Malkoff Drop In Info

digitaldave

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking at some different LED drop in modules for my soon to arrive 6P, and it seems that the Malkoff ones are very popular. I've done a search for info on the different versions, and although there is plenty of info about the M60 (which is out of stock :(), I can't find much about the M60F, M60L and M60LF :(. So, if anyone has experience with any of these, how do they perform? How much less throw do the F versions have compared with their respective standard versions? And how does the M60L version compare with the M60?

Thanks,

Dave.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
The F versions have very limited throw. The M60L can't be beat for the output/runtime combo. The special order M30 running on a 17650 is amazing!

What do you want this drop in to do for you? What situations will you be using it in most?

digitaldave

Newly Enlightened
What do you want this drop in to do for you? What situations will you be using it in most?

A bit of everything really. Sorry, that's not much help :(. I have a couple of other lights that will probably get more use for everyday things (Fenix L1D and soon to arrive SF E1B), so I was thinking about just kitting out the 6P with the brightest drop in I can get, and that seems to be the M60. Sadly, the M60 is currently unavailable, so this got me thinking about the other versions, and how they would compare with the M60 in terms of brightness, throw vs flood etc. Sadly, I haven't been able to get much info :(.

I might also look in to some other incan upgrades for the 6P, as all my lights are LED at the moment - I have a MiniMag 2AA, but it's currently running a Terralux TLE-5EX. It would be nice to have both LED and incan bases covered.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dereelight modules are the furthest throwing D26 drop-ins commercially available, easily besting the M60 from just a few yards and beyond. Be sure to use Dereelight modules w/ the new outer spring, if possible. Makes for a more reliable connection in a 6P host.

NetGod3Com

Newly Enlightened
All the information on everything Gene makes is on his website . Each of these variants are listed along with expected output and current draw. Basically the"L" variant is lower output and the "F" variant has a 25° optic, there is also a "LL" variant, in addition to giving lower output, the various "L" models give longer run times.

roymail

Enlightened
I was thinking about just kitting out the 6P with the brightest drop in I can get, and that seems to be the M60.

Malkoff is all about quality, craftsmanship and performance options.

The M60 is a high quality Q5 with a beautiful, warm beam. It is unique in that it also uses an optic instead of the more common reflector. At the 235 lumen rating, it's plenty bright and competes favorably with any available P60 drop in.

I have the M60L, and while the drop in brightness is certainly noticeable, it's still bright enough for any task I would use it for. And, instead of max brightness for 1.5 hrs, the M60L gives you good brightness for 4.5-5 hrs. I think the M60L is the best available compromise between brightness and runtime. But if brightness is you main objective, go with the M60.

And, until the end of July, they're on sale for $49.50. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who is this "Judy" and whats happening to her??? :eek:

lightsandknives

Enlightened
Dave:

I have an M60F in my 6P and I bought it to be used inside. It doesn't throw that far, but man does it light up a room. And while I say it doesn't throw that far, it certainly throws all the way down the hall, through the living room, and lights up the wall in the dining room with a blast of light. I have an M60LF winging its way to me as we speak for the extra runtime. The M60F is a wall of light with no real hotspot. I use it for those WTF moments that happen in the middle of the night!

If you're looking for throw, stick with the M60, but if you want a wall of light, try one of the Fs.

Last edited:

NetGod3Com

Newly Enlightened
roymail: You can't change it after it's been noticed, that messes up the joke for those that arrive later:D.... leave the typo, it was good.:whistle:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for saving Judy :crackup: I knew you had the courage to do it, if not the digital dexterity.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
kitting out the 6P with the brightest drop in I can get, and that seems to be the M60
Hard to beat the M60 on warm tint, nice mix of throw & spill, etc. Gene is cranking them out at a quicker pace than just a few months ago, get on his mailing list & you'll snag one within a few weeks.

Add the two-stage switch from Sandwiche Shoppe to give more versatility. The 60Ω resistor puts out 15 lumens, about right for close up use with night adjusted eyes.

generic808

Enlightened
The M60's are back in stock as of today. I dumped my M60 and fell in love the the M60F the first time I lit her up :naughty: Now the M60 sits in my cars center console. Although the M60F does have limited throw to about 100 feet, I feel it is the best for indoor use. If you want a thrower for outdoor use, the M60 is the way to go. Whichever you choose, you better hurry and get your order in by the end of the month. That's when the sale ends.

digitaldave

Newly Enlightened
Add the two-stage switch from Sandwiche Shoppe to give more versatility. The 60Ω resistor puts out 15 lumens, about right for close up use with night adjusted eyes.

Thanks for the info on the switch, I was looking for some feedback, but hadn't managed to get any replies on which resistor to use for a low output level. I assume the lower value resistors give higher outputs than the 60 ohm version?

Moka

Enlightened
Few of quick questions...
1. Whats the build like on these drop ins, is the plastic reflector an issue for shock-resistance? or are they still as good as I'm LED (pun intended) to believe.
And what about the plastic ring i can see in the bezel shots i've seen around and the plastic reflector like for heat??? No risk of warping, melting or fragility to set in?

2. Whats the run time like? the quoted times on the site, are they run time @ full power (ie: 140lm for the m60l) or to 50% or to depletion like surefire measured their old 60lm p60 with...
(whats the new 80lm p60 from surefire like? is the 11hrs listed on the site to 50% or depletion?)

3. Finally how does the m60LL compare with the new p60 led module from surefire for throw, spill etc... same output but can someone explain the differences etc...

Cheers guys.