P7 I have given up waiting

NickBose

Enlightened
It's been a looong while since the intro of SSC P7 and yet still none of the mid-range-quality manufacturers release any P7 lights.

I have waited and waited. I have the DX sku 12271 and maybe it's time to get another one as I have given up waiting (I'm not into mod lights like Elektrolumen as they're above my budget level).

Among the available P7 on DX and KD, what throws best in your experience? (opinion from those that have really had them pls).

(Refrain from jumping in and singing the same song: P7 is not for throw. I know that. I just want to know among the lights available which one throws best)

zip

Newly Enlightened
I like the Dereelight DBS V2 Black HAIII.:)

I have the WE P7 and the DBS out throws it considerably.

Last edited:

uluapoundr

Newly Enlightened
Problem is US$200+ is not in mid-range as I define it :mecry:

Nick,
What price range are you considering? The P7 seems to perform best in a modded mag, which doesn't cost more than $75 in parts for direct drive and a little more with mode and regulation (assuming you already have solder, wire, thermal expoxy, and thermal grease). The stock reflecter does pretty well with throw and can be sputtered to clean up the beam.

I got a MTE P7 from DX. Even with it regulated, the light was bright, but was underpowered for the emitter. Direct drive is brighter, but light gets really hot and these small lights don't have enough heatsinking. The OP reflector is very floody, not much throw.

If you really want a P7 Mag, PM me, maybe we can work something out.

Bullet Bob

Enlightened
The elektrolumens at 139.00 is probably the best high quality bargain out there and the mod is perfect. I had Wayne do two of these and the result is just incredible. I power them with 3 low loss nimh d batteries (accupower) and now I have lights that throw real well indeed and out perform a lot of lights at two and three times the cost. and Wayne even provides the light in black. I sent two in colors and he deducted 18.00 off of each one for my conversions. The conversion is high quality with a heavy heat sink and the lights can run and run and never get hot. Its one of the best bargins going right now. I would'nt buy anything less.

NickBose

Enlightened
Nick,
What price range are you considering?
If you really want a P7 Mag, PM me, maybe we can work something out.

Thanks for the offer but what I am looking for is an off-the-shelf average quality P7 from companies like Fenix or Tiablo, within $100 shipped internationally (surprised fact: not everybody in the world live in CONUS :wave: ) and I think it's quite reasonable to expect that considering Fenix TK10 and TK11 pricing.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
The elektrolumens at 139.00 is probably the best high quality bargain out there and the mod is perfect. I had Wayne do two of these and the result is just incredible. I power them with 3 low loss nimh d batteries (accupower) and now I have lights that throw real well indeed and out perform a lot of lights at two and three times the cost. and Wayne even provides the light in black. I sent two in colors and he deducted 18.00 off of each one for my conversions. The conversion is high quality with a heavy heat sink and the lights can run and run and never get hot. Its one of the best bargins going right now. I would'nt buy anything less.

+1
http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/ca...ser-id=&password=&exchange=&exact_match=exact

uluapoundr

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the offer but what I am looking for is an off-the-shelf average quality P7 from companies like Fenix or Tiablo, within $100 shipped internationally (surprised fact: not everybody in the world live in CONUS :wave: ) and I think it's quite reasonable to expect that considering Fenix TK10 and TK11 pricing.

Well, the offer still stands, just let me know if you change your mind.

I'm sure in time, there will be higher end, off the shelf P7 lights. Not sure if they will be less than $100 though (with international shipping). I've seen a Tiablo modded with a P7, looked like a cool light.

NickBose

Enlightened
No one wants to give their 2 cents?

Among the available P7 on DX and KD, what throws best in your experience?

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems to me if you are willing to save and then spend another $50, that you would have a number of other lights you could choose from. I do not expect to see a $100 Fenix or LP (including international shipping???) to apear any time too soon.

NickBose

Enlightened
I'm glad that I've waited. This looks like a very good P7 for a poor man
The head appears to have a serious mass and depth, and an almost DBS-like reflector I'd say.
Also it's one of a few (or the only one?) P7 on DX and KD that are regulated.
But:
- the finish is weird. is it stainless steel or something? They never mention any aluminium in the decription.
- only one mode - do you think it can be made into 2-modes (maybe by replacing the tailcap? which one? :thinking:)

2737444105_3c6dca3276_o.jpg

2737444253_f0f9c1d6ca_o.jpg

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Except the color it looks like just-another-dx-p7 light. I really can't see anything special about it. Doubt that it is really regulated probably just direct driven or with some small resistor. Those specifications on DX/KD are very often misleading and you can't rely on them.

toadman

Newly Enlightened
That DX P7 light looks like something i'd really be interested in. Fairly small & lightweight. Directdrive is fine cuz I rarely keep it on for long. Anybody have any reviews on this light?

NickBose

Enlightened
it looks like just-another-dx-p7 light.

I beg to differ, it's quite obvious that the reflector has more depth than the Aurora which some reviewers have considered quite a good thrower.
But about the regulation I'm not sure. You can only know when you get one and open it up.

2740220344_b506f334da_o.jpg

Meltdown

Enlightened
I'm very impressed with both throw and flood from my Elektrolumens M*G. and that's with the stock reflector.

easilyled

Flashaholic
I beg to differ, it's quite obvious that the reflector has more depth than the Aurora which some reviewers have considered quite a good thrower.
But about the regulation I'm not sure. You can only know when you get one and open it up.

2740220344_b506f334da_o.jpg

From your picture, it appears that the Aurora reflector is both wider and
shallower than the newer Dx light with the strange finish.

I don't think one can predict which reflector will throw better for the P7 without knowing the beam angle (dispersion) from the P7.

The wider the beam angle, the more important it is to have a wider
reflector to be able to catch the light that disperses to the sides from the
led and to reflect it back into the hotspot.

The narrower, deeper reflector would work better for an led with a
narrower exit beam.