would be it.

Last edited:

Raybo

Enlightened
I just got one... from my friend Matt K... had a very minor issue with the switch not being seated, going intermittent- but I was able to fix this myself. It's got a really awesome form factor- fits really nicely in the hand- and is brighter than crap. I've got several clustered Cree lights, including the MVP, Peak responder, the Solarforce T700 and a custom Milkyspit-Acorn- McR 6 X Cree R2 in a Surefire M4 Devastator body. The MVP is the brightest of the bunch, save for the Milky mod. And a screaming value for the money. The sidekick switch is really handy. Beam is pure white, nice central hotspot with a huge, bright spill. The really impressive thing about this light though (other than it being literally a photon hose) is the form factor- no kidding, guys, if Darth Vader owned a flashlight, this would be it.

I know all the facts Steve, Now how about some beam shots!

Just kidding!

I gotta hunker down and get some beam shots myself......it's a GREAT light!

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.